Miles, miles and more miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jj51702

You added a Ferrari logo to a corolla.....I've seen it all on these boards now

May I present the Rolls Royce Saturn:

saturn-royce.jpg

There is a guy around my neighborhood that remolded the front of his Chevrolet Venture van with the Mercedes logo and it actually looks 1/2 decent. Not fooling anyone but the design works. Looks like he took the hood off one of their SUV's.

I have only come across it a few times. If I see it again I will try to snap a picture.

Last edited:

It goes well with the mismatched door handles
lol.gif

My last vehicle had 280K miles on it before I sold it. Nothing major was ever done to it. Whatever needed to be fixed could be done in your parking space.

Just needed a lift to figure out a Freon leak for the a/c. Turned out to be the accumulator. It was 400 bucks which was the most I ever spent on one single repair the entire time I had it which was from 2005 till 2016.

Used only 5W20 Motorcraft and Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter.

It was a 2005 4.6 Ford Crown Victoria. It was rental car for 20K miles before I bought it.

There will NEVER BE another low maintenance vehicle like that ever again.

A ‘95 Dodge Dakota w/220K miles. Bought new. Original engine, manual trans, clutch, and rear end. Body surguries for rust 13 years ago; still solid today using Krown rustproofing (Canadian). Only engine work has been replacement of leaking valve cover gaskets. Other replacements: radiator, most A/C parts, 2 upper ball joints, an inner tie rod, and a new interior headliner.

An ‘02 Toyota Camry (2.4 liter) w/265K miles. Bought from MIL @ 114K miles on the promise that she wouldn’t get mad if we got it to 200K. Original engine and trans, with only internal work being a replaced valve cover gasket set. Burns 1qt./1000-1200 miles. Recent leak down test showed 95% of OE-spec compression. Replaced radiator, struts, motor mounts, one ball joint, one wheel bearing, front control arm bushings, along with normal wear parts. Also Krown rust-proofed and essentially no corrosion of chassis or body panels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Samrsnow
My first car was this grey 1988 BMW 528e. Was told it had over 200k on it before the odometer went out the first time, the second time at about 87k all prior to buying it. I never fixed the odometer gears and drove it for a little over 5 years. I had to have pushed it to 400k or above running only Castrol GTX 20w50 and orange can fram filters

Current daily for me is this 1987 535is I've run GTX, Mobil, Pennzoil, Rotella, and DELO (current). Ran it with a broken odometer for about 2 years, fixed it at least 10 months ago and now have it at about 248,890. Nearly 11,000 in that timespan
shocked.gif
I literally just calculated that...that can't be right. I swear the ODO isn't that fast! Big repairs were timing chain, switching to coilovers, and AC compressor with R134 conversion

mye28.com will keep that 535i going forever

Indeed! It’d help if most of them weren’t grumpy old men and condescending though.

1978 to 1984 (199K miles to 200K miles): 1968 Chev Impala 307 w/ Powerglide (replaced by a 327 TH @ 176K miles). Given to a friend in '84, who drove it for several more years. Over the time I had it, oil consumption gradually increased from an imperial quart in about 250 miles to a litre in about 70 miles - thus the engine swap in '82.

1996 to 2001 (228K km - 326K km): 1990 Mazda MPV 2.6 litre w/ 5-speed manual. Written off in a collision, but was still running well. I did a head gasket @ 256K km.

2001 to present (94K km - 333K km): 1997 Mazda MPV 3.0 litre w/ 4-speed AT. No major repairs. Passed on to Junior in 2016. The tinworm is doing its thing, which I think is what will take it off the road in the next year or so.

Originally Posted By: miden851
My 02Corolla back in the day; i bought it new and sold it with 220k miles back in 2010; up to last year it drove, I hope it still does

Oh that car has been put through thick and thin; I got the sticker from a guy that drove a Fiat; he gave to me so I did not throw it away and pass it along to the next owner; anyway, majority of the people do not know the difference between the two nonetheless...

Also we have another car in the family over 200k; it is a ‘00 Camry 2.2L now with 285k miles

Last edited:
Another one I got significant mileage out of was an '02 Cavalier I had before the Tribute I mentioned earlier.

