More Hastings Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianF
Just read this and unsealed a LF608 that will be going on my 6.7 ISB within the next few months. It looks good. Everything is straight, threads are clean, center tube is nice round and clearly sealed against the base. Date code on mine says April 6th, 2017.

Yes Parker, Hastings, Baldwin and Racor are all under the Hannifin umbrella.

I had emailed them several times regarding the fuel and oil filters for my 6.7 and they were quick to email back and great to deal with.

I don't doubt it. But email them about an issue and you get static. My experience anyway.

It's not about loving or hating one brand name over another. If Baldwin has QC problems, and they do, it's a fact. It isn't that easy to see the center tube end on the baseplate side. I also returned to Zoro two other Baldwins for a v6 Camry, same issue and when I saw the tilted thread for mounting, that was enough.
Otherwise the filters are very nice and heavier duty than most. I was very disappointed with the QC especially since I want to buy American. For the B37 size I went and bought Toyota filters, ten for $34.50 shipped, no tax, from a Toyota dealer. At least Toyota here makes money on them and they aren't made in China.

PeterPolyol said:
How many threads is this denso dog / confidentiality bit going to go on in?
Why was my previous protest against it deleted. I don't understand- is this little play protected behavior on this board? [/quote No. Don't pay it any attention. Really nothing to it. The appearance of the dog is recent. Original post was simply the name of an oil filter. There wasn't a dog or anything else. Just the name of an oil filter. Not even Seinfeld material.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I have several LF240's from late 2016 with half the louvers nearly closed

That's peculiar. I've never seen that problem, despite having used them or the Baldwin equivalent.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I have several LF240's from late 2016 with half the louvers nearly closed
They are newer to me than that but I have not seen a 2018 version.
I'm not impressed at all.

Take some pictures, please
smile.gif

Hastings makes their tubes a bit different than everyone else.

The Baldwin Hastings louvers are open all the way through, not scoops side by side like others. Quite a few louvers were not OK on mine too, some are like smashed down, and they have the rough edge I don't like much. Their design is better than Champ or the others though. There won't be restriction. I have an element right here on my desk. Don't know if it is worth the time to take pictures, as what I have learned is some people are pretty stubborn and see what they want to see, instead of looking at it open mindedly. Take it from two people's words, their louvers are always not fully opened.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have an element right here on my desk. Don't know if it is worth the time to take pictures, as what I have learned is some people are pretty stubborn and see what they want to see, instead of looking at it open mindedly. Take it from two people's words, their louvers are always not fully opened.

You know that here, everyone loves looking at pictures. I'd like to see, if you have the time.

There are worse parts. This is what I could get. It won't matter. Like I said they do have smashed, nearly closed louvers although there are plenty open that will make up for those. You casn see the machine press marks on the smashed louvers. I still don't want metal particles going to main bearings if those ragged edges shed steel. I think they will.
So what does posting pictures from someone else of another brands closed louver issue have to do with Baldwin? Nothing, except to the illogical.
laugh.gif

I added one more to show the ragged end of the center tube not going to the baseplate and it has a smashed louver there too.

It shows examples of bad louver formation, since that was being discussed ... it doesn't have to be brand specific. Simple logic, well at least for most.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It shows examples of bad louver formation, since that was being discussed ... it doesn't have to be brand specific. Simple logic, well at least for most.

The guy who passed here last year that hated louvers...
I'm going that way myself

Originally Posted By: Toto
I used Hastings for years and they all looked like that I think the nonsense is there is none.
TOTO.

People have been doing stupid stuff for centuries.
It's just human nature.

I'm not really understanding the hub bub.
The center tube supports the media, and allows oil to pass from media to outlet of the filter.
If the tube is slightly short due to machining, or a small portion of the media is exposed at the top plate because a louver was cut in two, what's the deal?
As long as the tube is sealed at the bottom of the filter so dirty oil is forced through the media...and the top plate is sealed at the ADBV, and the media is glued to the top plate, the oil can't bypass the media.
I just used a Hastings on a change last week, a LF613, and used a lot of Baldwin's in the past. I ain't the least bit worried.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

As long as the tube is sealed at the bottom of the filter so dirty oil is forced through the media...and the top plate is sealed at the ADBV, and the media is glued to the top plate, the oil can't bypass the media.

Pretty much. Just kinda seems someone's on a mission. Must be that new member enthusiasm

Originally Posted By: beanoil

Actually, as long as the media is sealed 100% between the end of the pleats and the end caps there won't be any dirty oil bypassing. You could take the center tube out and it would still be sealed if the pleats are all glued in well to the end caps. The tube doesn't have to be sealed at the ends, and some filters don't use a seal, like in the Toyota filters ... the center tube just slips into the center of the media.

You don't even have to have a center tube or end caps at all to have good sealing between the outside of the pleats and the inside of the pleats. The complaint here seems like much ado about nothing, unless in their design the center tube actually plays a significant role in sealing (which I can't tell from afar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back