Need to get my beater car to stop smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Based on what I am reading, I might want to give Castrol HM 10w 30 a shot (since it seems that a thicker oil can smoke in the winter).

I think you're on the right track.
I was the poster who mentioned that thick oil in winter can cause problems including smoking. I should add that i was going WAY WAY thick-- meaning adding 20W-50 to 10-40 and then maybe some motor honey on top of that. I was putting all that thick oil in car that called for 5W-30. Plus it's generally colder in Pennsylvania than it is in Virginia.

Thick oil in winter will not increase smoking after your car is fully warmed up (something you might want to keep in mind before inspection).

Having said all that i'm thinking that you might be able to bump up from 10W30 to 10W40 without problem during winter-- or maybe go 2 quarts of each. Best of luck
patriot.gif

Quote:

Next time buy a more trusted model like Corolla, Civic, Neon, Focus or Cavalier.

OMG! I couldn't quit laughing after reading your post! Neons and Cavaliers are probably THE WORST built cars on the road. Pure junk. The Focus isn't much better. The Protege is a much better car than any of the small cars built by the big 3. The only thing you got right in your post was mentioning the Corolla.

"Neons and Cavaliers are probably THE WORST built cars on the road. Pure junk. The Focus isn't much better."

Can't speak for Cavalier, but I have friends with Neon and Focus and they are complete and total POS.

John

It saddens me a lot when I heard the news of a suffering Protege 1.8L due to abuse/neglect. That's one of the really good/reliable engine I've seen from Mazda engineering's so far.

The only way to cure the smoking is to have the engine rebuild and I'm afraid that's gonna cost you $$$.

At this moment, you can simply ignore all advise and keep on topping up motor oil as you drive and become part of the pollution contributor in a global sense, no need to throw in any OTC rat pellets and engine seal or "cure in a can". Nothing will help you now in this case.

My 2c's worth.

Quote:

"Neons and Cavaliers are probably THE WORST built cars on the road. Pure junk. The Focus isn't much better."

Can't speak for Cavalier, but I have friends with Neon and Focus and they are complete and total POS.

John

Crapalier, Leon, and Smocus, all 3 are disposal-mobiles.

"As an answer to all those that think breaking off a lot of crud does damage a friend an I did a test at local junk yard, with the help of the owner. We found a 1979 Toyota PU with a 20R 4-cylinder engine that looked like it was shot at and missed and $%^& at and hit. It smoked so bad it could be used by the Marines for beach assaults. We removed the valve cover and you could not see any detail, like a complete valve spring. the crud was both soft like tar and hard and shiny like glass. The dip stick shows a black spot on the end, but not up to the add mark.

Now here's what we did. We found several oil filters off other engines and cleaned them out with carb cleaner. Nothing but the best for our test. Then we put two quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 1 and two quarts of carb cleaner out of a 5 gal pail into the engine. We started up the engine and ran the snot out of it. It sputtered and smoked and with each passing minute, running at about 3 grand in neutral, it started running better. As the oil filter would get plugged up, we would change it and add a 50/50 mixture of Mobil 1 and carb cleaner. We reved it up and let it idle. Then we drove it around the canyon behind the junk yard, up and down the hills and never spared the horses. We beat this truck like a dog every Saturday morning for a month and each time it ran better and each time it plugged up a filter, and we unplugged it and put it back on. Then we swithched from Mobil1/carb cleaner to Mobil1/Marvel Mystrry Oil. Every one took a shot at driving it. After a couple of weeks, it got driven during the week, too. In six weeks of brutal driving we put about 1k miles on the truck. We had to replace the spark plugs twice, using NGK's both times, nothing but the best for our truck. We also cleaned the carb and pcv a couple of times and put in a new air filter and finally a new oil filter, again nothing but the best. Today the truck runs great, compression is 1=165 2=170 3=165 4=160, thats up about 10 psi per hole, with no thickners or other stuff. If breaking off crud would damage the engine, we would have seen something. We took the pan off twice, first time we scraped it out, second time it was pretty clean. Oil pressure, with a mechanical gauge is 65 psi at 3k in neutral with, finally all Mobil 1 5w-30 oil. A lot of people watched our ASTM level official test and even took turns driving the truck around. It now runs without smoking, knocking or clicking, starts right up and idles smoothly and about 800rpm, and revs like crazy without missing and it pulls the hill behind the junk yard in 4th gear lugging now (5-speed) which on the first day took a struggle in 2nd, buzzing it's brains out. Not very scientific but we had fun. The owner now used the truck for a parts truck, and finally sold it for money to someone down the street. Our testing was so much fun we are going to look for a new myth to bust."

Quote:

Quote:

John

Uhhh, an '03+ Crapalier with an Ecotec will far outlive and outdrive either of these other 2.

Thanks all. Would like to say to skate1968 and the rest of you that I switched over to 10w 30 HM Castrol GTX and the car already smokes about 80 percent less. I couldn't believe it! Not sure what consumption is like. I have been concerned with the smoking because I don't want someone to call the DEQ. Visual smoke is a big no no here.

Thanks all!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

Uhhh, an '03+ Crapalier with an Ecotec will far outlive and outdrive either of these other 2.

Yeah right, and I'm Elvis.
laugh.gif

pull that valvecover and clear the sludge from the drainback holes.
i have fixed a few nasty smokers like that.
if oil stays up top overnight it has plenty of time to seep past the seals and the result is the big cloud in the morning.
had a 327 chevy bugfoggermobile given to me as a kid.
lost about 4 qts of oil on the driveway when i pulled the covers.
cleaned it up and drove it several years.no oil burning between changes.

Quote:

Thanks all. Would like to say to skate1968 and the rest of you that I switched over to 10w 30 HM Castrol GTX and the car already smokes about 80 percent less. I couldn't believe it! Not sure what consumption is like. I have been concerned with the smoking because I don't want someone to call the DEQ. Visual smoke is a big no no here.

Thanks all!!

Well , I sure hope it stays that way .

If it doesn't , I would try to narrow it down a bit by some cheap/easy to do diagnostics - I'n not so sure its your valve stem seals although it could very well be .

Some other considerations if it comes back or is somehow unsat ;
( All mentioned in some form or another previously by other posters )

Headgasket . Partial/intermittant loss of seal (Chamber or other )

Cylinder Head . Same idea with a small crack - most likely in the area of #2/3 exhaust port .

Exhaust Valve Guide problem - possibly related to your hydrallic adjusters being plugged .

In any of the likely scenarios that would lead to any of the above you can expect to have some sort of valve stem seal wear as well .

Maybe some oil trapping up top as other posters have also previously mentioned .

Not wishing this your way , but be prepared for something to let go kinda quickly . And I do mean quickly - usually at the worst possible moment .

Remember ; Forewarned is Forearmed .

dunno.gif
dunno.gif
dunno.gif

Just wanted to let you all know that it is still running. Smoke varies considerably, but it is not nearly as bad as with 2 quarts Valvoline 20w 50 HM and 2 quarts Lucas Stabilizer.

So far so good with Castol 10w 30 HM.

Auto RX one day for my friend in VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back