Mercedes E430, M1 0w40 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought this car used a couple of weeks ago. The service records show that the PO had used the FSS computer to trigger oil changes. Average was 13k miles OCI. Oil used was M1 0w40 and Mann Fleece filter. When I changed it, (and pulled this sample), the FSS was indicating 7700 miles to oil change. So I figure the last change was 6k miles or so. I'm pretty impressed with this motor and this oil...

2000 MB E430 4.3L v8

Oil Type: M1 0W40
Mi on Oil: 6k dunno for sure
Mi on Veh: 67474

Second number is universal average:

Aluminum: 2 7
Chromium: 0 1
Iron: 4 16
Copper: 2 7
Lead: 0 6
Tin: 0 1
Molybdenum: 47 15
Nickel: 0 1
Manganese: 0 7
Silver: 0 0
Titanium: 0 0
Potassium: 0 1
Boron: 63 52
Silicon: 13 14
Sodium: 10 8
Calcium: 2131 1445
Magnesium: 311 817
Phosphorus: 995 853
Zinc: 1142 1005
Barium: 0 0
Vis@210 71.2
TBN 9.4

Blackstone comments:

JIM: We see few engines of any type that wear as well as your MB 4.3L. You don't know the miles put on this oil and we can only guess, but it was not many. The oil type may be 10w40. Our average oil sample from this type engine has been in use 8,660 miles, so operators of this type engine get the most out of their oil fills, Universal average wear is based on those miles. We suggest going with the computer for the oil changeas 7,700 more miles should get you up to about average. The TBN was 9.4, quite high. Resample at the change to monitor wear.

Looks like this Benz has been well cared for. With the high TBN, I wouldn't be surprised if the PO was "lube-aware" and had been doing mid-FSS indicated OCs on his own. People who luck into purchases like yours should be taken out and summarily shot - just 'cause!

suuuuuweeet!

Too bad we can't put a hard number on the miles....but it must be high, because we know synthetic and low miles make high metals
smile.gif
JUST KIDDING!!!

The rear main seal was replaced under warranty 5500 miles prior to the oil change, so I'm guessing the oil was changed then. I do have the records that show 13k oil changes for the life of the vehicle up to that time. So my 6k guess it probably pretty close.

Also, that was the EASIEST oil change I ever performed. The engine is designed to have it's oil extracted from the dipstick, and the filter is a cartridge "bayonet" type at the front of the engine. Took about 5 minutes total...

Jim

No offense to you at all, but some of those numbers seem impossible (large error) such as zinc, phosphorus, and TBN. It's possible, but not probably that they are correct. I'd ask Blackstone what's up to see if their tests have been giving whacky results during that timeframe. OR
Are you sure this is really M1 0W-40?

The dealership that did the last oil change told me they use only M1 0w40 and Mann Fleece on my model year car. That's all I have to go on. But in comparing to other MB's on this forum, with this oil, the numbers are not far off.I'll do another UOA when it's time for another change... might be a while, though!

JimG:
quote:

... the EASIEST oil change I ever performed. The engine is designed to have it's oil extracted from the dipstick, and the filter is a cartridge "bayonet" type at the front of the engine. Took about 5 minutes total...

What do you use to extract the oil? I have a Pela vacuum extractor I have been using on transmissions. Last weekend, it took about 20 minutes to extract 4 quarts from a Chevy Cavalier. Slow, and steady.

I'm a boat owner, so I used my Jabsco oil extractor. It's a 12v Jabsco pump mounted on a five gallon bucket. Sucked it right out of there... Believe it or not, gets more oil out than draining on this particular model.

Pablo, if my memory serves me correctly, Mobil 1 0W-40 has zinc and phosphorus concentrations well under 1000 ppm, especially in the latest forumulations. And my memory of the virgin TBN is that it's around 11 or 12 and it just seems highly unusual that in 6000 miles, it would only drop to 9.4 (that would be amazing, but possible I guess). I'm not saying I'm right, but those 3 results don't jive with what I recall seeing in the past. But this UOA looks great and the accuracy of those values don't really matter in a practical sense. He'll move on with the next oil change putting in his own oil and if there was any lab error, it likely won't happen next time.
smile.gif

If this IS correct...THAT's how they can recommend extended--as in e_x_t_e_n_d_e_d--oil changes...being the Elvish one that I am, I must give credit to the fleece filter...it must really be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
grin.gif

Hey JAG, check this out. Here's a UOA from same model car, same older 0w40 at 13k miles. Look familiar? It's Tri-syn. I'll bet the dealership still had a drum or two...

'01 E430 Oil Analysis Result - FSS & Mobil 1 @ 13K Miles

'01E430: I promised I'd post results of my oil analysis and I have it. The analysis was performed by Oil Analysis lab, Inc., Spokane, WA. My driving style involves daily short trips of less than 10 miles to & back from work, weekend highway trips, usually over 100 miles and usually at an average speed of 75MPH. Maximum sustained speed is 95MPH for several miles. Max speed attained is 120MPH, several brief moments since purchased. The FSS called for first 'A' service at just over 13,100 miles. At 13,066 miles I took it in. The oil is Mobil 1 0W40. The analysis is grouped in four categories - Physical Data, Metal Concentrations, Additive Package and Maintenance Recommendations (for those interested, the actual test data is given at the end of this post). In all but Metal Concentration, everything is normal. Infact, at 13K miles, I think that the oil did pretty well. In Metal Moncentration, Silicon is slightly less than moderate and its contamination is causing abbrasive wear (silicon is from airborne dirt). Aluminum and copper are moderate and should be monitored. Maintenance Recommendation calls for oil & filter to be changed if not done yet and that the metal concentrations are most likely from engine break-in.

Here's the result data:

A) Physical Data
Viscosity: 11.7 cST @ 100C
Fuel Dilution: 0%
Soot: 0
Oxidation: 0
Nitration: 0
Water: 0%
Anti-freeze: 0%
B) Metal Concentration (parts per million by weight)
Silicon: 78 - requires monitoring
Iron: 50
Chromium: 2
Aluminum: 28 - requires monitoring
Copper: 29 - requires monitoring
Lead: 19
Tin: 0
Nickel: 1
Silver: 0
C) Additive Package (parts per million by weight)
Molybdenum: 1
Magnesium: 709
Sodium: 21
Titanium: 0
Boron: 3
Potassium: 8
Calcium: 1457
Zinc: 1116
Barium: 4
Phosphorus: 1206

Yeah, the dealer may have bought a boat-load of the Tri-Syn a while back and are still using it. The additive package ppm numbers (calcium, moly, magnesium) in your UOA are somewhat close to the one above, but not close enough to be 100% sure. If you really want to know, maybe you can find out from the dealer who stocks this oil. Someone there might know. Or, you could just smile and say to yourself: "Good job unknown oil! Your identity will remain a mystery, but I thank you for your great service."
grin.gif

Well, I'm still believing the Elves sneaked some magic in there somewhere...this is one impressive UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back