Michelin Defender LTX M/S2...

Anyone have any experience with this tire? Not much info online. Pretty new and only five sizes available currently.
Hoping they have my OEM size when the time comes.

My Tacoma 4X4 came with these as original equipment. They lasted for 50K miles and performed well on the road. I replaced them with the LTX A/T-2 which is almost as quiet, cheaper and a bit more aggressive but still just as comfortable.

I also had these on my '21 Tacoma Off Road 6MT; replaced the stock wheels with the black TRD 17" wheels and these tires - ran super smooth and stable although I never went seriously off road. Reviews on Tire Rack claim some people get 70-80k miles on a set.

Attachments

• IMG_0211 (1).jpg
    IMG_0211 (1).jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 81
Michelin Defender is a go to for me ... all but the Jeep either run on them them or will once the OEM tires wear down. I have the truck tires on my '77 F-100, I'd have to check which version they are. Going to install them on the Yukon once it needs a new set of tires.

Excellent tires, good price point and outstanding performance.

Keep in mind this is not the Defender LTX M/S nor the LTX M/S2.
This is the Defender LTX M/S2, replacing or an addition to the Defender LTX M/S, which superseded the LTX M/S2.
Michelin has made this a little confusing.
With only five sizes available it can't have been out long. Not much info on it.
Interesting it only has a 50K warranty as apposed to the 70K of the Defender LTX M/S.

Last edited:
This is the Defender LTX M/S2, replacing or an addition to the Defender LTX M/S, which superseded the LTX M/S2.
With only five sizes available it can't have been out long. Not much info on it.
Interesting it only has a 50K warranty as apposed to the 70K of the Defender LTX M/S.
After reading this post I realized these were not the tires on my truck. I had the regular M/S 2, not the Defender. Michelin sure is confusing with the LTX line. The tread looks similar but not identical, I bet there is a different compound. Maybe a call to Michelin HQ might clear up your question...... I'd be curious as to exactly what difference there is in the "defender" line.

The Defender LTX M/S replaced the LTX M/S2 in 2015
That is part of the confusion; they actually kept both Defender and LTX M/S2 available.
SOme sizes are available as Defender LTX M/S, and some as LTX M/S2.

Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 10.44.37 PM.png

Different tire, but I went through three sets of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S line with good results. They used to be #1 rated by Consumer Reports...but now #3. The #1 rated truck all season tire is the Continental TerrainContact H/T which we've had for about 25k miles so far and they have been great. Out of 13 tested tires, the Continental was the only one CR is currently recommending.

Different tire, but I went through three sets of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S line with good results. They used to be #1 rated by Consumer Reports...but now #3. The #1 rated truck all season tire is the Continental TerrainContact H/T which we've had for about 25k miles so far and they have been great. Out of 13 tested tires, the Continental was the only one CR is currently recommending.
H/T has some impressive wet performance.
The unknown is off-road capability. Defender LTX was always known as a sturdy tire. I know a lot of people who use it on 4Runner and go off-roading where most people would think dedicated A/T is necessary.

P-metric sizes have 70,000 mile warranty, while LT tire sizes have 50,000 mile warranty.

Looks like it has less siping on each tread block and not as zig zag so less little biting edges. My knowledge always had the extra siping and zig zag more like winter tires and better for the snow as well as giving water a place to wick away.

1691641290051.jpg

Replaced after 40,000 miles on my wife's Equinox.
The temperature rating was a B...
I have to have A or AA traction, and A for temp.
Have Continentals now *****

Put a set of these on my wife's '21 CX-9 Signature a few weeks ago. They are noticeably more "all-terrain" looking than the previous gen I had on my Tacoma (talk about opposite world). They are a bit noisier than I remember too but def have more off-road chops than a standard SUV or car tire.

Back