Mahle oil filter for BMW - $5.79

Out of curiosity, I got to looking at some stuff on O'Reilly's website earlier, and thought I'd check to see what their oil filter selection looked like for my BMW 535d. Turns out their house brand MicroGuard is a re-packaged Mahle OX404, and it's $5.79. I ordered it online and will pick up tomorrow to make sure everything's on the up and up. If so, I'm buying several more.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 5.07.11 PM.jpg

That’s cheap. Make sure it comes with o-rings.

I like Mahle. They are still made in Austria.

Fram extra guard has a synthetic blend media. Probably an upgrade over OEM

Sounds like a good price for a good filter. Looks like it has the plastic e-core like construction too which is helpful if needed. Let us know what actually comes in the box.

Looks like it has the plastic e-core like construction too ...
Pretty much all cartridge filters have an eCore style center tube, or no center tube at all if there is an eCore type stanchion in the filter housing to act like a center tube.

Out of curiosity, I got to looking at some stuff on O'Reilly's website earlier, and thought I'd check to see what their oil filter selection looked like for my BMW 535d. Turns out their house brand MicroGuard is a re-packaged Mahle OX404, and it's $5.79. I ordered it online and will pick up tomorrow to make sure everything's on the up and up. If so, I'm buying several more.

View attachment 187805
Quite a bargain. I was paying about $15 Cdn for BMW OEM (Mahle) oil filters.

Every BMW filter I’ve seen OE is a Mann filter stamped Made in Germany. Could be different on some I suppose.View attachment 187884

I haven’t seen a German made Mann filter in years. I buy for VW TDIs and not BMW, but they all are usually made in Poland or CZ.

I took side by side pics of an older German Mann filter next to a newer CZ and posted them on TDIclub.com. There was a definite finished construction quality difference between them. I stopped using Mann and switched to buying Mahle after seeing the difference. The price difference is negligible and I’ve never been disappointed with the finished Mahle product.

What pisses me off is the CZ made filter I got was advertised as German and the vendor wanted me to pay return shipping and pay a restocking fee for his false advertising! Incredible! If you see a Mann filter advertised as made in Germany online ensure you get what you pay for.

I haven’t seen a German made Mann filter in years. I buy for VW TDIs and not BMW, but they all are usually made in Poland or CZ.

I took side by side pics of an older German Mann filter next to a newer CZ and posted them on TDIclub.com. There was a definite finished construction quality difference between them. I stopped using Mann and switched to buying Mahle after seeing the difference. The price difference is negligible and I’ve never been disappointed with the finished Mahle product.

What pisses me off is the CZ made filter I got was advertised as German and the vendor wanted me to pay return shipping and pay a restocking fee for his false advertising! Incredible! If you see a Mann filter advertised as made in Germany online ensure you get what you pay for.
Mahle has moved production of many filters from Austria to China. You have to pay attention to all brands.

I bought 2 last week and they are Made in Germany. I bought the BMW branded part though.

I picked up the Microgard filter at O'Reilly today. It is indeed a re-packaged Mahle OX404 made in Austria, and came with a new o-ring and crush washer. I ordered 4 more @$5.79/ea

On a negative note, I noticed someone hit my car in the parking lot either at work or my doctor's office sometime this week, since those are the only 2 places I've been besides home (was in my wife's car when I went to O'Reilly earlier). No clue who hit it. Looks like their bumper hit mine and they drove away. Did enough damage I'm guessing the bumper will have to be replaced. Trying to remind myself not to be upset over things I can't control.

Last edited:
Was it on eBay? If so, eBay would force the seller to give a full refund and pay return shipping if false advertising products if the buyer makes a claim.

Was it on eBay? If so, eBay would force the seller to give a full refund and pay return shipping if false advertising products if the buyer makes a claim.

No, I don’t buy auto parts on EBay if they are available elsewhere.

It was a vendor who advertises on TDIclub. I had a 2nd negative experience with them a couple years ago. They pre-sold me something and I waited 4 months then they informed me the price increased +30% and had to pay the new price if I wanted it even though I was already charged!

I got the part from a dealership in Texas for less than the original price (before the +30%) price gouging and asked for a refund after telling the owner about it. He would not give me a refund until I publicly shamed him on the forum. He was not aware I was a member but he found out, ha ha. Never again!

I picked up the Microgard filter at O'Reilly today. It is indeed a re-packaged Mahle OX404 made in Austria, and came with a new o-ring and crush washer. I ordered 4 more @$5.79/ea

On a negative note, I noticed someone hit my car in the parking lot either at work or my doctor's office sometime this week, since those are the only 2 places I've been besides home (was in my wife's car when I went to O'Reilly earlier). No clue who hit it. Looks like their bumper hit mine and they drove away. Did enough damage I'm guessing the bumper will have to be replaced. Trying to remind myself not to be upset over things I can't control.

Good and bad news. Maybe there is security camera footage of the impact you can request from either location?

No, I don’t buy auto parts on EBay if they are available elsewhere.

It was a vendor who advertises on TDIclub. I had a 2nd negative experience with them a couple years ago. They pre-sold me something and I waited 4 months then they informed me the price increased +30% and had to pay the new price if I wanted it even though I was already charged!

I got the part from a dealership in Texas for less than the original price (before the +30%) price gouging and asked for a refund after telling the owner about it. He would not give me a refund until I publicly shamed him on the forum. He was not aware I was a member but he found out, ha ha. Never again!
Yeah, that seller needs to change his ways or go out of business when the word spreads that he's a rip-off artist.

View attachment 187805
That’s a steal. I wonder what the difference between the part number MGL (inexpensive) vs. MSL (expensive) MicroGard oil filters the website is showing. I may have to check it out as I just bought a Hengst oil filter from Rockauto delivered for like $18.50.

That’s a steal. I wonder what the difference between the part number MGL (inexpensive) vs. MSL (expensive) MicroGard oil filters the website is showing..
I don't know the story on the Select filter. The pictures on O'Reilly's website don't show a closeup of the black part on the Select filter where the manufacturer's name is. Visually the only difference I can find is the little o-ring on the Select filter is orange, and on the cheap one it's black. Otherwise they look the same to me.

Last edited:
Back