More Hastings Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm not really understanding the hub bub.
The center tube supports the media, and allows oil to pass from media to outlet of the filter.
If the tube is slightly short due to machining, or a small portion of the media is exposed at the top plate because a louver was cut in two, what's the deal?
As long as the tube is sealed at the bottom of the filter so dirty oil is forced through the media...and the top plate is sealed at the ADBV, and the media is glued to the top plate, the oil can't bypass the media.
I just used a Hastings on a change last week, a LF613, and used a lot of Baldwin's in the past. I ain't the least bit worried.

I'll explain it to you.
Oil filters are not new to me. Hastings has known about this for many years- they don't fix it.
The center tube is just not short it is mangled and in that area it closes the louvers as well.
The base plate is off center on many and the gaskets end up being so. If none of that bothers you, I can see why.
But that tells me they have bad QC and they don't fix it because they are living in the 70's and think they can get away with it.
In the end I don't care as I use mostly Ultras and have these for OPE use. But it makes me wonder how far away they are
from doing the Purolator deal. They are supplying a shotty product and if they can get away with it, they will only get worse.

If you all are happy screwing these on your car, great for you.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I don't doubt it. But email them about an issue and you get static. My experience anyway.

That was the comment of a former member on here, AirgunSavant. Your experience seems similar.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm not really understanding the hub bub.
The center tube supports the media, and allows oil to pass from media to outlet of the filter.
If the tube is slightly short due to machining, or a small portion of the media is exposed at the top plate because a louver was cut in two, what's the deal?
As long as the tube is sealed at the bottom of the filter so dirty oil is forced through the media...and the top plate is sealed at the ADBV, and the media is glued to the top plate, the oil can't bypass the media.
I just used a Hastings on a change last week, a LF613, and used a lot of Baldwin's in the past. I ain't the least bit worried.

I'll explain it to you.
Oil filters are not new to me. Hastings has known about this for many years- they don't fix it.
The center tube is just not short it is mangled and in that area it closes the louvers as well.
The base plate is off center on many and the gaskets end up being so. If none of that bothers you, I can see why.
But that tells me they have bad QC and they don't fix it because they are living in the 70's and think they can get away with it.
In the end I don't care as I use mostly Ultras and have these for OPE use. But it makes me wonder how far away they are
from doing the Purolator deal. They are supplying a shotty product and if they can get away with it, they will only get worse.

If you all are happy screwing these on your car, great for you.

A recently purchased Baldwin B31 filter has the same noticeably short center tube. If they're allowing this improperly cut tube and its fitment, what other "stuff" are allowing these days. I was a fan for quite awhile... not so much anymore. I've switched to Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, and Bosch Distance Plus filters for the time being.

I cannot afford an engine replacement!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back