Michigan accepts Canada's trash in landfills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
skyactiv said:
I wonder if Mexico takes trash from th USA?

They do, but it's tough to throw it over the wall.
On a serious note, I know that certain hazardous recyclables, like lead acid batteries used to be and might still be exported to Mexico to take advantage of a looser regulatory regime.
After all, what's a little lead oxide laced sulfuric acid poured down a hill and into a stream that supplies drinking water as well as a little lead vapor in the air from open fire melt kettles? [/quo

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Michigan Companies would bid on the contract? They want the garbage.
Michigan landfills accept trash from other States as well.

Trash is fuel. Roughly 75% is paper/ wood and plastic. Sweep the ferrous content with magnets and burn the rest like in Sweden and several places in the US.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
The govts of our north and south neighbors don't care about us.

Are they supposed to? Or are they instead charged with the task of attending first to the interests of their own citizens?
Did the Michigan landfills have this arrangement thrust upon them without their consent?

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Apparently the Durham garbage incinerator needs an upgrade
smirk.gif

If true, that's a huge surprise as it's been such a stellar performer so far!
crackmeup2.gif

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/01...d-schedule.html

Pretty sad eh? The Wynne Liberals can even screw up burning garbage
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
as a Canadian I am embarrassed to read this article

if we produce waste we should take of it, end of story

my apologies to our American Neighbors

You should take a trip to Ontario and drive the 401. These garbage hauling rigs are unfortunately a common sight. The GTA not only votes for Canada and Ontario, but it also can't even deal with its own refuse.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Trash is fuel. Roughly 75% is paper/ wood and plastic. Sweep the ferrous content with magnets and burn the rest like in Sweden and several places in the US.

Our government can even screw up burning garbage. We have an incinerator, but it has been, as per the article irv shared, hindered by red tape and incompetence.

Well, as I understand it, it's certain municipalities from Southern Ontario that are involved.

They do not represent Canada, notwithstanding that the residents there think they do.

It's as if a few cities in New Jersey were exporting trash to Michigan and the headline read "Rest of America exporting trash to Michigan" (or if Detroit residents represented every resident of Michigan).

As long as they stay in Ontario and don't move out West I don't care what the residents there do.

As long as they stay in Ontario and don't move out West I don't care what the residents there do.[/quote]

LOL. We're not all idiots out here.

a friend of mine is a college chemistry professor; he has a lot of lab waste that needs taken care of. He tracked down what the university does with it. Apparently it is sent to Canada where the restrictions for disposal appear to be not as strict. Not saying you can ride down the trans can and toss beakers out the window, but perhaps Canada can process and dispose of it better/cheaper? Even garbage disposal is subject to a competitive environment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
a friend of mine is a college chemistry professor; he has a lot of lab waste that needs taken care of. He tracked down what the university does with it. Apparently it is sent to Canada where the restrictions for disposal appear to be not as strict.

Sure they aren't just shipping it to Michigan? Maybe they can save a buck and cut out the middle man.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
a friend of mine is a college chemistry professor; he has a lot of lab waste that needs taken care of. He tracked down what the university does with it. Apparently it is sent to Canada where the restrictions for disposal appear to be not as strict.

Sure they aren't just shipping it to Michigan? Maybe they can save a buck and cut out the middle man.

smile.gif

Pretty sure; That would mess up the NAFTA numbers.

Last edited:
Down here, Wheelabrator has a most impressive garbage burning operation.

If you are standing directly outside of the building, you don't see smoke, you don't smell garbage or anything burning, and you don't feel abnormal heat. And they're using it all to provide electricity. It's a very impressive operation. Some real useful science going on there.

There's an electric power plant in the Indianapolis area that generates electricity from burning waste. I'm guessing that's where the non-metallic parts of oil filters recycled by Safety Kleen wind up (media, ADBV's, ecore cages, etc.).

The US does export some used automotive batteries for recycling, Mexico is a likely customer.

Garbage hs been shipoed around for a long time - who else remembers the saga of the garbage barge from New York that couldn't find a port to dock & offload once it had sailed back in 1987?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobro_4000

https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/long-island-garbage-barge-left-islip-30-years-ago/

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Down here, Wheelabrator has a most impressive garbage burning operation.

If you are standing directly outside of the building, you don't see smoke, you don't smell garbage or anything burning, and you don't feel abnormal heat. And they're using it all to provide electricity. It's a very impressive operation. Some real useful science going on there.

That's what the Durham incinerator does.

Durham York Energy Centre

Quote:
The Durham York Energy Centre (DYEC) is a waste management facility that produces energy from the combustion of garbage. The DYEC safely processes 140,000 tonnes per year of residential garbage that remains after maximizing waste diversion programs – reducing, reusing, recycling and composting – in Durham and York Regions. Councils from both Durham and York Regions endorsed Energy from Waste (EFW) in 2006 as the best long-term, local and sustainable option for final disposal of residential garbage.

In the past, residential garbage collected by Durham and York Regions has been sent to landfills. Rather than just burying garbage, the DYEC processes it to recover valuable resources such as energy and additional metals first, then reducing the volume for landfill disposal.

Energy in the form of electricity is generated by the EFW process – enough to power approximately 10,000 homes – which helps to conserve fossil fuels. Additionally, the facility has the ability to use steam energy for district heating in the future.

By using state-of-the-art pollution control systems and proven, reliable EFW technology, the DYEC meets the most stringent environmental standards; reduces greenhouse gas emissions compared to the existing landfill option; and reduces the overall volume of garbage being sent to landfill by up to 90 per cent.

Appears to be about 5MW. It is situated next to Darlington, our smaller 4-unit nuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back