My top 5 2018 oil filter choice . What your ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Royal purple.

I agree...RP filters seem to be built like a tank...but at nearly twice the price of a Fram Ultra I can't justify buying them.

My list would be
1) Fram Ultra
2) Wix Gold (for up to 10K OCI)
3) Mobil 1 (if 'on sale' priced similar to FU).

I also like some of the Korean made EL filters like STP (when in a 'package deal' at AZ...for instance, last month they had 5 qt. Castrol Edge (black) with the STP 10K filter for $26.99.

For autos

Microgreen
Fram Ultra
Amsoil
Mobil1
WIX

For the big diesel motorhome

Cummins stratapour venturi
Cat
Baldwin

UD

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
WORST: OEM NISSAN Made in China. Absolute Garbage engine destroyers

How many documented cases can you share of said filter causing an engine failure? Curious since I own a Nissan; I might want to avoid these. I believe the one on there now was made in Mexico.
Sorry not a data collector but an Engineer with 30 years experience and Master Mechanic with 7 years. Nissan China Filter didn't work on two different Nissans - A Rogue and a Versa Note. Tried another brand, engine immediately runs fine, evidencing no knock or VT racket - put the CHINA filter back on, engine mechanically knocks.
Just look at the picture below - it cant work. No room for oil flow into the filter!

I wouldn't think you could get a China filter now at a dealer, or it may be old stock. You can Read online about mysterious ruining of thousands of versa engines including MINE And A couple guys on here, I don't recall their used ID. There is a TSB on Nissan engine noise - before they figured out it was the filter.

Run a Champion(Mobil1 filter) or a FRAM Toughguard. Toughguards are OEM spec HONDA and Subaru in the USofA. Just painted BLUE
smile.gif

Cant be that bad. Or FRAM works in this application - not EVERY application.

NOt a GONHER fan either. Went thouirgh a few of those and had ADBV failures - Flap softened and remained OPEN when it should be closed. Appear to be a material incompatibility issue.

Last edited:
Hmmm - this seems to often change based on what deals I can find on filters, but right now:

1. OEM AC Delco Ultraguard Gold (no e-core) or M1 Extended (all evidence points to these being the same filter)
2. Amsoil Ea or Royal Purple (again, these filters look to be almost identical)
3. Fram Ultra
4. K&N Gold
5. Wix

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
1. OEM especially on foreign cars
2. Fram Ultra
3. WIX

I think KN and M1 are very over priced for what they are.

Nailed it.

If it's a cartridge filter: Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Purflux, depending on the application and which filters are actually made by them vs offshored

For spin-on cans, in most applications:
Fram Ultra
Wix/Napa Gold
Wix XP/Napa Platinum
M1
Hastings

I cut one open the other day and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of construction. Going to post a picture of it when it quits raining.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I cut one open the other day and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of construction. Going to post a picture of it when it quits raining.

The XP and Platinum are certainly consructed very well, but they don't perform as good as they look.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The XP and Platinum are certainly consructed very well, but they don't perform as good as they look.

I cut open a Fram Ultra too. It's built very well, but the one thing I don't like is the pleats being spaced too far apart on the back side of the filter by the crimped seam, and then spaced too tightly together on the front side of the filter. Makes me wonder if the oil is able to squeeze through on the front side where the pleats are jammed up next to each other. Fram needs to work on evening out the spacing of the pleats all the way around the filter.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko

I cut open a Fram Ultra too. It's built very well, but the one thing I don't like is the pleats being spaced too far apart on the back side of the filter by the crimped seam, and then spaced too tightly together on the front side of the filter. Makes me wonder if the oil is able to squeeze through on the front side where the pleats are jammed up next to each other. Fram needs to work on evening out the spacing of the pleats all the way around the filter.

Having some uneven pleats isn't going to stop any oil flow when there's a positive displacement pump forcing volume through the filter. And no neeed to worry about pleat damage on wide spaced pleats with wire backed media.

Having some uneven pleats isn't going to stop any oil flow when there's a positive displacement pump forcing volume through the filter. And no neeed to worry about pleat damage on wide spaced pleats with wire backed media.

Ideally, all the pleats would be the exact same distance apart from one another. Keyword being Ideally. Most of these filters are too small for the engines anyway; so Ideally, the filters would be bigger with perfectly spaced pleats.

Yes, "ideally" ... but it doesn't really make any difference in the filter's performance. All the oil coming from the pump still goes through the media. Pleats that look "tight" are not going to prevent flow through them. Might be a slight flow reduction through the tightest packed pleats, but won't really make any difference or cause any problems since it doesn't cause any less flow to the engine.

Only time I'd base buying a filter based on the even spacing of the pleats or not is if wide spaced pleats caused the media to tear, ie Tearolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back