N.J. could require businesses to post salary ranges for open jobs under new bill

My company in NJ has started to list salary ranges. It's about $60k range.
That is the exact issue. My prior employer had a $100K+ range in the payband that I was in. My current company's band is significantly more reasonable, but it is still a large range.

Although this legislation has some good intentions and is a step in the right direction, I don't think it will always have the full intended impact. Employers will often offer midpoint to an external candidate or find a way to offer above the posted range to a very senior level applicant.

Definitely a good idea.

In my past job searches, it was quite annoying to have to go through a chunk of the process before you could find out what the salary would be.

Oh, this is a pay reduction, nevermind...

Exactly !!!

N.J. could require businesses to post salary ranges for open jobs under new bill​

I think it’s a good idea to post salary ranges for all open jobs (with necessary education/ experience / qualifications) to prevent tons of applicants wanting more money than company is willing to pay. Yes, I do understand all jobs have wiggle room for salary discussion with HR and some very, very specialized jobs don’t have a posted pay range….. I’m talking regular everyday type jobs.

Example:
I know a hospital needing an administrative assistant for their Plant Ops Dept (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, facilities) and there were applicants asking $40-45 an hour to do basic office duties. So a good 80% of all the folks interviewing for this job were wasting their time and hospital Human Resources time. Job paid around $25 and they eventually hired a person for this admin assistant position.

Do you agree or disagree with salary ranges for job postings ?
Most of the jobs that I'm applying for specifically state the salary range, not sure why NJ is having such issues. The problem that I'm running into is on occasion some job postings are asking for too many qualifications from what I can tell. A few I had most qualification but when they add a huge list of "If you don't have a minimum of x number of years and x number of certificates " or don't apply it makes you wonder how many people have ALL of what they want.

Any position that doesn't give a salary range I assume is below the average pay for that line of work, given previous experience in my field. A range should be given to attract candidates and applicants fall within the range based on their experience.

Probably not a terrible idea, but another law?

We simply never have enough money to enforce all laws, so we get even ****tier selective law enforcement messing up our country, causing unnecessary imbalances in justice.

One drawback will be all the roaches applying just because the salary looks juicy. Leading to more automated screening possibly missing good candidates.

I'm in favor. Agreed that it makes it easier for both sides regarding clear expectations about pay - no reason to apply to something you would never take the pay for and also there is little reason for an employer to interview you for it if you are never going to take something in the range they are willing to open.

Also all for a little more negotiating power for the candidate. NYC has the same concept and I have seen it lead to recognition when someone is underpaid and gives the company an incentive to fix it now that it is harder for the company to deny it.

My last job posted the salary range even before the interview. All applicants knew their target salary. Went like this. BTW, the etmology of the word salary' itself is interesting. Roman soldiers were given a 'salary'.

pay grades.jpg

romans.jpg

I was always taught that compensation is very personal. I've had coworkers saying very loudly, "I'm the only one around here not making six figures." First of all, we don't know what one another make. My assumption is the longer a person has been with a co., the more likely they will be making less than their peers, because a person only gets a 3-10% raise every year. Whereas job hoppers can enjoy much more. Secondly, what's the fixation on six figures? It means nothing. So I'd be a naysayer to shaming people who make a lot or a little. Life isn't a game, it's a very serious endeavor.

Strange to make a law requiring it - not sure why this needs to be a legal issue? I always think it's a good idea and I've done my share of hiring for specialized/niche jobs and we were typically using recruiters and the salary range was usually discussed with candidates before we got to them to ensure somebody expecting $100K understood this job was $60K. The biggest issue I see is salary compression - where you hire somebody into a job for $60K but your folks doing the same job at the company are making $55K...this practice of posting salary numbers may force employers to be more in-tune with this issue and how it impacts your folks' morale etc. It never works like you want it to....everyone doesn't automatically get a pay bump but it usually is sorted out over time through additional raises etc.

My company in NJ has started to list salary ranges. It's about $60k range.
I also saw an article that in NJ, 180k is considered "rich." really? When property taxes are 20k+ in a normal house? Numbers are all neither here, nor there.

I also saw an article that in NJ, 180k is considered "rich." really? When property taxes are 20k+ in a normal house? Numbers are all neither here, nor there.
Everything is relative, someone making $55K with a few kids....180 is a lot of money to most people.

Everything is relative, someone making $55K with a few kids....180 is a lot of money to most people.
Not sure if I’d agree. 180K is a lot of money, but is also the lower end of middle class in most major cities.

My property taxes are under $8k/year.

$180k/year would make me a very wealthy person; at least by my metrics.

My property taxes are under $8k/year.

$180k/year would make me a very wealthy person; at least by my metrics.
I live in PA. The former billionaire governor had said $47k for a single person is wealthy and the wealthy need to pay their fair share of income taxes (he proposed a 43% increase). I guess it is all relative.

I live in PA. The former billionaire governor had said $47k for a single person is wealthy and the wealthy need to pay their fair share of income taxes (he proposed a 43% increase). I guess it is all relative.
Love to see a reference to that and exactly what was said - that sounds wacky.

I was always taught that compensation is very personal. I've had coworkers saying very loudly, "I'm the only one around here not making six figures." First of all, we don't know what one another make. My assumption is the longer a person has been with a co., the more likely they will be making less than their peers, because a person only gets a 3-10% raise every year. Whereas job hoppers can enjoy much more. Secondly, what's the fixation on six figures? It means nothing. So I'd be a naysayer to shaming people who make a lot or a little. Life isn't a game, it's a very serious endeavor.

Yes, job hoppers can get much better jumps in pay than staying with same employer.

I tell all people that they shouldn’t hesitate to leave if they get a great job offer somewhere else.

A nice pension kept me at my job, if not for pension I would also be job hopping.

Back