Mobil 1 oils... 5w-20 vs 0w-20 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
assuming both oils cost the same, does one have any benefit over the other

I already chose the AFE from the AAP special with the M1 filter, but was wondering for future reference if there are any benefits to one over the other...... such as long term useage, durability in a hot climate.... anything along those lines

this would be Mobil 1 5w-20 versus Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE(green cap)

also this oil is going into a 2006 Mazda 3 2.0L with 15 or 20k miles

I don't use 20 weights in any of my cars so I don't know much about comparisons...... search engine was pretty useless, if you know of any good threads, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

thanks

Last edited:
No real differance. Both oils are outstanding. Flip a coin. In you engine these oils will run 10,000 mile easily.

At operating temperature both oils have similar viscosity, but 0W is thinner at start up and during the time it takes to get to operating temperature therefore it will lubricate engine parts better.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
At operating temperature both oils have similar viscosity, but 0W is thinner at start up and during the time it takes to get to operating temperature therefore it will lubricate engine parts better.

+1

M1 5W-20 40C vis is 48.3 cSt which is typical of 5W-20 including many dino's.
M1 0W-20 40C vis is 45.5 cSt is better.

As a point of interest, Toyota's and Honda's 0W-20 has a 40C vis under 40 cSt with the same vis at 100C as M1. As a result these are the lightest oils at start-up temps currently available.

I have the 5W-20 in one of my Honda Elements and the 0W-20 in the other Honda Element. Mobil says the 0W will produce better mileage but I have not seen that at this time. I do think the 0W spins over a little easier on the cold -degree mornings. Both cars run extremely quite with none of the so called Mobil 1 noises. Neither car consumes any oil between changes.

When my wife drives hers the gas mileage is not very good, but when I drive it I get on average 5-6 mpg better than she does. She is great for quick starts and late hard stops. My son gets pretty decent mileage out of his. In January of 2009 we took my wife's on a trip to Texas and the best mileage I got out of it was 27.3 mpg. Around town here, especially in the winter with this darn gas we have it averages around 16-19 mpg. I guess that's not to bad for a shoe box with AWD. It would also help if my wife cleaned all the junk out of it.

I've been thinking about running both of these oils in my Mazdaspeed MX5.

The only thing that worries me about the 0W20 weight is that the last well documented Miata that was leak-free that ran it and had a UOA done, had an oil consumption rate of 2 quarts in the 10,046 mile OCI it ran.

By comparison, I have virtually no consumption with my current 10W30.

Last edited:
Well, since you are in balmy, always humid Houston, I would stick with what your doing. Bring your Miata up here and we will talk about 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back