Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 vs. Defender LTX M/S

Looking to get the new Defender LTX M/S2 P Metric (265/70-17) for my 2018 4Runner when my current tire (KO2) needs replaced. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful by then.
This is what we recently bought for my wife's 2021 4Runner. We both love them.

And I plan to return to using these on my Tacoma when I replace the current Yokohama G015 Geolandars ( I had 2 sets of the LTX M/S-2 and 1 set of the Defender LTX M/S prior to trying the Geolandar. The Geolandar is OK, but doesn't measure up to the Michelins).

Treadwear, evenness of wear, and wet pavement traction (especially in cooler temps) and ride have been inferior to the Michelin.

Granted, it’s a less expensive tire.

I made the same switch Between the Michelin and Geolandar.

On road the Michelin is better (including snow).

Off road (poorly maintained USFS roads, some muddy oil patch, etc.) the Geolandars perform moderately better than the Michelin. They’ve held up quite well in muddy, snowy off pavement conditions and still perform very well on road.

Treadwear, evenness of wear, and wet pavement traction (especially in cooler temps) and ride have been inferior to the Michelin.

Granted, it’s a less expensive tire.

Sorry they didn't meet your expectations. I still have the E load range G015's on the 4Runner. They've been doing very well in last years very snowy winter, on 4wd trails, and in the wet. On pavement I would say the Michelins have the edge. I haven't run the P-rated G015's. I do know they start out at 13/32", vs the 18/32" the E load range starts at. Currently there's about $80 difference between P and E rated in the 265/70R17 size.

All tires are a compromise, it just depends what the priorities are for the tire.

Sorry they didn't meet your expectations. I still have the E load range G015's on the 4Runner. They've been doing very well in last years very snowy winter, on 4wd trails, and in the wet. On pavement I would say the Michelins have the edge. I haven't run the P-rated G015's. I do know they start out at 13/32", vs the 18/32" the E load range starts at. Currently there's about $80 difference between P and E rated in the 265/70R17 size.

All tires are a compromise, it just depends what the priorities are for the tire.
Right, my use has been 100% pavement.

It’s not unexpected.

Less than a year after I bought the tires, we moved, and my daily commute went from about 36 mi round trip, to around 92 miles round trip, almost all interstate @ 80 mph.

Which is the kind of use where the LTX shines.

We have the LTX M/S on our Jeep for about 20k miles. They are wearing well, ride nice, and are good in the snow. I will not buy them again because they tramline like crazy on grooved highways.

Back