2018 CR-V, Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, 4502 miles

This run of 4500 miles lasted 315 days at an average of 14.3 miles per day, so mostly short trips. At that rate, we're averaging 5217 miles per 12 months. Winter lows got down below 10F several times and below 0F once this past winter.

This entire run, with the exception of two tanks, was run with 91 octane. I noticed that with 91 octane, the oil level no longer rose on the dipstick. Unfortunately, that did not keep the fuel dilution away, though I do believe it helped. Imagine what the fuel % would be if the oil level was noticeably rising.

I chose M1 ESP 5W30 due to its high viscosity and reputation as a "stout" oil, which I figured I needed with this vehicle. I wanted the ending viscosity to be no lower than a thin 30 grade, so success.

I don't believe I've ever seen a TBN this low, regardless of miles on oil. But 4500 miles just seems too low for this oil to be this "spent". Going forward, I'm considering different approaches: either 6 month oil changes (even though each oil change will only have ~2600 miles), or a short 3-4 month winter OCI, with the other 8-9 months being a longer OCI.

They mention silicon. No work was done on the car in these 10 months, so no gasket sealers, etc to consider. From the VOA, we know this oil only contributes about 5ppm, so I will take a look at the air filter. I have not checked it probably since last oil change, but it only has 10000 miles / 18 months on it.

Their comment on Magnesium can be explained by carryover of the previous oil which had over 700ppm in its formula.

Oxidation, I guess is normal for this oil. I think virgin values are right around 30?

2023-09-09 05_13_45-Window.jpg

This is an interesting report due to the severe service and you chose an appropriate oil for the job. The oil did well. I've seen TBN of 0-1 before. In years past I would not have been happy about the low TBN. However, the crucial thing here is the viscosity is still in grade and there was no oxidation based on ESP's virgin oxidation value (virgin oxidation is 30 for this oil). So, the oil is technically still good. Getting the oxidation value is important.

TBN starts at 6-7 for this oil. The fuel dilution is pretty high and it caused the TBN reserve to drop. Being there was no oxidation you're in good shape.

Can't hurt to switch to a 6 month interval due to the conditions but overall the oil did its job well.

Al appears is a bit high though.

Last edited:
This is an interesting report due to the severe service and you chose an appropriate oil for the job. The oil did well. I've seen TBN of 0-1 before. In years past I would not have been happy about the low TBN. However, the crucial thing here is the viscosity is still in grade and there was no oxidation based on ESP's virgin oxidation value (virgin oxidation is 30 for this oil). So, the oil is technically still good. Getting the oxidation value is important.

TBN starts at 6-7 for this oil. The fuel dilution is pretty high and it caused the TBN reserve to drop. Being there was no oxidation you're in good shape.

Can't hurt to switch to a 6 month interval due to the conditions but overall the oil did its job well.

Al appears is a bit high though.
I agree and would switch to a time based OCI, 6 months as you said is probably a good idea. High fuel dilution is going to take its toll on the most expensive and very best of oils. A UOA is a valuable investment for cars with DI and/or high fuel dilution numbers. Adjust the OCI accordingly, fuel is not a good lubricant, even when it is mixed with the best oil available. Pushing any oil to stretch out every mile it is capable of handling based on a blanket statement or a UOA someone else posted is a problem waiting to happen. JMO

My money is on dirt intrusion in this OCI.

TBN is changing in a lot of oils to the downside. I am not aware of why, but someone out there must know the reason. It looks industry-wide now.

I'm actually kind of partial, now that I'm thinking about it, to an 8 / 4 month OCI. The winter OCI would be from about November 15 to March 15 (the coldest 4 month period in my region). The other OCI would be from March 15 to November 15. I feel that would reduce the amount of time the additional fuel from winter driving will stay in the sump.

TBN is changing in a lot of oils to the downside. I am not aware of why, but someone out there must know the reason. It looks industry-wide now.
I did a VOA of this oil prior to using it and starting TBN was 6.3. I linked to it in the 1st post.

I agree, the aluminum is likely from pistons.

I agree, the aluminum is likely from pistons.
Iron and copper are also elevated. Normal for this engine is:
Al 1.4 ppm per 1000 mi
Fe 2.9 ppm per 1000 mi
Cu 0.4 ppm per 1000 mi

On this UOA, I got:
Al 3.3 ppm per 1000 mi
Fe 6.4 ppm per 1000 mi
Cu 1.8 ppm per 1000 mi

I'm going to look at the air filter. That's definitely on my shortlist. But the extra wear metals can also be from driving over 300 days with close to 5% fuel in the sump, as well as depleted Base Number.

I forgot to mention, and it's too late to edit the first post:

The Oil Life Monitor on this oil change was at 15%

What oil is in there now?
It's a frankenbrew of 1.5qt M1 ESP 5W30 and 2.5qt M1 5W30 Triple Action (using same XG7317 filter that was on for previous OCI). I'm going to run it about 1000 mi then dump it, change the filter, and fill it with my winter OCI. Not sure yet which oil I will use at that time.

Iron and copper are also elevated. Normal for this engine is:
Al 1.4 ppm per 1000 mi
Fe 2.9 ppm per 1000 mi
Cu 0.4 ppm per 1000 mi

On this UOA, I got:
Al 3.3 ppm per 1000 mi
Fe 6.4 ppm per 1000 mi
Cu 1.8 ppm per 1000 mi

I'm going to look at the air filter. That's definitely on my shortlist. But the extra wear metals can also be from driving over 300 days with close to 5% fuel in the sump, as well as depleted Base Number.
I think your correct about the short trips, more frequent starts, & fuel that is causing the spike all the way around. The data you presented backs that up. Have you considered trying a 5w-40 oil for the whole year & get the UOA results?

I would be interesting to see an HPL oil, preferably their Euro 5w30, as a comparison under the same winter and driving conditions. I'd be curious if the wear would be less. TBN would be higher but you'd need a virgin oxidation/used oxidation reading.

Regular M1 would likely dropped into the 20 grade range under that much fuel dilution.

Last edited:
I think your correct about the short trips, more frequent starts, & fuel that is causing the spike all the way around. The data you presented backs that up. Have you considered trying a 5w-40 oil for the whole year & get the UOA results?
I am leery of such an experiment. That would be a whole year before results and if they are not any better (or worse!), I'd have put unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. More frequent OCI let you know sooner if what you're doing is making a positive difference. I like the idea of doing a short 4 month OCI during the coldest time of year when we're driving the least. I believe most of the fuel dilution occurs during those 4 months. Getting it out of the sump in early Spring then gives me a nice 8 month OCI when weather is less conducive to fuel dilution. Plus our driving pattern involves more long trips during these warmer months. Win-win.

I am leery of such an experiment. That would be a whole year before results and if they are not any better (or worse!), I'd have put unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. More frequent OCI let you know sooner if what you're doing is making a positive difference. I like the idea of doing a short 4 month OCI during the coldest time of year when we're driving the least. I believe most of the fuel dilution occurs during those 4 months. Getting it out of the sump in early Spring then gives me a nice 8 month OCI when weather is less conducive to fuel dilution. Plus our driving pattern involves more long trips during these warmer months. Win-win.
Can't argue with that. I was just thinking the 40 would allow the extra buffer for the fuel dilution. But getting the fueled oil out sooner would help & with a 3.7qt sump you've got a very cheap oil change so it's really an easy decision to change it out. Thanks!

Back