Motor Trend: California Adds Illegal ECM Tuning to Smog-Test Checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess some nerds will offer a plug in system that will not leave lots of traces.

I have mixed feelings… it’s a money grab I bet because they are gonna charge to Get an EO number unless there is some ability for the manufacturer to self certify…

If you’re gonna have smog checks, it makes sense to check the programming…

I would guess some nerds will offer a plug in system that will not leave lots of traces.

I have not modified my software (2019 Toyota Tacoma), but I know the OV Tune (https://bit.ly/3rjttap) is a very popular modification. If someone has modified their software, I would be interested to hear what CARB has to say IF you've modified your software BUT you can still meet OEM tailpipe emissions?

I number of years ago I had a VW with an 1835cc motor and a Dellorto carb. I went to several smog shops who would not even try to smog the vehicle because it was an obviously, high performance motor that wasn't stock. They all refered my to go directly to a CARB "Referee Station" and I had to deal with CARB directly.

The results of dealing with CARB were very enlightening. The "Referee" looked at my motor and said..."I don't care what you've done to the motor internally, externally, etc."

"If 1.) you motor has ALL of the stock smog equipment that came from the manufacturer from the year this VW was built (which it did) and 2.) I can adjust the carb to meet the tailpipe emission of the car from the year of manufacturer...that's ALL I care about!"

Long story made short...within 15 minutes os tweaking my Dellorto carb, I easily passed tailpipe emissions, got my vehicle registration sticker to legally license my VW...and drove on down the road! Problem solved!

Ed

Can you get a ticket for not wearing your seat belt? You're in your car and pose no safety issues for others on the road. Playing devils advocate here since I was one who would tune all my turbo'd cars in the past, but I do think this will become standard fare in many states.

Thank the “coal rollers” CA is ridiculous. They expect a .03% failure rate. They need to justify their jobs I guess. Is there going to be another testing fee? Probably. Like the certificate fee that never went away even with digital transmission

I have not modified my software (2019 Toyota Tacoma), but I know the OV Tune (https://bit.ly/3rjttap) is a very popular modification. If someone has modified their software, I would be interested to hear what CARB has to say IF you've modified your software BUT you can still meet OEM tailpipe emissions?

I number of years ago I had a VW with an 1835cc motor and a Dellorto carb. I went to several smog shops who would not even try to smog the vehicle because it was an obviously, high performance motor that wasn't stock. They all refered my to go directly to a CARB "Referee Station" and I had to deal with CARB directly.

The results of dealing with CARB were very enlightening. The "Referee" looked at my motor and said..."I don't care what you've done to the motor internally, externally, etc."

"If 1.) you motor has ALL of the stock smog equipment that came from the manufacturer from the year this VW was built (which it did) and 2.) I can adjust the carb to meet the tailpipe emission of the car from the year of manufacturer...that's ALL I care about!"

Long story made short...within 15 minutes os tweaking my Dellorto carb, I easily passed tailpipe emissions, got my vehicle registration sticker to legally license my VW...and drove on down the road! Problem solved!

Ed
As it should be. You'd think Cali would've learned their lesson the last time Hot rodders showed them the engines they were building/modding were cleaner emissions than the ones originally equipped stock with the car.

As it should be. You'd think Cali would've learned their lesson the last time Hot rodders showed them the engines they were building/modding were cleaner emissions than the ones originally equipped stock with the car.
That's interesting that you mention the more efficient emissions of hot rods because that's pretty much what the Referree told me. Before the testing of tailpipe emissions began, he mentioned to me that he was fully expecting the results to be excellent because it was a more high performance engine and was likely manufactured to tighter tolerances!

Ed

Private property used on public roads.
By your logic license plates are unconstitutional.
1) I live on a series of private roads. It's entirely possible that some vehicles never see public roads. Large farms are a good example.

2) Licence plates are "shall issue" in other words, they meet the constitutional test. You won't be denied a plate if you own the car, for example.

Ed
That's wild. I once had a 79 Ford ltd with the variable century carb. I threw that thing away and put a 2bbl Holley on it. They failed it. As did the referee. Failed for wrong carb.

Can you get a ticket for not wearing your seat belt? You're in your car and pose no safety issues for others on the road.
What if there are passengers in the vehicle? Any back seat passenger may become a potentially lethal projectile to the driver or front seat passenger. The driver could be catapulted sideways or even backwards with lethal consequences.

Surprised this hasn’t been locked yet. I don’t really mind this new proposition either way. There are more important things to worry about.

Why are they wasting all this money? If it passes the sniffer test why does it even matter. Why don't they spend money on something that will make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back