MIXING AMSOIL & ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am new to this so if this question has been asked before I could not find anything on this subject. Can someone please tell me if it is ok to mix Amsoil with any good dino to make a blend. Thanks for any feedback

Its not a good idea, foolish IMO. From the Ams web site

Quote:

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are fully compatible with all petroleum motor oils, and there is no danger in mixing the two. Mixing AMSOIL and petroleum oil, however, is not a recommended as a general practice. Performance and long drain intervals will be sacrificed and the oil should be promptly changed, at maximum, within the next 3,000 miles.

I have mixed Amsoil and Pennzoil in my 1985 245T with no problems. Other have similar experiences (with other oils) and have seen no ill effects. Mike does provide sage advice, and the most important thing (maybe) is you relinquish any oil warranty rights.

I would go no longer than 5K miles without a UOA.

Amsoil makes an excellent synthetic blend, their 15w-40/PCO product. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to their 100% synthetics. I think you'll find you can safely run OCI's of 10k-15k with this oil in gas engines, depending on operating conditions. It's actually very similar to their AME formulation....

TS

You bought some expensive Amsoil oil so that you could mix it with some cheap dino?

Oi Vey!
pat2.gif

The reason this is done is because with syn alone any brand the engine makes a rattling noise at start up. I have an 04 5,4 i use 1qt syn 5w30 and 5 qts 5w20 havoline seems to make much less noise at start up. I live in Fl and tow alot from what i read havoline is a great oil but would like just a bit more. Thanks for your comments

Quote:

The reason this is done is because with syn alone any brand the engine makes a rattling noise at start up. I have an 04 5,4 i use 1qt syn 5w30 and 5 qts 5w20 havoline seems to make much less noise at start up. I live in Fl and tow alot from what i read havoline is a great oil but would like just a bit more. Thanks for your comments

Bit more what? Without comprehensive testing of such a mixture the best you could hope to achieve is a bit better cold weather performance, but being in Florida that point is moot. If there's any one engine that is well suited to SM/GF-4 5w20, it's the Ford Modular. People tow with here in hot weather without any problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back