Need a sensible but fun daily

Saw what I think was an S6 . The Audi insignia had been sprayed the same graphite metallic color. I was trying to blow past a clot in the right lane so I could get some space and this murdered out hot rod is crowding me at 85 . Got the Fridge up to 90 to get to my gap and pulled into the right lane just to figure out what it was. I saw the 4 circles. It was to big for an A4, and too big for the A8.. Whatever it was, I really liked the looks :cool:

Consider one of the last of the turbo Buick Regal 4-doors? I don't know about the last iteration, the hatchback (I think they called it the Sportback), but the 2011-2016 model with the turbo had 220 to 270 hp. My '11 non-turbo w/ 180 hp was a sturdy ride without being harsh, fun to pilot, good on regular gas, and very reliable.

ETA: I see someone mentioned the Regal TourX -- I think that was the last version of the Regal before Buick pulled the plug on sedans. Good-looking vehicle, but I think it has only 250 hp.

Saw what I think was an S6 . The Audi insignia had been sprayed the same graphite metallic color. I was trying to blow past a clot in the right lane so I could get some space and this murdered out hot rod is crowding me at 85 . Got the Fridge up to 90 to get to my gap and pulled into the right lane just to figure out what it was. I saw the 4 circles. It was to big for an A4, and too big for the A8.. Whatever it was, I really liked the looks :cool:
My favorite S6 had the same engine as the R8 and Lambo, a lot going on under that hood and is surprisingly very dependable.

Audi S6 V10 - Copy.jpg

My favorite S6 had the same engine as the R8 and Lambo, a lot going on under that hood and is surprisingly very dependable.

View attachment 35314
owner of our truck shop took up a bay and had to hoist it up to get to the precat O2s. real tight in there

car drove nice just not enough power to move all that weight. the new V8 TTs with a tune have some real hustle

Last edited:
The TT is homely though. With a little tune the V10 will blow it into the next ice age without much trouble.
By V8 TT I meant the 4.0 twin turbo in the last gen S cars. night and day difference. the NA V10 has almost zero tuning potential, no turbos no fun.

that being said the TTS is basically a cute golf r, crank up the boost and it’ll leave almost anything for dead.

Last edited:
Maybe a Chevy SS. I’m not satisfied with the level of depreciation that has taken place, (In my mind for a used car you ought to go out of your way to get a car that has unjustifiably depreciated.) But maybe that’s a sign of imminent “classic” status.

415 hp and 415 ft. pounds of torque in a Chevy Impala sized vehicle. Looks like a rental car, but maybe that’s a good thing.

I bought a Buick Encore last summer based mostly on getting a good deal on it. I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It has a 1.4l turbo which is pretty peppy. I'm not saying it will win any races or anything but it gets up to speed rather quickly. It gets excellent gas milage even though you're at the gas station just as often due to a small fuel tank. And yes, I can get groceries in it.

By V8 TT I meant the 4.0 twin turbo in the last gen S cars. night and day difference. the NA V10 has almost zero tuning potential, no turbos no fun.

that being said the TTS is basically a cute golf r, crank up the boost and it’ll leave almost anything for dead.

That should go alright, its still ugly as sin though. There is an Eaton roots supercharger and Whipple 175AX and tuned ECM available for the 5.2 bringing it to over 710-735 HP 695 Ft/lbs torque depending on the unit so I would say there is plenty of tuning potential for the V10.

I love how we have gone from "A 2.0 accord is on my short list" to "The V8 TT Audi S6 with a tune..."

It makes zero sense to me to have 2 vehicles if one is not a truck/SUV with AWD.

I love how we have gone from "A 2.0 accord is on my short list" to "The V8 TT Audi S6 with a tune..."

It makes zero sense to me to have 2 vehicles if one is not a truck/SUV with AWD.
Depends what your requirements are. I have two of the same AWD sedans, one is just 3 years newer. The 2nd one is the beater, not sure which one that one is, but it's basically the spare and rarely they're both in use at the same time.

I would take a serious look at the new G20 BMW 3 series. They drive so **** nice. Light years better than the previous gen. Even with the base turbo 4 they move pretty good.
Yeah I'll second this. While a M340i like I have is above your range (used), a 330i is within reach. The G20 is a great car. Build quality, refinement, and dynamics are better than the F30. The B series engine with the ZF 8AT and xDrive has been improved and refined over the years to the point of being nearly bulletproof. At this point I'd take BMW reliability over Mercedes any day. A G20 330i will give you comfort, sporty dynamics, without a powertrain that will become a liability.

not sure how much fun you want but the new madza 3 turbo, low $30's meets most of the list has good driving dynamics.

Back