Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has bmw longlife 01 again

It’s funny my BMW being an ‘07 has, BMW recommends Castrol on the oil cap.

Back then they recommended top tier gasoline, and Castrol was BP. BP wasn’t top tier so Shell was recommended. Licensing is a funny thing.
Care to explain, bcs. BMW does not do licensing.

That's probably from before the formulation change to SP.
are you guys talking about the one i posted in another thread, mobil 1 0-30 c3 , sp?

because i can't find any mobil 1 0-30 a3/b4, sp online just one its SL

Castrol Edge 0W30 was ALWAYS the darling of Euro enthusiasts and that goes back almost 20yrs.
Still, even today, it has low KV100 but very good HTHS. Stays in grade, and produces very good UOA. It is light but heavy enough. It is very good oil for short trips that do not sacrifice HTHS, so at the same time very good oil for hard driving.
Simply, it does everything well. And it is smooth running. Really smooth running.
what spec determines that is suitable for short trips?

are you guys talking about the one i posted in another thread, mobil 1 0-30 c3 , sp?

None.
By definition there is no suitable or non suitable oil for short trips.
But generally, lighter oils are better. KV40 is lower, it will have less resistance, better suitable for higher load before oil reaches operating temperature. It is that rule: “as thin as possible, as thick as necessary,” that applies well here.

I'm talking about Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, that's now SP.

1682609664243.jpg

Looks like SP retains the solvency required to help clean as well.

Surprised we haven’t seen a VOA yet. The oil-club guys are usually on it. Might have to do it myself soon if not :).

Surprised we haven’t seen a VOA yet. The oil-club guys are usually on it. Might have to do it myself soon if not :).
There is a UOA of 0W-40 API SP somewhere around here. The additive package didn't change much, except for lower Ca and the addition of Mg. However, when you mess with the detergent package, you also mess with the tribo-film. I wouldn't be surprised if Mobil added ANs to compensate for the lower Ca, as Ca is also a friction reducer. Also, if you add AN and reduce the detergent package, you get more out of less ZDDP. That's how Triple Action is formulated.

None.
By definition there is no suitable or non suitable oil for short trips.
But generally, lighter oils are better. KV40 is lower, it will have less resistance, better suitable for higher load before oil reaches operating temperature. It is that rule: “as thin as possible, as thick as necessary,” that applies well here.
ok , speaking of wackos :ROFLMAO:
lighter oils defined by HTHS or grade? i know that there are 0w oils that their viscosity are bigger than 5w and i know w30 oils that have HTHS bigger than w40's.
are 0/5w40 oils included in the lighter oils category or just 0/5w30 oils?

Low-SAPS oils are used in EU+some none EU countries since 2009. That is when low ULSG was introduced in Europe.
There are several factors, mostly economic.
1. Regulation was known since 1996. Industry was ready for ULSG. Hence, oils like VW504.00/507.00 that serve both diesel and gasoline engines. It was much easier to have one requirement for all fleet, especially if there are some or any benefits.
2. While not big factor like in DPF/SCR/GPF case, catalytic converters do benefit from these oils.
i checked my 2011 manual and says suggested LL01 oils and alternative LL04. but when i did my fist OCI on dealership service because of warranty they filled it up with LL04 and advised me to use that approval . its easier for them as mentioned above to give 1 instruction for all fleet.
but since my engine doesn't have a gpf and was designed with LL01 approval in mind then is it better to use that instead of LL04 that was based for economical reasons and reasons that had nothing to do with engine reasons?
i don't know if bmw DI engines of all kind in US, had the same problems that we had in Europe. could one of the reasons be the wrong, i really can't say wrong ,its official could't be wrong, oil approvals that we used from the first miles? with oils that did't protect the engine properly?
usual problems for bmw DI engines in Europe are: injectors failure, engine overheating , nox and lambda sensors , high compression pump e.t.c. almost 90% precent of failure has to do with fuel and oil supply parts.and they are very expensive.

i checked my 2011 manual and says suggested LL01 oils and alternative LL04. but when i did my fist OCI on dealership service because of warranty they filled it up with LL04 and advised me to use that approval . its easier for them as mentioned above to give 1 instruction for all fleet.
but since my engine doesn't have a gpf and was designed with LL01 approval in mind then is it better to use that instead of LL04 that was based for economical reasons and reasons that had nothing to do with engine reasons?
i don't know if bmw DI engines of all kind in US, had the same problems that we had in Europe. could one of the reasons be the wrong, i really can't say wrong ,its official could't be wrong, oil approvals that we used from the first miles? with oils that did't protect the engine properly?
usual problems for bmw DI engines in Europe are: injectors failure, engine overheating , nox and lambda sensors , high compression pump e.t.c. almost 90% precent of failure has to do with fuel and oil supply parts.and they are very expensive.
LL04 is basically lower SAPS version of LL01. Either will do excellent. There is no difference IMO.

ok , speaking of wackos :ROFLMAO:
lighter oils defined by HTHS or grade? i know that there are 0w oils that their viscosity are bigger than 5w and i know w30 oils that have HTHS bigger than w40's.
are 0/5w40 oils included in the lighter oils category or just 0/5w30 oils?
HTHS. Higher HTHS=more resistance.

. In BMW engines I would run whatever you think protects the bearings and valvetrain best, because you can clean intake valves, but you can't undo wear.
i just use this post from chris to repost one that i found in the internet and tell us your opinion.

It doesn't matter what oil you get but the more wear on your engine the less bearing crush you have. The thinner oil you put in the less protection the big end bearing, little end bearings and main bearings get. Bearing crush determines oil pressure and feed to bearing. When breaking an engine in from new wear patterns are created. When these wear patterns are changed bearing failure occurs around 70% of the time. Be careful on what oil you choose as it may create less friction and may give you a power gain but may cause catastrophic engine failure and turbo failure

LL04 is basically lower SAPS version of LL01. Either will do excellent. There is no difference IMO.
i know about saps , but as many said LL01 has more additives(aiming more to protect the engine) and/or different ones from LL04 (aiming more fuel economy and efficiency).

Back