Another McDonald's hot food burn lawsuit.

Eventually we'll see a cautionary consumption label on all foods served. It'll say something like ...

CAUTION! Food inside this container may (be):
- Hot enough to cause injury
- Cold enough to cause injury
- A choking hazard
- Contain anything that would trigger allergies
- Morally reprehensible
- Emotionally debilitating
- Initiate a need to retreat to a safe space

It'll be on the package right next to the Prop 65 label, because everything causes cancer.
Might make you fat

I’m thinking of all the missed opportunities my folks had with us. Riding bikes without helmets or pads. Playing cowboys and Indians with homemade bows and arrows. Drinking from the hose at the service station.

They could have been rich. One person gets the $$. The franchisee probably gets wiped out.

The story says, But McDonald's was found not negligent for causing the burns. If so, why was the plaintiff awarded $800,000? And if the premise of the allegation that a McNugget landing on your leg causes severe burns, why aren't these lawsuits filed very day from people putting them in their mouth and getting burned?
In my Aviation Law class years ago we discussed some of the crazy lawsuits. McDonald's was keeping their coffee at an unacceptably high temperature 180ish Fahrenheit. Once you dug into it it was an ah ha moment.

Why do people buy this slop?

These don't taste good anymore since they went from "ground up everything and anything chicken" to just breast meat.

A fake move to "healthier choices" Tastes like a fried wet sponge.

Garbage.

Yes I am mad as Helen since they stopped serving then deep-fried Hot Apple Pies!
And can they have any worse-tasting dipping sauce choices? What really going on in the McD's test kitchen?

So they were penalized for not putting a warning that nobody will read ... When a kid is screaming for their fries or nuggets do you really think the parent is going to take the time to read the packaging ?

What is usually not discussed in these stories is the fact that the reported incident is not the first one and McDonalds should have been aware of the danger, and did nothing about it.

McDonalds certainly knows it sells food to be consumed by children. And, that it is handing food out to people in cars who may drop it on themselves. Food hot enough to cause second degree burns is too hot to safely hand out through a window to unsuspecting customers.
That warning label will be read in its entirety by Mom as she pulls out onto the highway and slings the mcnuggets back at the 4 year old who is screaming I'M HUNGRY MOMMY

So, you're not supposed to use 300°F range oil temperature to cook frozen chicken nuggets?

I can see a new policy. No heat lamps to keep nuggets warm and they must rest at least 1/2 hour before serving to the customer... so imagine being told: "due to recent lawsuit, we can't serve you fresh from the grease nuggets, they must be served cold to prevent future liabilities" as they hand the customers a copy of the news article.

Saw that and I had thought it no longer worked after they made those cardboard sleeves for the coffee...

What is usually not discussed in these stories is the fact that the reported incident is not the first one and McDonalds should have been aware of the danger, and did nothing about it.

McDonalds certainly knows it sells food to be consumed by children. And, that it is handing food out to people in cars who may drop it on themselves. Food hot enough to cause second degree burns is too hot to safely hand out through a window to unsuspecting customers.
So, next time you go to McDonalds or any fast food joint, if you get something that is deep fried, you better demand them to serve you cold food. Enjoy eating cold shoe string french fries.

So they were penalized for not putting a warning that nobody will read ... When a kid is screaming for their fries or nuggets do you really think the parent is going to take the time to read the packaging ?
I think in legal circles, the same "ignorance of the law excuses not" would apply. If the consumer was warned, the rest is on them.

I took my dog to one of my daughters college softball games to watch her play and we stopped in McDonald’s on the way into town. We arrived just as the game started and I proceeded to begin eating and gave the dog several nuggets as I was preoccupied eating and watching the game. As I began cleaning up after eating I noticed three chicken nuggets beside my chair. The dog took the nuggets and dropped them lol.

Back