Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 vs. Defender LTX M/S

Looking to get the new Defender LTX M/S2 P Metric (265/70-17) for my 2018 4Runner when my current tire (KO2) needs replaced. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful by then.

I’m sure TR sells a lot of Michelins; they aren’t going to rock the boat with a poor review of the successor product. It may be fine, but its hard to read much into that review.

I’m sure TR sells a lot of Michelins; they aren’t going to rock the boat with a poor review of the successor product. It may be fine, but its hard to read much into that review.
Their review of the Defender2 wasn’t exactly glowing.

I am getting them in May as my summer set. Will see how they do.

On that note, it is hard to improve already excellent product. It was by far most popular tore in that category. To me it seems they added some off road capabilities. I know they said that they tested them for 3,000 mile course in Spain on gravel to test chipping resistance.

Downside is $270 at Costco per tire for 265/60 R18.

Their review of the Defender2 wasn’t exactly glowing.
I agree, but TR also suggested it was generally an improvement over the former. It was very carefully worded and written.

I have been reading through some of their reviews and comparisons lately, and I’m not sure that they should sway a tire purchase decision.

Not including this tire in their most recent comparison of highway terrain truck tires seems intentional.

I agree, but TR also suggested it was generally an improvement over the former. It was very carefully worded and written.

I have been reading through some of their reviews and comparisons lately, and I’m not sure that they should sway a tire purchase decision.

Not including this tire in their most recent comparison of highway terrain truck tires seems intentional.
On the last one they had Continental TerrainContact H/T as winner.
If Defender M/S2 is slight improvement over old one, it is will be a winner in tests. But, you have to look deeper to see big improvements.
For example Continental H/T in 265/60 R18 weigh 38lbs. Falken Wildpeak H/T is 41lbs. New defender is 34lbs. That is low for tire of that size and capabilities (P version).

Just installed a set on my truck (Defender MS2 275/55/20). Just my personal opinion thus far…
They have a smooth ride, somewhat choppy (load index 117), and they are surprisingly noisier than the Goodyears- when new. Hopefully they don’t produce more noise as they wear and last twice as long as the GY tires. For what I paid for them I expected dead quiet….

I've installed 5 sets of both of these tires. I just installed my 2nd Straight Set of Michelin Defender LTX/MS 275/55/20 tires on my 2011 Expedition, with 370k miles Before that was the Defender MS2. The tires are both very similar, but I would give the nod to the LTX/MS tires. I normally run these down to 6-7/32nds (65-75k miles)and sell the takeoffs on Craigslist or most recently Facebook Marketplace for $300-350

Attachments

• IMG20231006102455.jpg
    IMG20231006102455.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG20231006102512.jpg
    IMG20231006102512.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 240
Just installed the MS2 on my V8 F150. The outer tread blocks have far fewer and far less zig-zag sipes although the center tread is identical. I immediately noticed more tire noise. They are too new to know if the noise will settle down. Wet traction seems similar, however, I'll bet a dollar the grip under 2wd, unloaded, very wet acceleration is slightly worse, as those aggressive sipes on the previous generation was the secret to the success on my pickup trucks.

Just installed the MS2 on my V8 F150. The outer tread blocks have far fewer and far less zig-zag sipes although the center tread is identical. I immediately noticed more tire noise. They are too new to know if the noise will settle down. Wet traction seems similar, however, I'll bet a dollar the grip under 2wd, unloaded, very wet acceleration is slightly worse, as those aggressive sipes on the previous generation was the secret to the success on my pickup trucks.
The compound is different. We will see how that works out in wet, but I would bet a bit better traction, braking and handling.
Continental TerrainContact H/T had fewer zig-zag grooves than the old model, yet was a better performer in wet.

What is exactly going on? I did a search on the Michelin site for 2020 F-150 tires. My size is 275/55/20 113H. It doesn’t list a “Defender” LTX M/S2. It only lists a LTX M/S2. The LTX M/S2 are the OE tires that are on my truck.
My truck was built in Nov. 2019.
Am I missing something?

What is exactly going on? I did a search on the Michelin site for 2020 F-150 tires. My size is 275/55/20 113H. It doesn’t list a “Defender” LTX M/S2. It only lists a LTX M/S2. The LTX M/S2 are the OE tires that are on my truck.
My truck was built in Nov. 2019.
Am I missing something?

I apologize. I found them. My stupid IPad doesn’t work as well as my Android phone.
They only come in the 275/55/20 117T so, this current size and rating isn’t something that I would consider as a replacement tire. I will only replace the OE tires with a 113H or 117H.
Why?
If speed index is that important for you, check Continental TerrainContact.

Why?
If speed index is that important for you, check Continental TerrainContact.
I’ve looked at them. The Continental tires are a little cheaper and that’s a plus. I have a good bit of tread left. I’m currently at 36,600 miles. The offerings may change when the time comes for replacement. The Falken Wildpeak HT/02 looks like a decent replacement.

We just got the old model on a road hazard warranty, because it was the closest to the Premier LTXs on the car that are discontinued. I notice zero difference which is good. Because I've always considered the Premier LTX to be quiet.

I’ve looked at them. The Continental tires are a little cheaper and that’s a plus. I have a good bit of tread left. I’m currently at 36,600 miles. The offerings may change when the time comes for replacement. The Falken Wildpeak HT/02 looks like a decent replacement.
Falken is good, middle of tge road tire in that segment. But it ain’t going to be Continental.

Back