Mobil 1 Synthetic noisier than other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using M1 in an '08 and a '12 Camry, both are quiet, the '12 SE especially so. The '08 has lower mileage. Still, among the choices mentioned, use the one that's quiet. if noise important They're all good.

I've been an oil is oil kind of guy but yeah.... M1 is noisier in all my vehicles. Running PUP in my two Pentastars currently and Magnatec in the Chevy 6.0L. The PUP is probably the best in terms of noise level.

Having said that I have no idea if it has any consequence to engine life. I'll continue buying the PUP as long as I can find it on sale at Walmart and Pennzoil continues to offer the rebate.

Noise equals impact. Maybe minor and maybe enough oil film to not make any difference ... But why put up with it? Quiet engines are usually happy engines
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Noise equals impact. Maybe minor and maybe enough oil film to not make any difference ... But why put up with it? Quiet engines are usually happy engines
smile.gif

I feel the same way. Many times, noisy engines proved to be a precursor to expensive repairs.

You are the most anti M1 on site - king of the hill guy on this site with 90% great posts -sos on this topic.
Who else used Db meter - lets "hear" from them.

The technology to measure noise is readily available. How come nobody has, you know, tested this scientifically?

I tested - not controlled in lab - same spot in front of shop - same vehicle - same meter - best top down in ecoboost:
1. M1 5w40
2. M1 EP 5w30
3. PUP & M1 5w30 = tied
I bet 15w50 would be more quiet - not interested - can we have any new subjects?

Originally Posted By: robertcope
The technology to measure noise is readily available. How come nobody has, you know, tested this scientifically?

It is more complex than you think. Noise is frequency, amplitude and time dependent and then audibility also is dependent upon human perception. Another enormously complex subject.

You could do a recording but it requires eliminating background noise levels. Drive into an anechoic chamber, fire up your engine, record, change oil and let it return to the same temp and record again. Then overlap the frequency response data over time and compare.

Easy as pie.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Thread number : 234659879386510 on "Mobil 1 making my engine noisy"
crazy.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
You are the most anti M1 on site - king of the hill guy on this site with 90% great posts -sos on this topic.
Who else used Db meter - lets "hear" from them.

Well sort of ... I'm not really anti M1. If it works well in some motors, I'm all for continued use. I have never said it was bad oil. I know folks who track their cars with M1 and have good UOA's. Plenty of new engines out there that run very well on M1 w/o a hint of noise. Not so many older high mileage ones tough ...

I am vehemently anti noise. Engines that rattle or knock on cold start are a giant no-no in my world. I want quiet cold starts because that means I have sufficient retained film to do the job until pumped and sling oil get going in enough quantity to take over.

I don't need a dB meter. My ears tell me if an oil is doing its job on cold start. If I can't hear anything nasty, that's good enough
smile.gif

And cold start is the place where I start listening. Hood up a day or a week after an oil change. Light it and listen. I have vehicles that sit for a week or two between outings. If an oil is going to drain-off, it'll do it then. If quite after sitting for a week, I'll have a smile on my face and a happy motor.

The 302 in my Bronco is 220K and it'll tell you in a heart beat if it does not like the oil on cold start. I tried M1 out of my own pocket because I'm always looking for long life in engines. It's a lot of work to pull one and go through it. That 302 hated M1 after just 24 hours. Minor rod knock sounds and other rattles. The Saab was/is the same way.

The Bronco on Delo 400 - quiet as can be after a week. The Saab on T6 much less noisy (140K on the clock). In the case of the Saab, it must have syn to counter coking due to design issues. So the search was on including M1. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not ...

Last edited:
my scion xd 2008. mobil 1 was louder than other oils. it runs real quiet with pp, redline, even qs. all 5w20. mobil 1 when used sounded like lifter tick changed oil after only 500 miles noise problem went away....I think mobil 1 is a good oil, I have it in a generator and ford pickup, works great. but not 2009 scion.

What M1? TDT ? Your HDEO's are 40's - and a Mobil 40 has been the quietest in 3 of my GM/Ford units.
(And a xxxx brand 40 would very likely be as well).

Hey.. I have nothing against M1. But I just had to swap out my Chevron Supreme (with only 5000 miles) because I couldn't get over hearing the ticking on start-up. It may or may not matter but it helps me feel warm and fuzzy when my engine purrs rather than ticks. If you cannot hear it consider yourself fortunate.

Gosh - yes - counting my blessings for 30 years - Tig1 for 39 years - as yet another thread fades away with zero technology types who offer a reason - BTW - pretty wide M1 product line with no specificity around which M1
BTW, BTW, guy with perhaps the highest net mileage in signature got there on this stuff - must have sounded like locusts around his place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back