Mobil EP -vs- Mobil AFE Any Real Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So we've all been using GTL based oils for decades and haven't known it? Suddenly 'GTL' doesn't mean nearly as much as I thought it did prior. Well thanks, at least I know now

Yeah, kind of loses its shine eh? Shell uses FT and I think Pearl is the largest plant designed to produce base oils using that process. Mobil has a number of GTL plants IIRC, it's just that none of them produce base oils but rather other stuff, I believe mostly fuels? Their Qatar plant that was supposed to produce base oils and rival Pearl was eventually cancelled due to cost overruns.

I mean, the product of F-T synthesis is fantastic but now I think calling base oils GTL based only on the fact that whatever raw feedstock (from coal to petroleum to wood to cattle carcass) can wind up being called GTL product, just because of the inherent syngas step on the F-T train. Like I'm just wondering now why does the catalyst feedstock physical state even matter enough to make a distinction on the final product, now? Just to remind us how awesome catalysts are?
lol.gif
At least "F-T" identifies the actual process responsible for the high quality output. All this time I was mistakenly under the impression that GTL referred to F-T synthesis (or other valid process) in which the raw feedstock was originally a gas, from source to catalyst, see THAT would be worth mentioning GTL for IMO. Rather any organic matter feedstock of any physical state being used to produce syngas in the F-T process. Indirect liquefaction of coal involves a syngas step and the products, according to this new perspective, can technically be classified as GTL. Now what am I supposed to call actual GTL F-T oils of actual physical gas genesis?!

Shell bet the farm on Pearl and spent a small fortune on it. I do believe it is the largest GTL plant designed to produced lubricant base stocks in existence. I'm not surprised they are advertising the heck out of it, they have an absolutely obscene amount of money tied up in it and it needs to make product that sells to hopefully recoup that.

Yeah they did, but last I heard (years ago) they weren't struggling too badly what with the methane glut and all. Accoridng to older articles (when the industry was swooning over NG GTL) they tailored their catalysts for shorter chain range of products which is mostly used for "gasoil" aka GTL-FT jet fuel, the same way Exxon is. That's where the sustainability bucks is, with lubricant base oils being low priority at Pearl, but I haven't checked recently what their output is like now.

Sorry I ruined it for you, LOL!
cheers3.gif

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of the XOM Natural Gas plants are setup to produce base oils (unless that's a recent change which I speculated on earlier) because they don't utilize FT. They exist/existed primarily to serve the purpose you've already mentioned. I'm honestly not familiar enough with the topic to speak on the logistics of refitting an existing plant/operation to do FT, but based on the cost overruns on XOM's Qatar plant that was cancelled and what Shell has into Pearl, I'm guessing the costs are substantial.

XOM appears to prefer MTG (Methanol to Gasoline) as their syngas process because, as they state:

Originally Posted By: XOM
The most common technologies for converting syngas into liquids incorporate Fischer-Tropsch synthesis or Methanol synthesis (Methanol-to-Gasoline, MTG). Both Fischer-Tropsch and MTG routes can convert synthesis gas to liquid transportation fuels. However, their respective product slates are very different. The Fischer-Tropsch process typically produces a broad spectrum of straight-chain paraffinic hydrocarbons that can be further refined to produce commercial-quality gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. In contrast, MTG selectively converts methanol to one liquid product: ultra-low-sulfur, low-benzene regular octane gasoline. MTG gasoline meets the requirements for conventional gasoline, is fully compatible with refinery gasoline and meets the ASTM D4814 Specification for Automotive Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel.

That's from here:
https://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/en/pr...oline-synthesis

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

That's the CAS# for PAO (1-Decene). The GTL one is 848301-69-9

That comes up as Distillates, Heavy, C18-50- Branched, Cyclic and Linear, and I'm being told by someone on the Corvette Forum who used to work in the industry that this does not indicate GTL, but group 3. No offence, but I'm confused who to believe.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

That's the CAS# for PAO (1-Decene). The GTL one is 848301-69-9

That comes up as Distillates, Heavy, C18-50- Branched, Cyclic and Linear, and I'm being told by someone on the Corvette Forum who used to work in the industry that this does not indicate GTL, but group 3. No offence, but I'm confused who to believe.

If you google it, you end up with this:

https://www.shell.com/business-customers...l-base-oils.pdf

Which is Shell's GTL base oil sheet with that CAS # right at the top.

Thank you!
smile.gif
The reason I'm so interested is because the new M1 0w40 ESP that is the 2019 Corvette factory fill lists 60-70% of that CAS # as it's base oil. So I'm happy to hear that it is indeed GTL.
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of the XOM Natural Gas plants are setup to produce base oils (unless that's a recent change which I speculated on earlier) because they don't utilize FT. They exist/existed primarily to serve the purpose you've already mentioned. I'm honestly not familiar enough with the topic to speak on the logistics of refitting an existing plant/operation to do FT, but based on the cost overruns on XOM's Qatar plant that was cancelled and what Shell has into Pearl, I'm guessing the costs are substantial.

