Prolube oil additive

Is anyone familiar with prolube oil additive? Its become popular on my tiktok page and they offer similar claims to Motorkote without the chlorinated component.

I tried to look and see if anyone had discussed this before because I didn't want to beat a dead horse if it had. Attached are the pages of the MSDS. I'm sorry its on separate pages.

I'm just curious if anyone has used it or know if it works?

Attachments

• MSDS_MetalGuard1024_1.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 771
  • MSDS_MetalGuard1024_2.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 767
  • MSDS_MetalGuard1024_3.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 619
  • MSDS_MetalGuard1024_4.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_4.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 563
  • MSDS_MetalGuard1024_5.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 532
  • MSDS_MetalGuard1024_6.jpg
    MSDS_MetalGuard1024_6.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 753
I been seeing their videos, it is kind of hard to deny what their friction/bearing tests show compared to other products on the market when they do not cut the scene.

One video the guy actually used motor oil from his dipstick on his Chevy of which was treated prior with Prolube and it still performed just like the other tests which was pretty interesting.

I would love to see some long term tests of it though since he pulled it from the dipstick lets see him do that same test but with 5k on the oil/prolube.

I also like how they are open and try any product customers want/send in and if it performs good they don't try to cover it up.

Hmmm. Why do I smell Timken?
Yeah. That's their method. Same as motorkote. But its hard to deny that it does something in that specific test. I know it isn't a standard test and not indicative of what happens in an engine but its still interesting. Same as motorkote does. I'm just curious as to what damage or if its even useful when diluted in motor oil.

DiOxyNiTrateBUtYlTetreHydrISulfates, the active ingredient -abbreviated, DONT BUY THIS- is unproven. So buy something else.
What exactly is it? Is it something that we would recognize in some other product repurposed for this?

Yeah. That's their method. Same as motorkote. But its hard to deny that it does something in that specific test. I know it isn't a standard test and not indicative of what happens in an engine but its still interesting. Same as motorkote does. I'm just curious as to what damage or if its even useful when diluted in motor oil.
It can be a standardized test but no one ever follows the ASTM procedure and no one ever properly analyzes the data. Not to mention it isn't applicable to motor oil.

It isn't actually hard to deny that it "does something" in that specific test, if you have even the slightest understanding of the what the test means and how the data is intended to be parsed you immediately see that it is worthless.

Any entity that promotes such a test or uses "results" from the test for a motor oil additive should be disregarded without a second thought. A reputable provider would not use such a test for a motor oil additive.

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with prolube oil additive? Its become popular on my tiktok page and they offer similar claims to Motorkote without the chlorinated component.

I tried to look and see if anyone had discussed this before because I didn't want to beat a dead horse if it had. Attached are the pages of the MSDS. I'm sorry its on separate pages.

I'm just curious if anyone has used it or know if it works?
What is the supposed application? TDS?

What is the supposed application? TDS?
Their claims from the Oil Treatment product page (https://prolubeoil.com/products/prolube-oil-treatment):

--------------------------------
"Prolube Oil Treatment is made with a highly-concentrated blend of lubricating oils that can be safely used in all types of gasoline & 2-stroke, 4-stroke, and 8-stroke diesel engines. Use to extend engine life, protect from excessive wear, reduce oil consumption, prevent oil breakdown, lower oil temperatures, raise oil pressure and increase fuel economy. Prolube Oil will easily double your oil life and even triple it *depending on your vehicle. Blends with all types of conventional and synthetic motor oils."

Formulation: "Prolube Oil Treatment is comprised of highly-concentrated synthetic ingredients that penetrates and conditions the metal components. Our unique formulation is what makes this product the world’s most extreme oil treatment additive on the market. Formulated by Prolube, Inc. in Ohio, USA."

Prolube Oil Treatment Additive can be used in: Racing,, Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Off-Road Vehicles, Dirt Bikes, Marine, Tractors, Semis, Machinery.

Directions: Simply add product to engine. Use 1 oz Oil Treatment / 1 quart motor oil. Use with each oil change. Engines with excessive wear add additional 1oz of Oil Treatment / 1 quart motor oil.

Treatment Ratio:
Engine (1 oz / 1 quart motor oil)
Differentials (2 oz)
Gearbox (1-2 oz)
Power Steering Pump (1-2 oz)
Transmission: 13 quart (car): 2 oz of Prolube
Transmission: 20 quart (heavy duty truck): 4 oz of Prolube
--------------------------------

They claim the business has been around since 1988, the product since approximately 1990. Far as I can tell, the older gentleman is the developer of the product. I get the impression that his son ran their advertising/social media prior to this year, and it was relatively limited. Hard data is limited there--I did find a 2017 FB post with purported testimonials from various companies that had used their products throughout the years:

It appears that the developer's grandson--of a generation generally more savvy with social media--overhauled their social media presence, marketing, and packaging earlier this year, thus they have begun appearing on people's radar on the internet....

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that claims to "penetrate metal" can, as @kschachn noted, be disregarded without a 2nd thought. Total snake oil.
i think the simplest and most effective way to help the OP is to tell him this: if you “think” your oil isn’t good enough and you need to use an additive, your engine will be better served by saving your money on additives, identifying a superior oil based on specifications and certifications that meet and exceed your engine’s needs, and buy/use that fully-formulated oil.

Sounds like you’re looking for friction reduction, look for an oil that has additional moly and boron. For example, if you used Amsoil, Redline, or HPL a 6-qt oil change will likely come out around $60-70 and are proven to work well. If you took your oil and the ProLube, you’re probably in the $50-55 range. You also have to count for the thinning effect of most of these additives; LubeGard BioTech for example starts at the very low end of Xw20, so you need to be careful you don’t send your oil out of grade.

Is $20 for a questionable additive really worth chancing an engine? Best case scenario, the additive performs as advertised; worst case is engine failure. Most likely case (and I speak from experience with all kinds of additives before I got smart and followed my advice above) : the additive will do nothing… it may show up in a UOA but that does NOT confirm that it reduced wear or any of the other benefits they claim. Any mileage gains will be statistically insignificant… so: is it worth it? IMO no.

There’s plenty of GREAT oils that have everything your engine needs for a long, happy life. But buy good air & oil filters… those always help too!

Formulation: "Prolube Oil Treatment is comprised of highly-concentrated synthetic ingredients that penetrates and conditions the metal components. Our unique formulation is what makes this product the world’s most extreme oil treatment additive on the market. Formulated by Prolube, Inc. in Ohio, USA."
That statement there is false because a number of members here proved that another product in the past making the same claim did no such thing.

Since that statement is so blatantly false I see no reason to accept any other claims made.

And pray tell what is in Prolube that is NOT in a fully formulated motor oil?

A couple low-count posters promoting a oil additive.

Make one's ears prick up and say, "Fascinating".

My Ford factory owner's manual cautions against using motor oil additives:

WARNING: not use oil additives or other engine treatments.
They are unnecessary and could, under certain conditions,
lead to engine damage which is not covered by Ford Warranty.

A couple low-count posters promoting a oil additive.

Make one's ears prick up and say, "Fascinating".

My Ford factory owner's manual cautions against using motor oil additives:

WARNING: not use oil additives or other engine treatments.
They are unnecessary and could, under certain conditions,
lead to engine damage which is not covered by Ford Warranty.
I presume I'm included in that statement, to clarify: I am not promoting this product. My intent was to flesh out OP's question with the company's assertions, because I was interested to see the response from more experienced BITOG participants. Considering the history of additives it was all but guaranteed to be negative, but I was curious about the particulars for this one. Thanks

Back