Fresh Oil = Quiet

Why is it that a fresh oil change in my Honda always results in a buttery quiet engine and as the miles rack up (in only do 5k mile OCI's) the engine gets noisier and noisier? Mostly ticking.

I'm running 5w40 HPL SuperCar in my 2010 Honda Accord with 270k miles

Alw
Why is it that a fresh oil change in my Honda always results in a buttery quiet engine and as the miles rack up (in only do 5k mile OCI's) the engine gets noisier and noisier? Mostly ticking.

I'm running 5w40 HPL SuperCar in my 2010 Honda Accord with 270k miles
Always. Especially when cold the oil has a high film thickness. This always contributes to a quiet engine.

Plus there hasn't been any fuel dilution nor any shearing of the VM if that does happen.

Right, kschachn.

After the BIL's Toyota SUV engine oil (unknown brand, 5500 miles OCI, black color) changed with Mag1 Fully Synthetic European Formula A3/B4 5W-40 and genuine Toyota oil filter. For some reason, after the oil change, I noticed the "zhing" sound made as the turbo spools up when i press the accelerator pedal, was now gone. After a few days of use, the "Zhing" sound was back.

This is always the case. Even 30 years ago. I have not measured with a dB meter.

Some cars much more pronounced that others. Currently - The 1.5L T in the CRV, just barely different, almost the same.

The 3.5L Tacoma, I went from year old SS 0W-30 to Euro 0W-30 (4qts) and 1 qt 10W-30 small engine oil and the difference was astounding. The engine is a loud ticky thing normally. Now just butter smooth.

Last edited:
Many times it's simply placebo. I'm curious if anyone has ever done a scientific test on this topic since it is so commonly believed.
I've asked that question, and everybody carries a sound meter around these days (aka smartphone) but got a lot of replies saying the data wouldn't be believable. It's classic BITOG we have people arguing over single digit parts per million oil analysis variance and others saying you can't take reliable data.

I will say on direct injection Hondas you may have a lot of fuel dilution at high miles accumulated on an oil resulting in thin oil and more noise compared to a fresh batch of oil.

Back