XOM appears to prefer MTG (Methanol to Gasoline) as their syngas process because, as they state:

The most common technologies for converting syngas into liquids incorporate Fischer-Tropsch synthesis or Methanol synthesis (Methanol-to-Gasoline, MTG). Both Fischer-Tropsch and MTG routes can convert synthesis gas to liquid transportation fuels. However, their respective product slates are very different. The Fischer-Tropsch process typically produces a broad spectrum of straight-chain paraffinic hydrocarbons that can be further refined to produce commercial-quality gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. In contrast, MTG selectively converts methanol to one liquid product: ultra-low-sulfur, low-benzene regular octane gasoline. MTG gasoline meets the requirements for conventional gasoline, is fully compatible with refinery gasoline and meets the ASTM D4814 Specification for Automotive Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel.

That's from here:

Totally ruined the GTL initialism for me! Thanks a lot
eek.gif

Srsly though, I'm even more confused now. Methanol-to-Gasoline and there's a syngas step? Isn't methanOL a liquid? And the product of MTG is gasoline??! Huh?
These xTL initialisms make no sense to me. The M in MTG refers to an actual chemical, methanol liquid, as the direct catalyst feedstock (and somehow there's a syngas phase too, making it technically qualify for GTL moniker as well!???)
But the G in GTL refers to the physical state of syngas catalyst feedstock? Then there's CTL where the C refers to not a physical state anymore, but again a specific chemical (coal) as in the MTL initialism. Even worse, I'm left to assume that the first initial refers to the direct catalyst feedstock, sometimes the physical state, sometimes the chemical compound. Very confusing.

In search of the CAS# 848301-69-9, the results are showing GTL as the marketing name but with the specific description of "Distillates (Fischer-Tropsch), heavy, C18-50-branched, cyclic and linear. 30 - 40. 848301-69-9."

For future clarity, we should confirm if this is the specific CAS# for GTL made specifically via F-T process. That would be good to know, since the CAS# could tell us not only that it's GTL but F-T GTL. If that's the case then Mobil must be using F-T GTL GrIII in the product vs GTL via another process.

Thank you!
smile.gif
The reason I'm so interested is because the new M1 0w40 ESP that is the 2019 Corvette factory fill lists 60-70% of that CAS # as it's base oil. So I'm happy to hear that it is indeed GTL.
smile.gif

But does it really matter quality wise?

cheers3.gif

That's from here:

Totally ruined the GTL initialism for me! Thanks a lot
eek.gif

Srsly though, I'm even more confused now. Methanol-to-Gasoline and there's a syngas step? Isn't methanOL a liquid? And the product of MTG is gasoline??! Huh?
These xTL initialisms make no sense to me. The M in MTG refers to an actual chemical, methanol liquid, as the direct catalyst feedstock (and somehow there's a syngas phase too, making it technically qualify for GTL moniker as well!???)
But the G in GTL refers to the physical state of syngas catalyst feedstock? Then there's CTL where the C refers to not a physical state anymore, but again a specific chemical (coal) as in the MTL initialism. Even worse, I'm left to assume that the first initial refers to the direct catalyst feedstock, sometimes the physical state, sometimes the chemical compound. Very confusing.

In search of the CAS# 848301-69-9, the results are showing GTL as the marketing name but with the specific description of "Distillates (Fischer-Tropsch), heavy, C18-50-branched, cyclic and linear. 30 - 40. 848301-69-9."

For future clarity, we should confirm if this is the specific CAS# for GTL made specifically via F-T process. That would be good to know, since the CAS# could tell us not only that it's GTL but F-T GTL. If that's the case then Mobil must be using F-T GTL GrIII in the product vs GTL via another process.

I think these folk just make up the acronyms as they go, LOL!
grin.gif

I agree with you on the CAS #, perhaps Molakule would know?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Thank you!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'd certainly feel more comfortable to have GTL as the base oil compared to regular group 3.

Thank you!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'd certainly feel more comfortable to have GTL as the base oil compared to regular group 3.

Wasn't the original M1 0W-40 PAO based before XOM switched to Visom (which is a 3+, correct?).
Was there a 0W-40 ESP preceding this new y-body spec stuff, and if so what did it use?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Thank you!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Wasn't the original M1 0W-40 PAO based before XOM switched to Visom (which is a 3+, correct?).

Yes.

Quote:
Was there a 0W-40 ESP preceding this new y-body spec stuff, and if so what did it use?

Also yes. I think mostly GIII? (Visom).

Did we get and answer to the op's question. I got lost with all the oil techno talk. I'd like to know which would be better, EP 5W 30 or AFE 0W 30 for a V8 GDI, that does some towing.

Last edited:
op asked about same grades. you are asking between 0w and 5w.
My simple take.
The 0w will save between 0 and 2% fuel over 5w. especially if you are in cold.

The EP will perform and protect better if you are really extending your oil change interval . out of the bottle and for a regular oci it will be the same protection .

again the easier answer is no if you run a regular oci or even slighly extension. Your oil will make no difference in your engine longevity for practical purposes as long as ypu change the oil.

If you are in super extended, like more than 2x the manufacturers recommendation ; then answer changes to maybe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back