P0121 TPS pending code and losing 12V low reference ground to ECM. lntermittent high ldle and late shift issue.

ya I remember the alero, it was nice.. I think most engines are decent lately, if they are taken care of. Once in awhile no matter the manufacturer you can get a lemon, even Toyota! So they've been marrying even teh radio to the ecm/bcm?! Heck.. I'll take my Toyota and Honda any day, it's plug and play, except for the anti-theft code.. but wow.. I do have a story, had to replace the cassette player on the civic, they separated them for theft in 96. Wanted a CD player instead, got one at a junkyard in perfect shape.. $25! new was like $200+ I kept the main radio/headunit because it ties the keyless entry into the system.

this integration is getting ridiculous, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. ya fancy acronyms.. did Chrysler also hard wire all their relays into the box?
I think they were all part of the board on that one too iow's soldered into the P/C board.

Oh yeah, Good call!! B-4 I buy a Network card or actually IDK if it has slots for a board of choice, as his actually used a USB driven network adapter.
Actually, a year or more ago, when he lost his WiFi I had him looking in the control panel, well over the phone} but IDK if he didn't read it right, of if there really wasn't any caution flags/Icons beside his adaptor driver status.
Cool.. there ya go, something to check on.. people sometimes throw away computers if something doesn't work, they don't know how they work.. most hardware is reliable lately, it's always the software that causes the most issues.
I think they were all part of the board on that one too iow's soldered into the P/C board.
oh wow.. guess i've been too used to older Hondas and my Toyota! Guess I'll just be happy with what I have, drive it into the ground! I can't agree with integration, ok I can because of the CAN network but relays hard wired into the board? no thanks.

Road out and picked the PCM up. Nice ride going out and back.
Went and got a few things at the store, I'm done for tonight.
More tomorrow!

Got the computer in, and been trying to do the re learn.
But it says turn key on for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and the security light should come on and stay on when it goes off in 10 minutes and 30 seconds shut the key off for 5 seconds turn it back on for another 10 minutes and 30 seconds so on and so forth and do that one more time shut the key off for 5 seconds then attempt to start the vehicle. However my security light only comes on for like one second and then goes off and stays off I'm trying to do the 10 minute relearn three times anyhow but I don't like the fact that the security lights not coming on and staying on it and then going off after 10 minutes I don't understand why?

Got the computer in, and been trying to do the re learn.
But it says turn key on for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and the security light should come on and stay on when it goes off in 10 minutes and 30 seconds shut the key off for 5 seconds turn it back on for another 10 minutes and 30 seconds so on and so forth and do that one more time shut the key off for 5 seconds then attempt to start the vehicle. However my security light only comes on for like one second and then goes off and stays off I'm trying to do the 10 minute relearn three times anyhow but I don't like the fact that the security lights not coming on and staying on it and then going off after 10 minutes I don't understand why?
I wish I knew why it's not syncing up like the instructions said it would. I did some digging and I kept finding that same pdf copy you had posted before. Two things that I did find, first the key you use has to be the master key not a copy or valet. Second.. I found this at a forum for a Grand Am, but heck, it was different than the other stuff I was finding figure what could it hurt to try? Also, make sure you get a charger on that battery so that it's not dead after doing this for awhile!!

here's the link and I'll paste the quote

"10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required:
None

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles."

"first the key you use has to be the master key not a copy or valet"

Maybe that's it bud! I am/was using A copy!
Going to try the one that came with the car next!
Thanks for digging around for me!
I was a mite fed-up last night; I took a break from digging around for a little while! Was monkeying around with my terminals and TPS plugs!
Pics. to follow!

EDIT, Yeah, and they did keep calling it a "Master Key"!!

Last edited:
GA and Alero are pretty much Akin to my car. I know Alero does, pretty sure G.A. is the same deal, but the chip in in the lock cylinder on the G.A. and Alero, but the chip is in the key in mine.

I should see lf this PCM will communicate before I do anything else.
NO! I'm gonna try the key that came with the car first!
I disconnected the battery last night too!

Thought about trying the "resistor bypass" hack too.
But that may not work in my case. I think a different department is locked out.

TPS plug and nice-looking crimp with long harness.

