Mobile 1 ESP 0w30 in a modern BMW Diesel?

I just purchased a 2015 bmw 525d and love the car, 38mpg after about 1k of driving!! Now, over in the BMW forums they set a post on fire if you ask anything about oil, anything...

I just purchased a case of Mobile 1 ESP 0w30, having heard it was good oil, and I want to keep the emissions intact to protect the warranty on the fuel pump. A few guys in the bmw forums say this isn’t diesel oil and I’m an idiot for trying it.. Should I return it?
I plan on keeping this car until it blows up, I’d just like it to have a couple hundred thousand miles on it when it does!

I just purchased a 2015 bmw 525d and love the car, 38mpg after about 1k of driving!! Now, over in the BMW forums they set a post on fire if you ask anything about oil, anything...

I just purchased a case of Mobile 1 ESP 0w30, having heard it was good oil, and I want to keep the emissions intact to protect the warranty on the fuel pump. A few guys in the bmw forums say this isn’t diesel oil and I’m an idiot for trying it.. Should I return it?
I plan on keeping this car until it blows up, I’d just like it to have a couple hundred thousand miles on it when it does!
It is excellent oil. ESP 5W30 is probably even better.

You have to use LL-04 spec oil (no phosphorus) or you risk ruining your catalyst. I looked at Mobil 1 ESP on the web and it says low phosphorus, but as far as I can see no LL-04. When I had a BMW diesel (good luck) I found a castrol oil that was a suitable substitute for BMW brand. You may want to do more research before using ESP.

You have to use LL-04 spec oil (no phosphorus) or you risk ruining your catalyst. I looked at Mobil 1 ESP on the web and it says low phosphorus, but as far as I can see no LL-04. When I had a BMW diesel (good luck) I found a castrol oil that was a suitable substitute for BMW brand. You may want to do more research before using ESP.
No he does not have to run per se LL04. He has to run ACEA C3, MB229.51/52, VW504.00/507.00, Porsche C30. All those oils are for use in applications having DPF/GPF.

There’s an old thread on M1 ESP and apparently back then it did have ll-04. It might have dropped it together with other oils when BMW changes their preferred supplier.

It is in fact diesel oil. It has lots of great approvals, including Mercedes and Porsche. It did have BMW approvals in past, most probably lost it for marketing reasons. Use with confidence and don’t listen to those who try to make you look like an idiot, jokes on them

One thing I've noticed about the Mercedes forums and I feel BMW folks would be the same is they only stick with oem and nothing else will do. They had a fit because I was using just regular mobil 5w30 instead of euro spec 5w40. My manual said I can run 5w30 and I wanted to see if it could get better highway miles, and it did. Went from 27avg to **** near 30avg. It didn't use any also. They also fussed because I used a cheap belt tensioner instead of the $200 mercedes tensioner. Rock auto had it for $25. Ran fine with it for 20k then I sold the car.

One thing I've noticed about the Mercedes forums and I feel BMW folks would be the same is they only stick with oem and nothing else will do. They had a fit because I was using just regular mobil 5w30 instead of euro spec 5w40. My manual said I can run 5w30 and I wanted to see if it could get better highway miles, and it did. Went from 27avg to **** near 30avg. It didn't use any also. They also fussed because I used a cheap belt tensioner instead of the $200 mercedes tensioner. Rock auto had it for $25. Ran fine with it for 20k then I sold the car.
An 11% fuel economy increase is not due to moving one grade down. There was more in play than that.

Could be more at play. Wasn't a scientific study or anything. Just observation.
Amusingly, a few years back when Mobil was really pushing the AFE line I believe the claim was that one could gain up to 2% going to AFE from a heavier grade.

Actually they have a point.
Your gain in fuel economy is that regular Mobil1 is ILSAC GF5 oil (probably there were other non oil related factors involved). It is thinner than anything MB229.51 or MB229.5.
You ran it 20K and sold car, which means you have no idea how well oil ran in that engine. You had MPG gain and you think it is fine. You could run 0W20, or 0W16, and you would see better MPG gain. Does that mean it is better oil?
Oil like regular Mobil1 5W30 will wreck havoc on DPF system if you ran it in diesel. That means your DPF which is some $5,000 will die prematurely. That Mobil1 5W30 you ran does not have sufficient HTHS that MB requires, etc. But, yeah for 20k it ran great. Next time keep a car 150k and let us know.

Actually they have a point.
Your gain in fuel economy is that regular Mobil1 is ILSAC GF5 oil (probably there were other non oil related factors involved). It is thinner than anything MB229.51 or MB229.5.
You ran it 20K and sold car, which means you have no idea how well oil ran in that engine. You had MPG gain and you think it is fine. You could run 0W20, or 0W16, and you would see better MPG gain. Does that mean it is better oil?
Oil like regular Mobil1 5W30 will wreck havoc on DPF system if you ran it in diesel. That means your DPF which is some $5,000 will die prematurely. That Mobil1 5W30 you ran does not have sufficient HTHS that MB requires, etc. But, yeah for 20k it ran great. Next time keep a car 150k and let us know.
I didn't run the oil 20k miles. I ran the cheap tensioner. My comment was mostly referring to German luxury car owners. I never said mine was a diesel either. I bought the car with 90k and sold it at 150k using 5w30 when it reached 100k. If 50k using w30 didn't hurt it, I'm sure it could go 150k since new. Like I said, the manual also said 5w30 was suitable.

Back