Mobil 1 M1-110 filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1, M1-110 with about 9000 miles from 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 V6. Production date June 20, 2016.

Notes- very nice quality filter. ADBV has no defects or damage, very pliable. Nice can and endplate. Louvered tube has no defects, but some odd shadows in the holes due to lighting- eyeball observation shows zero defects. Some glue smeared on end cap. Huge amount of filter area for a filter of this size, although I did not measure it. This filter sat in my drain pain for over a year, and still had a few ounces of oil inside when I cut it open. Metal parts and ADBV appear identical to Amsoil Ea15k13, although filter media is different. You can see some metal particles , although the UOA on this sample was excellent.

Last edited:
M1-110 pics 1

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of oil did you use during this run? And what did you replace it with? (oil and filter that went in)How many miles on the car total?

Did you use the MM to decide on your 9k OCI?

I can also attest to the M1-110 having good amount of media for its size. Wix is the worst. The 57356 cannot handle 10k
mad.gif
However, the XP version has a taller media cartridge than the non-XP in this size.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of oil did you use during this run? And what did you replace it with? (oil and filter that went in)How many miles on the car total?

Did you use the MM to decide on your 9k OCI?

I can also attest to the M1-110 having good amount of media for its size. Wix is the worst. The 57356 cannot handle 10k
mad.gif
However, the XP version has a taller media cartridge than the non-XP in this size.

Oil used was Amsoil SS 0w-20. Same oil used on next run. I have alternated between M1 and Amsoil filters on this car, depending on what I have on hand.
Car now has about 28k miles. Yes, used the MM on OCI which shows either 10% or 5% left, and did a UOA after each one which showed plenty of oil life remaining.

Thanks for the C & P, excellent photos. I just installed a new M1-110 and M1 0w-20 on our '07 Honda a few hours ago. Nice to confirm those filters are well made.

Last edited:
Looks good.
Removed a 10K M1 oil filter from the '12 Accord a week ago and replaced it with another M1-110A.
Oil installed was SSO 0W-20.
Good to see that these filters really do hold up in use.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Looks good.
Removed a 10K M1 oil filter from the '12 Accord a week ago and replaced it with another M1-110A.

I would be interested in seeing if there are any design changes between the M1-110 and the M1-110A . I have a M1-102 cut open, and a M1-102A that I planned on using: I can see the ADBV config is different, so I expect the internals to be a bit different as well. The telephone number for help on the box is the same, but its easy to change-port phone numbers. So in the end, I have no idea if the M1-102A is made by Champion Labs or somebody else.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Looks similar to the M1-110 I cut open the other day.

It does seem to be a good filter, but full price is just too high for me.

This reminds me I need to cut the media on mine, I set it aside to dry out and have forgotten to cut it.

I get mine for about $9-11 or so mail order. I ran into a guy that sells them in lots of 2 to 12 on eBay (he was some sort of distributor) , and he was only about 8 miles from my house, so I stopped by and picked up a bunch of different sizes and the price was around $7-8 at the time, but I think he moved his business.

These are actually a decent price when on sale at AZ combo deals... $29.99 for Valvoline Advanced full synthetic and this filter is pretty good. Even QS high mileage 5w30 and this filter for $26.99 is the same price has it would be at Walmart..

You did a great job here with your cut and post. I have one of these M1 EP 110s to put on my Nissan Altima VQ.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Looks good.

I would be interested in seeing if there are any design changes between the M1-110 and the M1-110A . I have a M1-102 cut open, and a M1-102A that I planned on using: I can see the ADBV config is different, so I expect the internals to be a bit different as well. The telephone number for help on the box is the same, but its easy to change-port phone numbers. So in the end, I have no idea if the M1-102A is made by Champion Labs or somebody else.

Cut Open Mobil 1 M1-110A - Virgin

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Looks good.

Cut Open Mobil 1 M1-110A - Virgin

So from this CP& the M1-110 and the M1-110A look identical. Obviously we cannot tell about the media itself, but it looks similar. I would guess they just changed the model number.

Last edited:

So from this CP& the M1-110 and the M1-110A look identical. Obviously we cannot tell about the media itself, but it looks similar. I would guess they just changed the model number.

Who knows (besides Champ). I would not be surprised if it was just a marketing/label change.
Similar to when Fram changed the Ultra from a 15,000 mile to a 20,000 mile filter, nothing changed, but Fram found that it could do more than the advertised 15,000 miles (according to Jay, the Fram rep here).

Originally Posted by blupupher

Who knows (besides Champ). I would not be surprised if it was just a marketing/label change.
Similar to when Fram changed the Ultra from a 15,000 mile to a 20,000 mile filter, nothing changed, but Fram found that it could do more than the advertised 15,000 miles (according to Jay, the Fram rep here).

Adding the "A" to the end of the part number means there was probably a design change worth tracking.

A call to Mobil tech line might shed light on the change associated with the new p/n with the "A" suffix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back