Got it with 55k miles on it in 2005; and drove it to 162k miles in about 5 and 1/2 years.

It did need work to get to that mileage; but on a day-day basis, it was amazingly reliable. 3 people learned to drive on it, it moved a couple of people, and it saw some horrible neglect from an over-busy owner (me, lol!)

Had horrible piston slap from the 2.2 OHV engine from day 1, and saw nothing but conventional 5W-30 at long intervals as mentioned. Hardly burned any oil, ran like a top in any weather.

It was a great car, getting rid of it for the Tribute was a huge mistake.

84 Nissan pickup. 238k before it lost an argument with a cow. Carbureted, not fuel injected, too. Only mechanical repair was a
Replaced alternator. 6k oil changes with Mobil One. Would lose exactly one quart between oil changes which had to do with the manual adjusting valves I think, not burning oil.

It was like two cars, and the money I saved was the down payment on my first house.

Unfortunately, the oil changes were the beginning and end of my "meticulous" maintenance. Cosmetically at the end, it looked like the Halloween pumpkin we left out until Easter that one time.

I learned that these days, if you are shooting for longevity you had better take care of appearances.

Just bought a 1997 Honda CRV with 215,000 miles...and get this, the ORIGINAL timing belt. It is in the garage half way torn apart, the timing belt is arriving from Rock Auto today.

It is in amazing shape having lived all its life in the rust belt. I just need to figure out how to get off the crank bolt at this point.

2002 S10 Crew Cab, 228K

Outside of normal maintenance items were intake gaskets, fuel pumps(it's eats them, on my 4th)and the ever aggravating remote oil lines!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Just bought a 1997 Honda CRV with 215,000 miles...and get this, the ORIGINAL timing belt. It is in the garage half way torn apart, the timing belt is arriving from Rock Auto today.

It is in amazing shape having lived all its life in the rust belt. I just need to figure out how to get off the crank bolt at this point.

Ended up being forced into buying a better 1/2" impact (oh darn). That and a little heat got the crank bolt off. She is back together with new belt and purring like a kitty.

Here's my 2003 Golf TDI, photo taken yesterday.

And here's a photo of the odometer from November 5th of 2016. I had to roll back the odometer because the instrument cluster could not convert more than 999,999 kilometers into miles. So I subtracted exactly 400,000 miles, from 612k to 212k, meaning the next time it reaches 600,000 there will actually be 1 million miles on the vehicle. (The actual distance covered is always stored in the ECU.) I've been adding about 5,000 miles a month this year, slightly more than in previous years. Currently almost 668k miles.

I know there are quite a few Mk4 Golfs and Jettas with over 700k miles, and probably more than 800k but I don't know any of those owners.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Here's my 2003 Golf TDI, photo taken yesterday.

And here's a photo of the odometer from November 5th of 2016. I had to roll back the odometer because the instrument cluster could not convert more than 999,999 kilometers into miles. So I subtracted exactly 400,000 miles, from 612k to 212k, meaning the next time it reaches 600,000 there will actually be 1 million miles on the vehicle. (The actual distance covered is always stored in the ECU.) I've been adding about 5,000 miles a month this year, slightly more than in previous years. Currently almost 668k miles.

I know there are quite a few Mk4 Golfs and Jettas with over 700k miles, and probably more than 800k but I don't know any of those owners.

What do you do that gets you to put all those miles on? Id move to MN in a heart beat to get a job that pays me enough to drive 5k miles a month
laugh.gif

'97 Toyota T-100 4x4 camp truck... mostly dirt cheap 5/30 dino..still uses no oil and goes down the road like a steed on the new LTX rubber and everything works like it's going another 274k

Originally Posted By: dblshock

'97 Toyota T-100 4x4 camp truck... mostly dirt cheap 5/30 dino..still uses no oil and goes down the road like a steed on the new LTX rubber and everything works like it's going another 274k

I have 243k on mine and I love it. Recently have had some issues engaging 4wd but otherwise it is amazingly reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back