Mobil 1 0w-30 in 4.0 Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ranger 4.0 SOHC 4x4. It calls for 5w-30 but for winter I ran 0w-30 since I make a lot of short trips. This 5k OCI also included 3 off-road runs with two Ranger clubs I belong to, 2 of which were in brutally cold January weather. Then things warmed up, I did one spring run plus my dad used it to haul many loads of topsoil for his yard project.
35k on vehicle, M1 every 5k since 5k, 5k on this oil, no make-up oil, K&N oil and air filters both.
Alum 7
Chromium 2
Iron 33
Copper 4
Lead 1
Tin 1
Molybdenum 69
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 129
Silicon 8 (universal avg is 10, not too shabby for a K&N air filter)
Sodium 7
Calcium 2885
Magnesium 15
Phosphorus 810
Zinc 966
Barium 0
Sus Viscosity @ 210 was 61.3, should be 55-60
Flashpoint was 400, should be >360
Fuel was Antifreeze was 0, should be 0
Water was 0, should be 0
Insolubles were 0.4, should be
Blackstone: Usually we can see when an oil has been severely beat up (I warned them) but in your case your used oil was physically normal and showed no signs of heat or moisture damaging the additives. The oil's viscosity was just slightly high, slipping into the lower 10w-30 range. Comparing the wear metals in your sample to the universal averages, you can see the aluminum and iron are high, possibly due to piston scuffing. Bearings look perfect. Chrome (rings) was 1ppm high too. We didn't find any harmful contaminants in the oil, so wear will probably return to normal in the next sample.

My take: I should stick to 5w-30.

K&N and such low silicon?? My M1 10W-30 doesn't get quite this visc. @ 5K
dunno.gif

It really thickened up. I don't have any answers. I'm just hoping to learn something.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
The oil's viscosity was just slightly high, slipping into the lower 10w-30 range.

lol.gif

Everytime I see the "interpreters" at Blackstone make a statment like this I know for sure that Terry Dyson will be the one interpreting my UOAs from now on.

cool.gif
I have Mobil 1 5w-30 in it now with a Mobil 1 filter, we'll see what shakes out next time. Took out the K&N air filter at the same time and put a paper filter in. Also on this last change I put in a Superplug. Could help the oil but would that skew the results? At least give me credit for running the good stuff and getting UOA's on a vehicle that I lease.
grin.gif

[ May 13, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

I would not write the oil off because of this UOA. I would want to see at least two. I did not think it was that bad when you combine the short trips, winter weather,and hauling. I do not even pretend to be a hack at UOA. I would run it one more time and see how it does if you really like the idea of a 0W30. It will take couple of UOA to build a trend anyway. What does your 5W30 UOA look like?

Personely I would not run the standard M1 OW30. I have decided to try the M1R 0W30 as it has more AW/AF additives. I do not want to be labled as a thick oil person! You would be fine with your 5W30 as well. THe 4.0 V6 is pretty easy on oil!

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
The oil's viscosity was just slightly high, slipping into the lower 10w-30 range.

lol.gif

Everytime I see the "interpreters" at Blackstone make a statment like this I know for sure that Terry Dyson will be the one interpreting my UOAs from now on.

Yo be right bro
grin.gif
. It's worth it to have Terry sort out the numbers for you and explain what they REALLY mean. My wife's 2002 Exploder has the same engine and her
winter run of 4100 miles using Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend produced some very similar #'s as your's except for the iron. Maybe you did take more short trips in the cold thus raising you iron level. Some of Her wear #'s were:
Aluminum- 7
Chromium-1
Iron-18
Copper-4
Lead-0
Tin-4
Nickel-0
Silicon-20, with a 5,000 mile old OEM filter
frown.gif
!
This was at 34,565 miles. OCI's approximately every 5,000 miles, except this one, due to having other work done on it and for convenience we changed the oil at the same time. I think the wear pattern showing in the UOA's for these engines seems to be the "nature of the beast". My two UOA's have been similar and I'm going to do another UOA with the next oil change to see if the pattern stays the same. I might note that my OCI at 25,000 miles was using Motorcraft 5W-30 and ironically for 4,900 miles the wear #'s were very similar. But that was not during the winter months.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
What does your 5W30 UOA look like?

cool.gif
I don't have one. The last time I drained 5w-30 out, you people had not yet thoroughly corrupted me. Come, join the dark side, resistance is futile.
welcome.gif

Thanks for the input and the tip on M1R, JB. Now I have M1 5w-30 w/ M1 filter plus I put in a Superplug.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
K&N and such low silicon?? My M1 10W-30 doesn't get quite this visc. @ 5K
dunno.gif

It really thickened up. I don't have any answers. I'm just hoping to learn something.

Just an observation here but the Mobil 0w-30 starts out thicker at 10.3 vs 10.0 for the 5 & 10w-30 Mobil oil .

This used oil was right at 10.6

Has anyone ever entertained the idea that with a KN and low Si the engine still might be running a little leaner leading to higher Fe and oil temps overall ?

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Just an observation here but the Mobil 0w-30 starts out thicker at 10.3 vs 10.0 for the 5 & 10w-30 Mobil oil. This used oil was right at 10.6.

cool.gif
Really?

quote:

Has anyone ever entertained the idea that with a KN and low Si the engine still might be running a little leaner leading to higher Fe and oil temps overall ?

cool.gif
My take is that there might be less dirt in the air in the winter. You have an interesting theory also.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
Please, what is a superplug? Thank you.

cool.gif
An extremely magnetic oil drain plug. Remember the cartoon with Wile E. Coyote and the electromagnet pulling tools, cars, buses, and a rocket into his cave? Sort of like that.
grin.gif
About $25.00, delivery is ahh, slow, but the one I have in my decrepit old van sure pulls out a lot of stuff.
www.superplug.com

[ May 14, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

quote:

My take is that there might be less dirt in the air in the winter.

I think it's the opposite, there is more dirt in the air in winter, since most areas dump down a ton of road salt and sand, so there is a lot of dust floating in the air. My house faces a busy 6 lane road and the entire front of my house is covered in dirt and salt by the end of winter. It's a very dusty situation. In the summer, it's not like this at all.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

I do not want to be labled as a thick oil person! You would be fine with your 5W30 as well. THe 4.0 V6 is pretty easy on oil!

John, I think the German made 4.0L SOHC Ford engine is actually harder on oil than the rest of the "american" Ford engines. My wife has a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0L and it seems to beat up the oil more than the 4.6L/5.4L Ford V-8 engines in UOA's I've seen. Though ironically the Ford German 4.0L requires 5W-30 oil and it beats it down to a 20 weight oil in no time. Whereas the Ford modular V-8's keep a 20 weight oil a 20 weight oil. Of course other engines seem to beat down dino 5W-30 oils to 20 weight oils in a short time also. But I wonder why this Ford engine requires 5W-30 and other Ford engines require 5W-20 when both of these oils end up at 20 weight anyway.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back