Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Let me get this straight.....$50/mo for nearly a year...$450? $500?

And there's still $300 left to pay off??

WTH? Just how much do those things cost??

The iPhone 7 was $650 when it came out and the iphone 7 plus was $769. My guess is that the $50 covered both the phone and the cell phone plan. They probably split the $650 price over 24 payments so part of that $50 probably covered the $27 monthly payment and hence there's still about $300 left.

Although the part I don't follow is that if the OP felt bad for her and bought her a phone, what did they really do for her if she was supposed to pay the whole thing back? Then they didn't really buy her a phone, just used their credit?

Unless your brother agrees to pay, it looks like you're going to eat the $300. I imagine the ex gf doesn't talk to you - or if she does have you asked?

If there was an agreement that she would pay you for the phone, you might prevail in small claims court. Without that you have zero leverage.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

The iPhone 7 was $650 when it came out and the iphone 7 plus was $769. My guess is that the $50 covered both the phone and the cell phone plan. They probably split the $650 price over 24 payments so part of that $50 probably covered the $27 monthly payment and hence there's still about $300 left.

Although the part I don't follow is that if the OP felt bad for her and bought her a phone, what did they really do for her if she was supposed to pay the whole thing back? Then they didn't really buy her a phone, just used their credit?

Yeah, it covered the phone payment and the line cost. I really hate to ask my brother to pay the rest, his divorced financially ruined him. I have been helping him get back on his feet and he'd paid back every cent. We had a verbal agreement to pay it back but nothing in writing.
smirk.gif
Looks like I'm going to just have to eat it. Too bad I can't just report it lost and get a replacement and use it for back up.

It's not lost because you know exactly where it is. Verbal contracts are enforceable if it's for less than $500. Not sure about this case because the total owed is now less than $500 and you have evidence to show that she did pay initially so it shouldn't be in dispute. For fun, you should look into small claims court, I think it's about $15 to file.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This one is EASY. Your little brother is responsible for getting the phone back or the $300 payment. Its his girlfriend, its his responsibility. Tell him he owes you $300 immediately. If he any sense of pride and dignity, he will realize this is his problem, and not your problem, and make you whole. If he doesn't, I would cut him off your cell phone plan and threaten to never talk to him again. A pretty hefty price to pay over $300. Man up and handle YOUR responsibilities.

This.

If your brother was cheating on her he needs to sort things out. Looks like they didn't break up peacefully.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah, it covered the phone payment and the line cost. I really hate to ask my brother to pay the rest, his divorced financially ruined him. I have been helping him get back on his feet and he'd paid back every cent. We had a verbal agreement to pay it back but nothing in writing.
smirk.gif
Looks like I'm going to just have to eat it. Too bad I can't just report it lost and get a replacement and use it for back up.

Well technically she took the phone and didn't pay for it...so reporting it lost or stolen could be appropriate. That's an angle I didn't think of earlier...so do it, problem solved.

I’d want to know how she got it to Straight Talk. The IMEI should have been locked to your account and could only have been transferred if she had a signed authorization from the account owner. At least that’s what Sprint requires to remove a phone from an account. You can’t just port it off their service without them “releasing” the phone off their network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back