Millitec

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with chlor products is HCl acid formation which will kill TBN and cause rust in damp enviroments works good as a cutting oil tho although it is way to pricey since industrial chlor cutting oils are 7-8$ per gallon.
bruce

I haven't seen any UOAs where the TBN was killed by an chlorinated oil. Maybe its not the best idea for long OCIs, but I don't see the problem with the 3m/3k crowd.

I agree short 3k drains will still have some goodie left long hot hauls out to 7k would be more problematic.
bruce

I used it my last oil change in my BMW 316M. I didn't notice any change in the engine. Just stick with a quality oil and Lube Control.

Regarding chlorine buildup in engines/gearboxes over time: This I HAVE seen, big time! As per our discussion, chlorine in a water rich environment (engines, transmissions) will create horrendous sludges, corrosion.. Have had the unfortunate experience of tear downs following extended use of these chlorine additives and the innards had some of the worst sludge I had seen since original Quker State of years ago... Rewards do NOT offset downside... In an engine oil application, stay with just good old (insert brand) and no additives.. Period..
George Morrison, STLE CLS
Columbus, Ohio

If using a 3m/3k OCI with todays GF4/SM oils, why would there be any sludge buildup or particles?

Moisture will cause sludge in any engine. Just take a look at all those GM motors with failed intake gaskets.

I still haven't seen bad UOA's or pictures of sludge that were produced(and proven) by these chlorinated oils.

Could you guys name a few other chlorinated products? I thought this additive had fell out of fashion years ago?

Regarding other additives containing chlorinated materials, believe you should include Prolong, Motor Up, XenTx, and LubeGard. There more than likely are many more that come and go. However, what I find hard to believe is that many use these additives and believe that some good is being derived. Whether they contain chlorinated paraffins, chlorinated hydrocarbons, chlorinated olefins, chlorinated naphthalenes, etc., they all contain the one element [Chlorine] that can create problems down the road.

Well said. Altought maybe not known but up to recently the big EMD diesel locomotives with silver bearings used oil that had as I remember
.5-1% chlor parrifin as a AW/EP additive, these oils contain NO ZDDP its eats the bearing materials. An they run a long time BUT locomotive oils are tested routinely for soot thickening out of grade and also TAN and TBN depletion so there are no problems with the chloro. Most of the goof ball additives have 50% or so chlor and give treats rates about 5-7% in a PCMO with TBN or 9 or so where EMD diesels are TBN 12-15 I think.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by mojo:
Regarding other additives containing chlorinated materials, believe you should include Prolong, Motor Up, XenTx, and LubeGard. There more than likely are many more that come and go. However, what I find hard to believe is that many use these additives and believe that some good is being derived. Whether they contain chlorinated paraffins, chlorinated hydrocarbons, chlorinated olefins, chlorinated naphthalenes, etc., they all contain the one element [Chlorine] that can create problems down the road.

I don't know that LubeGard contains chlorinated additives.

This MSDS on Lubegard [red] ATF Protectant* says no chlorine.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds2/000003f6.pdf

Other lubegard products also say say no chlorinated products.
Dr. Tranny™ kooler kleen

Prevents contamination of new or rebuilt transmission, removes grease, dirt, sludge, metal shavings. No water or soapy residue left to contaminate new fluid. No CFC'S, contains no chlorinated solvents. 12-13.25 oz. containers per case.

LUBEGARD® Bio/Tech Engine Protectant with LXE:

Eliminates harmful cold starts
Reduces wear on metal parts
Reduces engine temperature
Increases thermal and oxidative stability of the oil which eliminates corrosion, varnish and sludge formation
Increases overall performance
Increases mileage
Increases oil life
Increases power
Does not contain any potentially harmful "chemical enhancers and/or metal treatments" such as chlorinated hydrocarbons which turn into acids & attack metal parts, or any solid lubricants such as Teflon, graphite or molybdenum disulfide which clog filtration systems
LUBEGARD Lube’N Loosen All Purpose Lubricant does not contain, as an ingredient, chlorine, phenols, nitrites, heavy metals, arsenic, PCB, PCT, TCDD or other Dioxin related substances.

[*this is what I use]

quote:

mojo:

Regarding other additives containing chlorinated materials, believe you should include Prolong, Motor Up, XenTx, and LubeGard. ....

You can scratch LubeGard off that list.

The basic ingredients are esterized vegetable oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

mojo:

Regarding other additives containing chlorinated materials, believe you should include Prolong, Motor Up, XenTx, and LubeGard. ....

You can scratch LubeGard off that list.

The basic ingredients are esterized vegetable oils.

I read that the LXE [ liquid wax ester ] that Lubegard uses is made from Rapeseed [ erucic acid ] after that was found to be a less expensive source that jojoba bean. The goal was to find a replacement for the natural ester found in sperm whale oil.

I should also add that I spoke for an hour with the tech support guy from Lubegard, and he really knew his stuff. I already liked Lubegard based on my experience using the product and my belief that the ester Lubegard used made sense.

After I spoke with tech support I felt even more confident that Lubegard was a great company that made a technically sound product and had a very honest and factually based approach to additves.

Actually, LubeGuard uses a number of vegetable oil esters in their formulations with the appropriate antioxidants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back