Attachments

• Crimp 2.jpg
    Crimp 2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • Shrink Wrap and Tape Marker A B C.jpg
    Shrink Wrap and Tape Marker A B C.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6
  • T P S  Save 1.jpg
    T P S Save 1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 5
  • T P S Pkug Shows How LOck Tabs Go.thumbnail (49).jpg
    T P S Pkug Shows How LOck Tabs Go.thumbnail (49).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4
  • T P S Rear Save 1.jpg
    T P S Rear Save 1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 5
  • T P S Rear Save.jpg
    T P S Rear Save.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 6
Well key that came with the car is the same.
Security light comes on for about 2.5 seconds and goes off.
Tried to connect too, still no communication.
Put old ECM back in and she fired right up.

TPS plug and nice-looking crimp with long harness.
that TPS harness you made looks great! (y)

Well key that came with the car is the same.
Security light comes on for about 2.5 seconds and goes off.
Tried to connect too, still no communication.
Put old ECM back in and she fired right up.
that sucks! odd that it's not behaving like the instructions said it should. I'm wondering if that is a copy not a master key that you have. Because why doesn't the security light stay lit for a longer amount of time? I'd have to do more research to understand more of how this ECM re-programs. I don't know much more right now, would the place you bought it from be able to help with programming? sorry wish I knew more so I could tell ya how to fix this.

that TPS harness you made looks great! (y)
Thank you! Getting my crimps mastered too!
that sucks! odd that it's not behaving like the instructions said it should. I'm wondering if that is a copy not a master key that you have. Because why doesn't the security light stay lit for a longer amount of time? I'd have to do more research to understand more of how this ECM re-programs. I don't know much more right now, would the place you bought it from be able to help with programming? sorry wish I knew more so I could tell ya how to fix this.
It's hard to tell what/where the key I got with the car came from.
Copy, master, hard to tell.

They might be able to help me. I was going to call them today, but it got close to closing time, thought I'd wait till tomorrow, maybe we can try a different ECM too?

What's funny too, is with the old ECM it goes out right away too.
Almost like it don't stay on because it's already programed, and maybe it "thinks" it's programmed with the new ECM too, {but it's not of course}

Last edited:
Thank you! Getting my crimps mastered too!

It's hard to tell what/where the key I got with the car came from.
Copy, master, hard to tell.

They might be able to help me. I was going to call them today, but it got close to closing time, thought I'd wait till tomorrow, maybe we can try a different ECM too?

What's funny too, is with the old ECM it goes out right away too.
Almost like it don't stay on because it's already programed, and maybe it "thinks" it's programmed with the new ECM too, {but it's not of course}
ya see what they tell ya (where you bought it from) about the ecm.. I wish I knew more to tell ya how to fix it. I'm really feeling that it's not a master key that you have. Is there any info on how to determine if it's a master key? I'll have to dig later to find out that if you don't know, all good either way.

yup the crimps are good, you should've seen my soldering techniques back in the day!:LOL: Just gets better with practice.

Have this being shipped Monday.
$70.00
1 Year Warranty
Programed to my VIN!
Will be shipped Monday, already have tracking #!
(Will need PK3 10 minuet times 3 relearn}
May need a crank relearn. I'll worry about that later.

Have this being shipped Monday.
$70.00
1 Year Warranty
Programed to my VIN!
Will be shipped Monday, already have tracking #!
(Will need PK3 10 minuet times 3 relearn}
May need a crank relearn. I'll worry about that later.
oh man! awesome!! so maybe it's not just the immobilizer/security master key situation but that it needs to be programmed to your VIN. ahh I see what you said about PK3? does that mean primary key 3 times re-learn? but the big news is, you found an ECM that has been refurbished! nice!! not nice.. AWESOME!

I looked up the reviews from flashmasters, and no complaints! man you are blessed today, my friend! truly blessed! great price, programmed, warranty, refurbished.. that's news that made my day!!(y)

Taking the used one back to LKQ Monday or Tuesday.
sounds good.. did you ever talk to LKQ about it? Or you just decided that you needed it programmed to your VIN? either way I'm glad you're getting rid of a used, old one.. and getting a refurbished/repaired one!

Yeah, Talked to LKQ. He didn't know nothing, then he said he would have never said their PCM was plug & play, lest key on 10 min. three times anti-theft reset.
Well, he did, but anyways,
Yes, Says PK3 stamped right in my key. You do the relean according to the last set on instructions in the PDF.

I've had about enough of this job, I hope this dang PCM fix's it.
I've learned a few things, but I've had enough fun with this thing.
I want to move on to the ABS light.

Back