Mercon V vs. Mercon LV

I'm normally a stickler for using only licensed/approved fluids in a transmission. My new-to-me 2011 Grand Marquis takes Mercon LV, but I have a ton of Mercon V on hand. Other than a potential miniscule fuel economy hit, is there any reason I can't use up the Mercon V in this car? The trans is a 4R75E if that matters.

IIRC, there was a thread that MolaKule or another one of the fluid makers commented on. Mercon LV is fully synthetic and much more shear resistant than V. Can you use it? Maybe. Will it cause problems? Again, maybe.

Correct fluid is so much cheaper than risking a transmission rebuild IMO, especially when the correct fluid is the more robust fluid of the two choices. 👍🏻

The beginning of the 2009 model year Crown Vics had some small changes (solenoids and internal wire harness) done in the transmission and Ford required LV. I'm assuming its the same on the Grand Marquis as well. Probably wouldn't hurt? BUT better safe than sorry.

I think I've decided on the following: since this car has an unknown service history and most people don't change the ATF regularly (if at all), I'll use the Mercon V I already have on hand as a "flush" while the weather is warm, then do a second drain & fill using proper Mercon LV in the fall.

What say you?

*UPDATE* I chickened out and used Motorcraft Mercon LV the whole way. Dropped the pan, new Motorcraft filter and installed new pan with drain plug. Now on it's second drain & fill. Plan on doing a third and possibly fourth D&F as the fluid that came out was pretty dark.

*UPDATE* I chickened out and used Motorcraft Mercon LV the whole way. Dropped the pan, new Motorcraft filter and installed new pan with drain plug. Now on it's second drain & fill. Plan on doing a third and possibly fourth D&F as the fluid that came out was pretty dark.
Mercon LV can and will look darker than other ATFs, even during a short drain and fill
It's a characteristic of the fluid, and is not a cause for concern
It's one thing for ATF to look burnt, if it smells burnt, that's where the problem starts
SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
21138 AUTO TRANS - MERCON LV FLUID COLOR
SOME 2008-2010 VEHICLES, EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FACTORY FILLED WITH MERCON LV FLUID (PART # XT-10-QLV), MAY EXHIBIT DARK COLORED TRANS FLUID THAT MAY LOOK BURNT IN APPEARANCE. THIS IS A NORMAL
CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS FLUID AND WILL NOT AFFECT TRANSMISSION FUNCTION OR DURABILITY. THE MERCON LV FLUID IS A DEEP RED COLOR, COMPARED TO CONVENTIONAL MERCON V BRIGHT RED FLUID, AND THE COLOR NATURALLY DARKENS AT RELATIVELY LOW MILEAGE. IN SOME CASES, THE FLUID MAY APPEAR TO HAVE A GREEN TINT DUE TO DYE USED TO CHECK FOR LEAKS AT THE ASSEMBLY PLANT. TRANS FLUID COLOR SHOULD NOT BE USED AS SOLE INDICATOR FOR TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.
REFER TO THE CORRECT VEHICLE AND MODEL YEAR WORKSHOP MANUAL AND/OR MAINTENANCE GUIDE FOR DIAGNOSTICS,
REPAIRS, AND/OR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.

How many miles are on your 2011 MGM?
There were ~100K on the 2000 I "resurrected" for a friend.
I wanted to do a trans D&F and put shocks in it but passing inspection is all they needed.
How much Mercon V do you have?

@michaelluscher: Thanks so much for that bulletin. This is my first experience with Mercon LV.

The Motorcraft LV that went in during the initial change looked just like the Mercon V colour I'm used to. The second drain still looked almost as dark as the first, but I ass-ume that's due to the low percentage of new fluid in the mix. Going to do a third D&F in the next week so I'll see what's what then.

Last edited:
Back