Synthetic Mercon V ?

Posted a question a while back for Tranny Fluid Changes. Going to do fluid changes yearly. Was swayed by posts there to go with vehicle specific fluids and synthesics. The 3 gms i have all take dexron 3, so Dex 4 is now the recommended fluid for those applications and there's plenty of approved synthetics for those vehicles. I'll be staying away from Maxlife and the Mobil 1 universal stuff.

But for my 96 f250 with an e40d, it originally took Mercon which now Mercon V is recommended. I found Valvoline makes a merc v "for use in mercon v applications" and it's a synthetic.....but it's not Ford approved. Can only find conventional approved merc v fluid on google. Anyone know of a synthetic merc v approved by ford? Should I just use the Valvoline "for merc v applications" and hope for the best?

Work will be done at a mechanic shop and they said they normally use Wolf's Head but they'd be fine with me bringing my own fluid as long as it's what's called for.

Thank you

P.S.
I have another tranny specialty shop that I've gone to in the past but they only want to use their brand called BG. And i don't think BG makes licesed Merc V.

You could use Mobil 1 ATF, it is a synthetic that meets Mercon V specs. Check you local AutoZone it is on clearance for $6/qt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why won't you use maxlife? I have had great success with it.
Idk was told on another thread to stick with what ford recommends and saw some hour long video posted here on how maxlife is deceptive. I do have it in a 4t80e tranny but thats posta get dex vi and thats the only spec maxlife is truly licensed for i believe?

Can LV be used in place of V? :unsure:

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future ATF changes much easier :)

Any synthetic multi will work great with no problem.

Can LV be used in place of V? :unsure:

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future ATF changes much easier :)

Any synthetic multi will work great with no problem.
Right already have doorman on pick up and one for suv.

I think it's just the Mercon V spec'd transmissions that get bad torque converter shudder when a multi fluid is used. With my 4R70w and previous AX4S, I'd always make sure to run a specific Mercon-V fluid. Your E4OD might be able to use a compatible multi since it spec'd Mercon from the factory

So besides recommending a multivehicle atf.....does anyone know of a licensed merc v synthetic?

I think it's just the Mercon V spec'd transmissions that get bad torque converter shudder when a multi fluid is used. With my 4R70w and previous AX4S, I'd always make sure to run a specific Mercon-V fluid. Your E4OD might be able to use a compatible multi since it spec'd Mercon from the factory
Aye i think so but is a 96.....same year ford started using merc v.

Was told to stay away from multi vehicle fluids.
While Maxlife is a good option with that being said I do not believe it is a one size fits all type of situation with it. Maxlife claims to be compatible with Mercon V and Mercon LV, problem with that is Mercon V and Mercon LV are not compatible with each other.

You might be stuck with Ford Motorcraft or Mobil 1

Your truck came from the factory with Mercon which is the same as Dexron III. Both Mercon and Dexron are trademarked by Ford and GM respectively and they no longer allow those names to be licensed for use on commercial products, but the exact same fluid is still sold as "Dex/Merc" by a lot of different brands. I also have a similar vintage truck with the E4OD and I have stuck with regular Dexron/Mercon and change every 20k miles or so. I also use LubeGuard Red.

If you want a synthetic Dexron III / Mercon fluid look for one that has an Allison TES 295 or TES 686 specification. These are fully compatible with Dexron III and are synthetic. Two examples are Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF and Castrol TranSynd.

I have used Valvoline, Supertech and Castrol Mercon V fluids in all my Fords for many years and have never had a problem. If you really want a licensed Ford product, you can always spend more to get Motorcraft fluid but I don't see the need.

Posted a question a while back for Tranny Fluid Changes. Going to do fluid changes yearly. Was swayed by posts there to go with vehicle specific fluids and synthesics. The 3 gms i have all take dexron 3, so Dex 4 is now the recommended fluid for those applications and there's plenty of approved synthetics for those vehicles. I'll be staying away from Maxlife and the Mobil 1 universal stuff.

But for my 96 f250 with an e40d, it originally took Mercon which now Mercon V is recommended. I found Valvoline makes a merc v "for use in mercon v applications" and it's a synthetic.....but it's not Ford approved. Can only find conventional approved merc v fluid on google. Anyone know of a synthetic merc v approved by ford? Should I just use the Valvoline "for merc v applications" and hope for the best?

Work will be done at a mechanic shop and they said they normally use Wolf's Head but they'd be fine with me bringing my own fluid as long as it's what's called for.

Thank you

P.S.
I have another tranny specialty shop that I've gone to in the past but they only want to use their brand called BG. And i don't think BG makes licesed Merc V.
I've had several of those transmissions. You can safetly run Mercon V & is recommended by my transmission shop. Don't run LV in the E40D.

I have used Valvoline, Supertech and Castrol Mercon V fluids in all my Fords for many years and have never had a problem. If you really want a licensed Ford product, you can always spend more to get Motorcraft fluid but I don't see the need.
You don’t have to get the Motorcraft branded fluid to get a licensed fluid however.

Having said that, put me on the list of happy Maxlife customers, I use the product in every application that is listed on the container including a Ford.

Back