Mom needs a new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by khittner
Get Mom a Honda-powered mower. With an annual oil change, an air filter, and stabilized fuel, it'll outlast her. My Honda-powered Craftsman pusher is 18 years old, and is still a one-pull starter after a 6-month winter lay-up.

I could say the same about my flathead Briggs.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What does she mow with now (before the demise)?

For a self propelled walk behind - Honda. and not just Honda powered - Honda the whole mower... The HRX series is pretty light, though it is the more expensive line.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers

That's a 90 lb operating weight mower. Seems very heavy for an 80-something year old to hassle with, self-propelled or not..

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I've tried 8-9 brands over the years. The easiest to push around is found cheap at Home Depot..... Yard Machine.

I would tend to agree that these types are much less unwieldy and are easier to handle. It's a big difference to be 50-60 lbs vs 80-90 lbs.

The electric mowers, which I'd personally not buy, are even lighter. The HD ryobi is 40#.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What does she mow with now (before the demise)?

For a self propelled walk behind - Honda. and not just Honda powered - Honda the whole mower... The HRX series is pretty light, though it is the more expensive line.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers

That's a 90 lb operating weight mower. Seems very heavy for an 80-something year old to hassle with, self-propelled or not..

It may "seem" very heavy, but it isn't as if she's going to throw it on her back and carry it around the yard. Plus, if (s)he gets the electric start one the battery is on the handle and actually makes it very evenly counter weighted. The older one with the larger battery was almost too easy to turn.

See - me and my wife have both actually mowed with one and know you can run it around the yard with one hand...

BTW, I can also tell you from real experience in a similar situation that a rider is probably a terrible idea ...

Last edited:
If weight is a consideration, then a corded electric one may be an option. Black+Decker makes one that only weighs about 15 pounds altogether. OK for a small yard.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Toro Personal Pace is the answer here!!! These are variable speed , you push harder on the handle to go faster, less pressure to go slower. My 5 year old can mow with a Toro personal pace. He is not strong enough for any other mower, only the Toro Personal Pace works for his strength.

Assuming she doesn't want an electric start riding mower.

This.

Toro Personal pace would be perfect for this application. A riding mower would be good for her physically, but might be too complicated to operate. A lot of the Toros have the auto-choke also, so you just put gas in it, pull it, and go.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Toro Personal Pace is the answer here!!! These are variable speed , you push harder on the handle to go faster, less pressure to go slower. My 5 year old can mow with a Toro personal pace. He is not strong enough for any other mower, only the Toro Personal Pace works for his strength.

Assuming she doesn't want an electric start riding mower.

This.

Toro Personal pace would be perfect for this application. A riding mower would be good for her physically, but might be too complicated to operate. A lot of the Toros have the auto-choke also, so you just put gas in it, pull it, and go.

I fix mowers on the side, I try to cut my lawn with every mower, Yard Machine is a light weight piece of .... and one I enjoy cutting the grass with but pull start and uses a diaphragm as a fuel pump. A riding mower is a good one for her if she wants. But you gotta check out the Toro Personal Pace, one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back