Mobil EP -vs- Mobil AFE Any Real Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: spj
There isnt much pao in afe 0w30. There is a bunch of gtl.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think Mobil 1 was using any GTL in any of their North American oils.

It was listed, briefly, on the MSDS for M1 0w-40 actually. It no longer is. It was actually listed as Fischer-Tropsch.

Originally Posted By: TTK
The industrial processes used in the production of 1-decene are oligomerization of ethylene by the Ziegler Process or by the cracking of petrochemical waxes.

Molakule has confirmed that 1-decene-homopolymer is indeed PAO, FYI.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
BTW, Ray H had an excellent description in another thread:

Quote:
Folks, 1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated IS the technical designation for PAO's. "1-decene" - the raw synthesized olefin building blocks; "homopolymer" - a chain of identical olefins built up to the desired molecular weight; hydrogenated -any "loose" (more correctly, "unbound") valence bonds in the chain have been saturated with hydrogen as protection against oxidation in use.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Are you sure about that? I didn't think Mobil 1 was using any GTL in any of their North American oils.

It was listed, briefly, on the MSDS for M1 0w-40 actually. It no longer is. It was actually listed as Fischer-Tropsch.

M1 0W-40 is still GTL. They took off "Fischer Tropsch" from the description, but the CAS# is the same (GTL).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

M1 0W-40 is still GTL. They took off "Fischer Tropsch" from the description, but the CAS# is the same (GTL).

Good to know!

What CAS# indicates GTL, is it 68037-01-4?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Could be way off here, but Fischer-Tropsch does not necessarily mean GTL

Pretty sure it does:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
The Fischer–Tropsch process (or Fischer–Tropsch Synthesis or F-T) is a set of chemical reactions that changes a mixture of carbon monoxide gas and hydrogen gas into liquid hydrocarbons (like gasoline or kerosene).

I was always under the impression that the 'syngas' intermediate step of F-T synthesis which you quoted was not the subject of "gas to liquid" moniker, but in reference to the actual feedstock for the syngas being Natural Gas, as opposed to coal and petroleum. Are you sure that all F-T oils are now being called "GTL"??

I was always under the impression that the 'syngas' intermediate step of F-T synthesis which you quoted was not the subject of "gas to liquid" moniker, but in reference to the actual feedstock for the syngas being Natural Gas, as opposed to coal and petroleum. Are you sure that all F-T oils are now being called "GTL"??

It's not, as there are a number of different GTL processes, FT is just one of them.

Again from Wikipedia:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Gas to liquids (GTL) is a refinery process to convert natural gas or other gaseous hydrocarbons into longer-chain hydrocarbons, such as gasoline or diesel fuel. Methane-rich gases are converted into liquid synthetic fuels either via direct conversion—using non-catalytic processes that convert methane to methanol in one step—or via syngas as an intermediate, such as in the Fischer-Tropsch, Mobil, and syngas to gasoline plus processes. It shares many similarities with indirect coal liquefaction) that full breaks down coal into hydrogen and carbon that can be reassembled into H-C-chains of a desired length.

Not all GTL products are produced via Fischer-Tropsch, but I think you'll find that in the case of lubricating base oils derived from the Fischer-Tropsch process, that we are talking about GTL.

I look at it as GTL is a process to convert some gaseous feedstock, be it methane or a syngas derived from coal, into a fuel or lubricant. FT is one of those processes. Ergo, the scope of GTL is broader than FT, but FT falls under that banner
21.gif

So we've all been using GTL based oils for decades and haven't known it? Suddenly 'GTL' doesn't mean nearly as much as I thought it did prior. Well thanks, at least I know now

What CAS# indicates GTL, is it 68037-01-4?

That's the CAS# for PAO (1-Decene). The GTL one is 848301-69-9

So we've all been using GTL based oils for decades and haven't known it? Suddenly 'GTL' doesn't mean nearly as much as I thought it did prior. Well thanks, at least I know now

Yeah, kind of loses its shine eh? Shell uses FT and I think Pearl is the largest plant designed to produce base oils using that process. Mobil has a number of GTL plants IIRC, it's just that none of them produce base oils but rather other stuff, I believe mostly fuels? Their Qatar plant that was supposed to produce base oils and rival Pearl was eventually cancelled due to cost overruns.

Yeah, kind of loses its shine eh? Shell uses FT and I think Pearl is the largest plant designed to produce base oils using that process. Mobil has a number of GTL plants IIRC, it's just that none of them produce base oils but rather other stuff, I believe mostly fuels? Their Qatar plant that was supposed to produce base oils and rival Pearl was eventually cancelled due to cost overruns.

Given the volume of product Mobil sells (with GTL ingredients), one must assume they purchase their GTL from Shell?

Given the volume of product Mobil sells (with GTL ingredients), one must assume they purchase their GTL from Shell?

Or they got one of their other GTL lube plants on-line. They had more than one in the tubes, and there were a couple of JV's going on, perhaps they've managed to procure product through one of those?
21.gif

Pennzoil’s marketing made it out to be something like the second coming.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Pennzoil’s marketing made it out to be something like the second coming.

Shell bet the farm on Pearl and spent a small fortune on it. I do believe it is the largest GTL plant designed to produced lubricant base stocks in existence. I'm not surprised they are advertising the heck out of it, they have an absolutely obscene amount of money tied up in it and it needs to make product that sells to hopefully recoup that.

I mean, the product of F-T synthesis is fantastic but now I think calling base oils GTL based only on the fact that whatever raw feedstock (from coal to petroleum to wood to cattle carcass) can wind up being called GTL product, just because of the inherent syngas step on the F-T train. Like I'm just wondering now why does the catalyst feedstock physical state even matter enough to make a distinction on the final product, now? Just to remind us how awesome catalysts are?
lol.gif
At least "F-T" identifies the actual process responsible for the high quality output. All this time I was mistakenly under the impression that GTL referred to F-T synthesis (or other valid process) in which the raw feedstock was originally a gas, from source to catalyst, see THAT would be worth mentioning GTL for IMO. Rather any organic matter feedstock of any physical state being used to produce syngas in the F-T process. Indirect liquefaction of coal involves a syngas step and the products, according to this new perspective, can technically be classified as GTL. Now what am I supposed to call actual GTL F-T oils of actual physical gas genesis?!

Shell bet the farm on Pearl and spent a small fortune on it. I do believe it is the largest GTL plant designed to produced lubricant base stocks in existence. I'm not surprised they are advertising the heck out of it, they have an absolutely obscene amount of money tied up in it and it needs to make product that sells to hopefully recoup that.

Yeah they did, but last I heard (years ago) they weren't struggling too badly what with the methane glut and all. Accoridng to older articles (when the industry was swooning over NG GTL) they tailored their catalysts for shorter chain range of products which is mostly used for "gasoil" aka GTL-FT jet fuel, the same way Exxon is. That's where the sustainability bucks is, with lubricant base oils being low priority at Pearl, but I haven't checked recently what their output is like now.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That plant is in Qatar. I wonder if the shipping embargo is having any effect?

Good question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back