Mitsubishi Outlander CVT - How Durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more afraid of no Mitsu dealer around to service it more than the CVT. The dealer in our town just shut down and went away.

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
Nissan's ownership stake will provide a place for service should Mitsu pull out. I'm not worried about it.

I know back when my family owned several early 2000 m/y Isuzu rodeos and troopers, after Isuzu USA when kaput around 2005, the mega chain Mazda, BMW, Merc, Lincoln dealer chain that originally sold them, remained the authorized service center for years afterward.

I've ridden in a Mitusbishi product exactly ONCE in my life...an uber ride to Phoenix Mesa Airport from a hotel. Seemed like a nice, innocuous little CUV. I might have been a little hungover and I wish the driver would have turned down the heat a smidge...

At any rate, I can't even tell you where a local dealer might be and couldn't imagine buying a Mitsu vehicle...not sure if the Nissan connection is a good thing or not. I owned several 80s and 90s era Nissans and they were bulletproof. I don't sense that they are like that anymore.

I'm learning to at least tolerate CVTs but a nice 5 or 6 speed automatic is still my preference. The workings of ANY transmission that is not manually shifted is voodoo to me...can't wrap my head around it.

“I'm learning to at least tolerate CVTs but a nice 5 or 6 speed automatic is still my preference. The workings of ANY transmission that is not manually shifted is voodoo to me...can't wrap my head around it.”

I’m with ya. I like the predictability of a automatic that will downshift at a certain throttle position unlike the cvt that lugs the engine until you mash the throttle to the floor and the engine responds with 5000 rpm just to merge onto a freeway. Even worse are amber light go/no go situations where the hesitation of the cvt might get your photo taken and a ticket in the mail.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
Nissan's ownership stake will provide a place for service should Mitsu pull out. I'm not worried about it.

I know back when my family owned several early 2000 m/y Isuzu rodeos and troopers, after Isuzu USA when kaput around 2005, the mega chain Mazda, BMW, Merc, Lincoln dealer chain that originally sold them, remained the authorized service center for years afterward.

I basically got into this vehicle because it was 199 month lease and 0 down and has four wheel drive (which works extremely well). I have 2.5 years to decide if I want to keep it or give it back. I should know a lot more by then if Mitsu is going to hang around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back