My New Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you're new leg is working out and it should let you move forward and get on with life.
thumbsup2.gif

Saddened to hear of your ordeal ! :-(

I wish you all the best in the world . May God bless and keep you and hold you up .

Good to hear. I've still got my limbs, but it's only a matter of time before either I leave or the leg does. Gangrene in the left foot now, but it's "dry necrosis" and after an operation to replace an artery from my heart to my leg, it looks like I'm only going to lose part of one toe. Before the operation the operating Dr said there was a "small chance" (less than 5%) I wouldn't lose my toes but to expect all five were goners, even if the operation was a success (and it was very successful, 97% blood flow to the toes).

I'll even have a few toenails left, it seems. Lots of swelling in my right as well, so who knows.

My father had the same problems I have, had the same operation even, but the outcomes today (versus mid 80's) are massively different. Medical advances are not just about big machines and better drugs; physician knowledge and skill is huge. I think we tend to under-appreciate what the academic and life learning aspect of medicine brings to the table.

My father was a DA, (and so was one of his three brothers) I know more than many people what the issues are, you are good to have a nice fitting prosthetic. Makes a huge difference.

You say you're going to counterfeit handicapped parking permits and sell them to us cheap? Did I hear right?

Seriously, Godspeed through your recovery....and I was feeling so down over my sister's pain regarding her replaced knee (2nd. First one done a year ago).

What can we do to reign in those runagate prosthetic makers?
Should be "regulated"....and no peeps, regulated isn't a dirty word....just look at our friend's situation.

I had no idea that you were struggling with this.

Two thoughts:

First, I am glad that you're about to get this taken care of and be mobile again.

Next, it's a good reminder to all of us on BITOG that posters may be dealing with big issues in their lives, and perhaps a bit more patience is in order when folks get testy in posts...

BlueOvalFitter, I know that I have managed to get under your skin in previous discussions/threads. It wasn't my intention to upset you and I had no idea that this was going on in your life.

I hope you will forgive me.

My father had two prosthetic legs that "attached" above the knee. Back then they looked like flesh colored mannequin legs with sockets for the stumps and shoes on the feet, one solid piece. I watched him struggle to overcome this over time. Remembering that makes me so happy for you seeing how far along the science of prosthetics has come.

Do the therapy and smile, you're mobile again.

Man, y'all are bringing tears to my eyes.
I NEVER wanted pity, sympathy, or people thinking I were looking for a hand out. I was just excited about FINALLY getting my new leg and I wanted to share the great news. But, at the same time tell all of you why I had been so moody up until now.
I now look back at how I was acting and I should have sought out help like I did in the military. It's basically the same situation, one being physical (military) the other being mental (my isolation). Anyway, thank you for your support. With such great people behind me like you fine members, I can go forward and face my situation with much enthusiasm.
I had my 1st therapy session today and it hurt. I just have to exercise muscles that have been dormant for the last 6 months. But, it will get better, I'm sure.
smile.gif

When I broke my leg years ago & got the cast off , my leg looked like a chicken leg . I almost freaked out .

Wondered if it would ever get back to " normal " . And regain its strength . Well , it did , slowly .

Never happens as soon as we wish .

All the best in the world to you ! :)

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
This explains your weak arguments the past 5 months. You literally did not have "a leg to stand on".
21.gif

Excuse my dry humor. My wife and I experience similar hurdles with her debilitating head-on car crash injuries of 10 years ago. Often one has to just resort to laughing about the situation to stay sane.

I wish you the best with your new leg. Just in time to enjoy the spring weather.

That's a good one. I will remember that one.
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's situation. I hope she is doing better, physically, and mentally.
I have some HUGE hurdles to leap. My physical therapist is a Swedish woman in her mid 40's and very muscular. I think she was an alternate on the Swedish Olympic team as a shot putter. Seriously, she does know her job very well. I just hope that I don't go to therapy one morning and start off on the wrong foot.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back