My 2014 BMW M235i at 8 years and 70,000 miles

Not bad. The AUX fan and seeping ATF pan are rare for sure. OFHG at 55k miles is par for the course. They all need replacing around that mileage.

Are you think about the new M2 Comp or the derivative of your current model? The new one is going to be the bees-knees.
If I get a new M240i I want the RWD model and I want to delete the sunroof; I don't know if that will be possible.

You had a 318ti clubsport right?
I was looking at f22’s at the beginning of the pandemic, even m235i’s were dumping in the high teens/low 20’s in so cal.

If I get a new M240i I want the RWD model and I want to delete the sunroof; I don't know if that will be possible.
Sunroof delete currently is possible on the new 2-series. My dealer didn't have an ETA on the RWD model M240i. BMW has to be careful not to step on the toes of the current M2/M4 owners.

Sunroof delete currently is possible on the new 2-series. My dealer didn't have an ETA on the RWD model M240i. BMW has to be careful not to step on the toes of the current M2/M4 owners.
I had heard that sunroof delete was available on the 230i but not the M240i.
The M240i optioned to my specs would probably cost at least $5k less than a clean M2C, so there’s that. Still, I’m partial to the M2 Comp; I like the styling and the S55 motor.

Ugh...I never thought they'd do that.
In the US the sunroof is part of the Premium Package option on the 230i and you have the option to delete it. On the M240i the sunroof is standard- and unlike the F22 M240i there’s no option to delete. Still, it’s an option in most other markets so it should be doable.
As an aside, back in 1991 a friend ordered an E34 M5 for European delivery. In the US leather was standard, but it was a $1k option everywhere else. My friend wanted the M Technic cloth that was standard in Europe, and wasn’t asking for a credit. After some back and forth he was told he could get the standard cloth upholstery- for $2k…

Is the OFHG a one-and-done fix or will the replacement also tend to leak at the similar mileage?

I looked at one of these a few years ago but PPI revealed leaky OFHG and another possible leak I believe at the pan, had a couple other minor things totaling 2k.

It was a nice car but at the time was a bit tired of the Euro car issues and passed. Does anyone know if M240i fixed the issues re: oil leaks?

Is the OFHG a one-and-done fix or will the replacement also tend to leak at the similar mileage?

I looked at one of these a few years ago but PPI revealed leaky OFHG and another possible leak I believe at the pan, had a couple other minor things totaling 2k.

It was a nice car but at the time was a bit tired of the Euro car issues and passed. Does anyone know if M240i fixed the issues re: oil leaks?
Oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gaskets are the gifts that keep on giving. Yes, the replacements typically leak within the same amount of time. That has been my experience with several N52 engines.

Oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gaskets are the gifts that keep on giving. Yes, the replacements typically leak within the same amount of time. That has been my experience with several N52 engines.

That's too bad, I was hopeful they'd come up with maybe a "problem-solver" part revision for that. Still neat cars. Just a pain to own in my area if you need anything done.

They run very hot, both oil and coolant.

That at least partly explains it - I've always kind of idly wondered why BMW with all their technology/expertise has such recurring issues with something like gaskets, which other manufacturers seem to have a better grasp on.

That at least partly explains it - I've always kind of idly wondered why BMW with all their technology/expertise has such recurring issues with something like gaskets, which other manufacturers seem to have a better grasp on.
They use rubber instead of silicone. It's gotta be a cost cutting measure because the M cars (M3, M5) would get viton (silicone) VANOS o-rings and seals while the more pedestrian models got butyl rubber, which dried out and shrunk, requiring rebuild/replacement. You could use the M engine seals if you were doing it yourself rather than getting OE replacements that would fail in the same manner.

Same reason the VCG's always leak, they are just plain-Jane rubber, not silicone like say Ford uses, which last forever.

They use rubber instead of silicone. It's gotta be a cost cutting measure because the M cars (M3, M5) would get viton (silicone) VANOS o-rings and seals while the more pedestrian models got butyl rubber, which dried out and shrunk, requiring rebuild/replacement. You could use the M engine seals if you were doing it yourself rather than getting OE replacements that would fail in the same manner.

