NAPA Platinum vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Dad2leia
On that note, has anybody here had any experience with Donaldson filters, but in an automotive gasoline engine application, not a diesel or off road application? I did find that they do make a filter for my engine #550162, but was curious if they use the same media that is touted to be excellent in their bigger filter apps.

There's a thread around here that shows one (a standard ford FL-1A size/type) cut open - and it's exactly the same as Amsoil or Fleetguard
I am almost positive that Fleetguard oil filters with the syntech filter element was the first on the market with the synthetic type elements for the heavy duty engine market.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
One filter is pro-trapping
One filter is pro-flow.
Both are high quality. Use is dependent on need.

Now if you mounted oil filters on your kitchen sink faucet or refrigerator water circuit it might be a different story when talking about "flow over filtration".

How so, my water pressure is 50 psi.

Originally Posted by CT8
I am almost positive that Fleetguard oil filters with the syntech filter element was the first on the market with the synthetic type elements for the heavy duty engine market.

Fleetguard calls theirs "Stratopore"

Donaldson is Synteq - and I am thinking Donaldson was first, before Fleetguard

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
One filter is pro-trapping
One filter is pro-flow.
Both are high quality. Use is dependent on need.

Now if you mounted oil filters on your kitchen sink faucet or refrigerator water circuit it might be a different story when talking about "flow over filtration".

Your water system flow source is operating at it's max pressure point all the times ... unlike a PD oil pump does in an engine's oiling system, as I already discussed above.

In the case where 50 psi is the constant operating pressure (line in your water system), you'll be able to see a flow difference through the filter as the filter's flow restriction increases. But with a PD oil pump not in relief (ie, not operating at it's max relief pressure), then as long as the pump in not in pressure relief the oil flow through the filter will remain the same regardless of the filter's flow restriction.

A water filters sees 100% filter pressure differential - since the outlet is atmospheric

A gear driven positive displacement oil pump will push oil in, through over, or around any filter media.
The filter media won't slow it down - - it either keeps up with the flow, or it fails (holes/tears)

A water filters sees 100% filter pressure differential - since the outlet is atmospheric.

True ... and to add, if a filter's outlet was to the atmosphere, the PD oil pump would only generate a few PSI on it's outlet to force all the oil through the filter. If the filter's flow restriction increased by 5 PSI, then the PD pump would just increase it's output pressure by 5 PSI to keep the same flow. PD pumps just keep forcing the same volume until the resistance gets to a point where the pressure relief valve starts shunting oil away from the pump's output.

At the kitchen water faucet 50 psi can be when the valve is closed. It can be closed and the pressure not go up because it is a huge system with many open taps other places. In an engine we have one oil circuit of our own.

Particles of silica etc don't come in one micron accuracy spheres into an engine, like the graphs and numbers show. Hanging one's hat on 20 versus 35 or 30, or 10 versus 15, whatever, from a table doesn't make sense when particles look like potatoes and slivers. They aren't that round. Maybe someone better can explain how they do it. Using highly graded test dust? We don't get that in our air intake.

Any Delta P will be a higher PSI added before the filter on a positive displacement gear oil pump. Flow should be the same before and after the filter since the oil pump is geared to the engine RPM. Except for when the oil pump bypass starts to open and with a higher PSI before the filter that should start to kick in at a slightly lower RPM with a higher resistance to flow with a clogged filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Particles of silica etc don't come in one micron accuracy spheres into an engine, like the graphs and numbers show. Hanging one's hat on 20 versus 35 or 30, or 10 versus 15, whatever, from a table doesn't make sense when particles look like potatoes and slivers. They aren't that round. Maybe someone better can explain how they do it. Using highly graded test dust? We don't get that in our air intake.

Doesn't matter ... the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test is still an apples to apples comparison of filter efficiency under the same test conditions. We've had these same discussions under other names before.

A water filters sees 100% filter pressure differential - since the outlet is atmospheric

A gear driven positive displacement oil pump will push oil in, through over, or around any filter media.
The filter media won't slow it down - - it either keeps up with the flow, or it fails (holes/tears)

Just playing the devils advocate but my whole house filter is in line 1" in and out so it maintains 50 psi at the filter at all times but as the filter gets dirty flow will reduce because of no bypass valve.

A water filters sees 100% filter pressure differential - since the outlet is atmospheric.

True ... and to add, if a filter's outlet was to the atmosphere, the PD oil pump would only generate a few PSI on it's outlet to force all the oil through the filter. If the filter's flow restriction increased by 5 PSI, then the PD pump would just increase it's output pressure by 5 PSI to keep the same flow. PD pumps just keep forcing the same volume until the resistance gets to a point where the pressure relief valve starts shunting oil away from the pump's output.

A PD pump does in fact outlet to atmosphere after going through the various restrictions in the engine and drain back into the sump. Like the house system its only the restrictions in the system that allow it to build pressure.

There's more parts in an oil filter to slow flow, than just media. If you feel Ultras flow the same as OEM Hyundai 2.4 filters, someplace-somehow, a screw is loose somewhere.

Your 50 psi water system uses city water pressure that is slightly higher than that and uses a pressure regulator normally. Water pumps are not positive displacement.

In a water supply system, the pump turns off at a certain pressure. Otherwise it would run till it leaks back or breaks the weakest link. Oil pumps in cars run all the time.

Course they do, the cars oil pump runs only with permanently open restrictions, house water supplied by the city or well can have all the restrictions closed. Whats new here?
The point I was trying to make is be it city, well or a car oiling system they are basically the same aside from the types of restrictions involved, the scale of the system makes no difference.

On one house system I have a pump gauge, pre and post filter gauges, because the filter has no bypass I see a pressure drop at the filter outlet when it gets dirty, the pump shuts off sooner because of the restriction.
The point is I am not convinced a high efficiency filter is not going into bypass more often when dirty (because in the engine the pump cannot be shut off if a out of design restriction is met) than one with better flow characteristics when subjected to the same amount of contamination.

The point is I am not convinced a high efficiency filter is not going into bypass more often when dirty (because in the engine the pump cannot be shut off if a out of design restriction is met) than one with better flow characteristics when subjected to the same amount of contamination.

Since we are talking about two synthetic media filters, the Ultra has two plys of media for more efficient filtering. Still both these filters have media that is better than cellulose media.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back