Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W40, 282km oil / 22882km Engine, Honda Civic Type R k20c1

Hello everyone. Before my vehicle went into hibernation at the end of October, I had the oil changed during the service. After that, the vehicle was only in the garage until the beginning of April. I only did a fresh oil ( with only 282 km ) analysis to have a reference. I only Drive a slowly round on the highway with only 2500-3000 Rpm. Can the measurements of iron and aluminum as well as lead have been made by the cold start after 5 months? What do you say about the additive concentration, isn't it a bit high for the X3 0W40?

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay, I understand that. I only ask because I didn't include this last year after my oil change. I just thought about whether due to the long service life of the car, the thicker oil now took a little longer to get everywhere. I also find the TBN under 7 strange.

Okay, I understand that. I only ask because I didn't include this last year after my oil change. I just thought about whether due to the long service life of the car, the thicker oil now took a little longer to get everywhere. I also find the TBN under 7 strange.
You bought a lower emissions oil and that usually will have lower TBN. It doesn't appear that you will run this oil long enough before the TBN gets exhausted.

That's true, but it's a midsaps oil, but the values for zinc and phosphorus are higher than in the previous analysis. With phosphorus, you could almost think it was a fullsaps oil. Aren't these values a little too high for midsaps?

That's true, but the last analysis to the right of my current one shows a much lower phosphorus and zinc value. Do you think it's normal? I have in mind that my current analysis may not be an original oil.

And do you also find the elements for aluminum and iron normal after the service life? Can there also be other causes for this than wear and tear? The PQ index does not show any magnetisable iron. Do you have an idea?

And do you also find the elements for aluminum and iron normal after the service life? Can there also be other causes for this than wear and tear? The PQ index does not show any magnetisable iron. Do you have an idea?
You are demonstrating the common pitfall of attempting to draw unwarranted conclusions based upon a cheap spectrographic analysis.

No, I ask where the elements can come from, as I didn't have them in the oil during the last fresh oil analysis. Can it be from the first start after five months, or can it be corrosion? Where can it come from?

Then i will hope the best. I have think about it if the Engine oil will be too thick. Now i will Test the season this Engine oil, at the end of the season i will take another oil analysis where i can see the number of TBN and the Elements.

Then i will hope the best. I have think about it if the Engine oil will be too thick. Now i will Test the season this Engine oil, at the end of the season i will take another oil analysis where i can see the number of TBN and the Elements.
No oil is too thick unless the winter rating is completely inappropriate for your starting conditions. Oil can have an insufficient MOFT to prevent excessive wear but a 40-grade is not too thick. Too thick for what?

You’re still putting way too much significance on an uncontrolled spectrographic analysis. Such a test isn’t going to show “how the oil did” here.

That's true, but the last analysis to the right of my current one shows a much lower phosphorus and zinc value. Do you think it's normal? I have in mind that my current analysis may not be an original oil.
The Phos. is 900 & zinc 990 on that product. Your analysis shows that is true. I don't know what your previous UOA oil was. Was it this same product?

Back