Same reason the VCG's always leak, they are just plain-Jane rubber, not silicone like say Ford uses, which last forever.
Actually there are Viton options. But it is not effective.
Problem is twofold:
1. As mentioned, high temperatures.
2. They were running 2 bar pressure in coolant system. Some time ago they dropped pressure to 1.4.

But, people who run upgraded oil coolers and CSF radiators seem to have much less issues. I run N55 oil cooler and dropped temperature from 113-115c to 102-104c.

My minivan runs coolant temperature around 82-83c. BMW runs 117c. But good luck in winter warming up. I had to install block heater and it is garaged.

Actually there are Viton options. But it is not effective.
Problem is twofold:
1. As mentioned, high temperatures.
2. They were running 2 bar pressure in coolant system. Some time ago they dropped pressure to 1.4.

But, people who run upgraded oil coolers and CSF radiators seem to have much less issues. I run N55 oil cooler and dropped temperature from 113-115c to 102-104c.
Most of my experience is E39/E46 vintage, so take that FWIW, but gasket material selection appeared to be a particularly weak point, with rubber, that got hard and leaked, being a default for applications that clearly would have benefited from use of a superior material, like silicone.

Most of my experience is E39/E46 vintage, so take that FWIW, but gasket material selection appeared to be a particularly weak point, with rubber, that got hard and leaked, being a default for applications that clearly would have benefited from use of a superior material, like silicone.
Part of the issue is OFHG design. It has coolant hose attached regardless whether it has heat exchanger or no or oil cooler. So it is super hot.
VCG and oil pan are 100k items. Actually my VCG is doing good at 120k, but again, I am running lower temperatures.
Viton is widely available for BMW’s now, but no apparent results as it is non item in forum talks unlike for example aluminum Mickey Mouse flange, that is worth every penny.

Part of the issue is OFHG design. It has coolant hose attached regardless whether it has heat exchanger or no or oil cooler. So it is super hot.
VCG and oil pan are 100k items. Actually my VCG is doing good at 120k, but again, I am running lower temperatures.
Viton is widely available for BMW’s now, but no apparent results as it is non item in forum talks unlike for example aluminum Mickey Mouse flange, that is worth every penny.
Yeah, my sister had the OFHG leak as well as the VCG leaks. Twice. I did the VCG on our 328i, but surprisingly, the OFHG was fine. My M5 had a remote oil filter housing with lines to it, no issues there. Valve covers also stopped leaking shortly after I started running M1 0w-40, so that was good. Both valve cover breather hoses rotted right off the car though, which was interesting. Never had any cooling system issues with that car, but my sister has had all of them. New rad, her fan exploded, two pressure tanks, coolant sensor leaked...etc.

I've never like the ergonomics or "feel" of BMW's interior-wise not enough luxury. .. I mean how the controls work and the materials used but again I have an old (but on great condition!) 2005 645ci coupe and I guess the newer ones are much better by now. I do like the power and handling though.

It appears to be much much less common with the current engines. However if it does leak it's a huge expense because everything is qt the rear of the engine. $35 Gasket and an hour labor on N55 vs $20 gaskets and "6 hrs" labor on B-series engines.

The OFHG on the N-series is really easy if you have the tools.

Yeah, my sister had the OFHG leak as well as the VCG leaks. Twice. I did the VCG on our 328i, but surprisingly, the OFHG was fine. My M5 had a remote oil filter housing with lines to it, no issues there. Valve covers also stopped leaking shortly after I started running M1 0w-40, so that was good. Both valve cover breather hoses rotted right off the car though, which was interesting. Never had any cooling system issues with that car, but my sister has had all of them. New rad, her fan exploded, two pressure tanks, coolant sensor leaked...etc.
Cooling system issues since about 2012 are pretty much nonexistent. No exploding tanks or radiators. There's one potential failure of a rigid hose which leads from the expansion tank to the radiator. It'll go somewhere north of 50k miles. $25 part and 5 mins to replace.

Plastic mickey mouse connector needs to be replaced at around 100k miles.

Last edited:
Back