mobil 1 5w-50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that 30wt grades of M1 are a little on the thin side so a 40wt grade would be a better choice. eg 0-40 or stick with the Castrol.

I'm using the M1 Supersyn 5W50 SM version for a trial run in my 89 Mazda 626 turbo (GT in the U.S). Very pleased so far. I'll probably run M1 15W50 in the summer purchased from the local Mobil distributor. By the way I worked in Puerto Princessa Palawan in 1980.

Bruce, never had a sludge problem with the 5W-50 M1 in the 351C running 10,000km OCI's, running on LPG (Propane/Butane), 11.5:1 CR and two heat range's colder than stock plugs.

I am using the Castrol GC 0w-30 in my 2003 BMW 300Ci. It is rated as BMW-LL01. The BMW 5w-30 is also a good oil.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 is also BMW-LL01 rated and would be a good choice for your Mini!

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Mobil 1 5w-50 is a "worldwide" product but it is not sold in the US - why? I don't know!!
Doug

Castrol did have 5w-50, but it has recently been closed out at discount prices here. 5w-50 just isn't a very marketable product in the USA. Retailers will eliminate a product from their shelves quickly if it doesn't move. Wal-Mart philosophy.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
welcome.gif

Mobil does not market the 5w-50 grade in the US, so I don't think there's much experience with this product here at BITOG. We do have a fair number of non-US members, but in the 1.5 or so years I've been here, I think I recall this stuff being mentioned only once or twice. FWIW, even in a trusted line like M1, I'd be concerned about how much VI improver was in such a wide spread oil.

Beyond this, as you note, both your vehicles spec 30 wt oils. Even though you live in a hot climate, there's just no need to go that thick. You'd be losing performance and mileage for a questionable-at-best gain. Experiment with a few in-grade choices and see what seems to work for you.
cheers.gif

I can get it around here. La Habra, CA

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

I'd be more concerned about deposits with a Group 3 5W-50 such as Castrol.

Sometimes I swear an ***** bomb went off on this Forum.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005119#000018

Sometimes I swear certain members in this forum are just itching to start some sort of argument.
rolleyes.gif
I'll repeat what I said - I'd rather use a Group 4 5W-50 over extended drains than a Group 3 5W-50. I don't care about Mori's engine or his results.

So leave your precious "someone insulted Castrol" line to someone who gives a rats.

Boom ? More like plonk (in your case) as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I read Mori's thread when he first posted it. And I'll repeat - big deal. Are you positive that the same result will be obtained from the same oil, in another climate, in a different engine, with the same drain intervals ? Don't kid yourself if you think "yes".

How do I know it's Group 3 ? Uh...probably because it's been posted here by numerous posters for quite a while now. Prove to me that it isn't (bet you can't). Or better yet, call Molakule or Terry (someone qualified and who should know) and ask them to analyse it for you. As for specifically naming Castrol's 5W-50....name another manufacturer who makes a 5W-50. I can only think of one, Penzoil, and judging by the price they charge for it, it ain't Group 4.

Many people seem to get good results using 5W-20s, and others write papers on the benfits or such lighter oils. But I refuse to use them, simply because it doesn't suit my climate or engine. Just because some people get good UOAs or post glowing threads about them, I won't use them - and that's my opinion. Likewise, it's my opinion not to use mineral or Group 3s for long 10,000 + mile oil changes.

quote:

quote:

I'll repeat what I said - I'd rather use a Group 4 5W-50 over extended drains than a Group 3 5W-50

Umm, that's NOT what you said.
rolleyes.gif

What makes you so sure Castrol 5w-50 is Gruppe III anyway?
dunno.gif

As for your concern about deposits, is that before of after you read Mori's link? If it's before, why didn't you serach/read up before you posted? If it's after, how is it that you are still "concerned about deposits" and "don't care about Mori's (impressive) results"?

Boom.

quote:

How do I know it's Group 3 ? Uh...probably because it's been posted here by numerous posters for quite a while now. Prove to me that it isn't (bet you can't).

You are the one who said it's Gruppe III, YOU prove it or even just provide some links from "qualified" experts.

quote:

Show us some examples of ANY Gruppe III leaving the deposits that you are so "concerned" with.

quote:

Are you positive that the same result will be obtained from the same oil, in another climate, in a different engine, with the same drain intervals?

lol, how are you POSITIVE it won't, and why?

Otherwise, if you can't back-up your statements, your claims are just unsubstantiated ramblebabble. imo, product bashing, ingredient speculating and fear mongering have no place in a Forum where professionals and serious enthusiasts come for factual discussion.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
You are the one who said it's Gruppe III, YOU prove it or even just provide some links from "qualified" experts.

And your so sure that it isn't. I already know from another member on this forum that Castrol 10W-60 isn't synthetic, even though people have assumed it to be so, and it is labeled as synthetic in Europe.

quote:

Show us some examples of ANY Gruppe III leaving the deposits that you are so "concerned" with.

You seemed so convinced that it's not possible. Deposits can form using full synthetics, but it is less likely. That was my point, but I see you're not intelligent enough to realise it.

quote:

Are you positive that the same result will be obtained from the same oil, in another climate, in a different engine, with the same drain intervals?

quote:

lol, how are you POSITIVE it won't, and why?

I'm not going to get into a "yes it is, no it isn't" argument with you. You cannot be certain that Mori's results can be duplicated anywhere else. FACT.

quote:

Otherwise, if you can't back-up your statements, your claims are just unsubstantiated ramblebabble. imo, product bashing, ingredient speculating and fear mongering have no place in a Forum where professionals and serious enthusiasts come for factual discussion.
nono.gif

Oh please, spare me.
rolleyes.gif
Your post is nothing more than dribble from someone who was upset about so-called product bashing. Professionals talking factual discussions ? They're probably the ones moaning about 0.0001 increase in lead in one single UOA sample.

Ingredient speculation ? I didn't know it existed in this forum. The formula of GC was speculated on, then a test was performed to confirm it. Likewise, Mobil employees have provided info that M1 is a PAO/AN mix. If one manufacturer labels their oil as "synthetic", and it's still much cheaper than M1, Redline, Amsoil, etc., what do you think the base oil is ? Oh wait, I know what your reply will be...."prove it"
rolleyes.gif

So get of your high horse, drop the chip on your shoulder, and try to hold a civil disagreement with another person's posts.
nono.gif
(instead of the arrogant provocative posts you always make).

Hi,
and meanwhile back to the innocent original poster.............ed!

ed - Losiho's original post says it all;

"Currently have M1 5W-50 in my sister's car. Great oil, but probably too thick for a new Cooper S, even in the Philippines.

As others have said, try M1 0W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40."

ed; enjoy BITOG just as you will your car!

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
and meanwhile back to the innocent original poster.............ed!

ed - Losiho's original post says it all;

"Currently have M1 5W-50 in my sister's car. Great oil, but probably too thick for a new Cooper S, even in the Philippines.

As others have said, try M1 0W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40."

ed; enjoy BITOG just as you will your car!

Doug

tnx for all the replies.. i just bought mobil 1 0w-40!!! would that be alright? it has the same specs as bmw said.. "bmw longlife 01"

Can't find anything to back your statements up?
Just bash the person and the products without a clue...a real asset to the Forum.
rolleyes.gif

BTW, you wern't speculating, you claimed you knew Castrol 5w-50 was Gruppe III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back