Mobil 1 Synthetic noisier than other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a serious note... People seriously need to clean our ears our regularly. It is something we can easily forget about over time. I am just as guilty of not doing this. I use the very thin wire that hangs Christmas ornaments and take one end of it and roll it into a j shape at the end. No pointy things go in your ears by the way.. And go in as far as long as it just barely starts to feel a bit uncomfortable. No more than that. Should not be really painful at all. Just a touch uncomfortable only. I will say doing this has worked for me very well. And yes I've been very surprised how much I got out. One time ten years ago I got a whole bunch of stuff out. Again, we may not think to do this routinely but even when we don't work in dusty, dirty environments it is surprising how much stuff can build up over time. Clean ears hear a lot better than ones filled with stuff. Q tips are ok as well but should not be painful in using them. My step father hurt his ear drum a good bit by using a q tip.

Last edited:
Glad you are in medical field - but my ENT does mine 2x/year and hearing tested yearly
Or more if new assignments
I'll keep doing oil/engine Db tests for my own edification - nobody here is interested in that ...
That and cost and PITA has ended PUP for me - not M1

Yeah I know what you mean... I am just saying this as an idea and activity we don't normally think about at times. It is easy to forget about doing that. But it does happen more than many would like to think about or realize. I was making this a generalized statement type deal. Not meant for you individually. I should've made that point in that post there. My bad for that.

Having said that... In some motors Mobil 1 may well be the quieter one and in others it could be Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. In my lady's Camry Motorcraft is the quietest in there. Strange how that phenomenon is with different products and different motors.

No I got you BB - always thoughtful & thought provoking - I mean eyes & ears remain the most important things PPE and educational endeavors must protect ...

I always got a kick out of the M1 being loud threads, but then I switched to M1 5W30 EP from the vanilla product and started hearing some subtle sounds that I never heard before. They weren't right on startup but before the engine was warmed up, and it didn't take especially cold weather or anything to hear them.

I honestly think that it's more likely that the strange little noises were due to my oil filter on that cycle being a little squirrely than there being a relation to the EP, but I don't chuckle at the noise threads anymore. And, I'm not particularly inclined to run M1 5W30 EP again.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I always got a kick out of the M1 being loud threads, but then I switched to M1 5W30 EP from the vanilla product and started hearing some subtle sounds that I never heard before. They weren't right on startup but before the engine was warmed up, and it didn't take especially cold weather or anything to hear them.

I honestly think that it's more likely that the strange little noises were due to my oil filter on that cycle being a little squirrely than there being a relation to the EP, but I don't chuckle at the noise threads anymore. And, I'm not particularly inclined to run M1 5W30 EP again.

Ha... I used to chuckle about the noise threads too!

Some cars like certain oils. My old equinox sounded terrible with Mobil 1 but purred with PYB. After I am done with the dealer freebies I am interested to try out some oils and see what my vehicles will like the most.

Just changed Explorer = new sound test ranking:

1) M1 0w40
2) M1 5w40
3) M1 5w30 EP
4) PUP & M1 5w30

Looks like the 40’s might dampen sound better?

I’d use any of the above again = but the 0w40 & EP were Roll Back costs
PUP & 5w40 were overpriced online

I've been saying this for years about Mobil 1 and I was a huge fan of it for years before I quit using it. At the time in our fairly new vehicles, My 98 chevy K1500 with the 5.7L and my ex-wife's 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with the 3800 V6, Mobil 1 made the engines significantly louder. My lifter noise was so loud that I actually took the truck to the dealer since it was still under warranty. They found nothing wrong.

I continues to use Mobil 1 for awhile after that but eventually quit because my oil analysis results were not very good, especially for how much I was spending on it. I went back to Chevron Supreme and my engine noises went away and my oil analysis results became better.

Well I just bought a 5-gal jug of 0W-40 Euro Formula to try in the truck. Submitted rebate on line and we'll see ...

See, I'm not anti M1, heck I have stock in XOM
laugh.gif

People are saying the recent M1 bottles make their cars less noisy and the UOAs have less wear metals.

Do you think M1 isn't the golden elixir it was made out to be in the first place?

We're you being sarcastic in your 1st post here?? If you were then ok. If you were serious then my statement stands. Well stated and I agree.

All I know is, the VANOS on my BMW went from being relatively silent to a can of marbles just by changing to M1. Changing to Rotella T6 5w40 - noise almost gone again.

Then did two full OCIs on Penrite 10w50 - it induced more noise, I think, but I suspect things are just wearing out and the noise is to be expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back