merc sterndrice coupler grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coupler - the thing behind the engine btw the engine and transom - does anyone use HP trailer wheel bearing grease on it rather than the Merc "spline" grease.

Not talking about gimbal grease (tho I have some of that)

Seems gimbal grease and HP trailer wheel bearing grease would cover the grease spectrum. Spline move only when triming in and out?

I use the same grease on the coupler as I do on the gimbals. I've used the teflon stuff for years. I do have wondered about that, I think a good heat resistant grease would work just as well. The main thing, keep it smoothered.

I just checked, it's the 2,4 C Marine Lubricant with Teflon from Quicksilver. I've used that on every grease zerk I can find. Even for the trailer bearings, it's got teflon in it, so it has some water resistant properties in it, I felt that was good enough. The only thing that I don't use that on is the prop splines. No troubles yet. Unless your racing and that engine and outdrive is churning up 4 to 6 K rpm's for extended periods of time, I think the 2,4 C stuff is good enough. Sure, you can follow the owners manual and get about 4 different types of greases for the different grease zerks, but I think this will work just fine. Remember, this is my opinon and my boat is a 3.0LX engine and never sees any winter time cruising.

Mine is the same engine.
I wonder what professional boat mechanics do (not at the Merc dealer) - hard to believe they tie up 3 or 4 grease guns with different greases.
And changing grease in a gun is real messy.
You would need
gimbal grease
wheel bearing grease
coupler grease

That's what I do -- own three grease guns at $10 each with Merc 2-4-C in one for wheel bearings and misc boat, car, and lawn mower apps, another gun with gimbal bearing grease, and another one with engine coupler/hinge grease. It is a pain and somewhat expensive, but until someone can give me one grease to do all....

Speaking of expensive, the boat is too. An extra $50 for grease guns and lubes seems like a bargain -- especially when you consider shop rates.

Depending on the year, the u joints are permanently sealed. I know my year, 96 is. I agree, boats aren't cheap and can appreciate what your saying, but in my case, boat doesn't get used a lot, maybe 30 hours a year, if that. Sits a lot. Heck, I've probably got the original lube from the factory still sitting in there and I add maintenance lube just for a piece of mine probably.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Mine is the same engine.
I wonder what professional boat mechanics do (not at the Merc dealer) - hard to believe they tie up 3 or 4 grease guns with different greases.
You would need
gimbal grease
wheel bearing grease
coupler grease

that is what I was thinking

My initial research says: A synthetic multi-service, aluminum-complex grease would work

Moly EP Synthetic Plus Grease (#274) is a multipurpose, extreme pressure wide temperature range grease that is specially formulated for use in all types of heavy duty automotive, construction, mining, farming and industrial equipment and electric motor applications that are being used under the most adverse conditions of excessive pressure, high shock loading, extreme hot and cold temperatures, and moisture.

I ty up 3 grease guns.But the 24C is tough to beat for just about anything other than U-joints and gimbal bearing.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Mine is the same engine.
You would need
gimbal grease
wheel bearing grease
coupler grease

All of the replacement gimbal bearings from Merc now are the sealed type,unless you run across one that is old stock.
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Depending on the year, the u joints are permanently sealed. I know my year, 96 is. I agree, boats aren't cheap and can appreciate what your saying, but in my case, boat doesn't get used a lot, maybe 30 hours a year, if that. Sits a lot. Heck, I've probably got the original lube from the factory still sitting in there and I add maintenance lube just for a piece of mine probably.

My local merc dealer doesn't sell engine coupler grease (spline). Both senior techs said they use the 2-4-c grease and they implied that it isn't a big deal to go a few years without greasing it.

I did find the 18-9200 Sierra spline grease is only 8-12 per tube. Napa part stores and online stores have it.

So I'll be using royal purple grease for gimble and trailer bearings. And correct spline grease on the spline.

I am curious to see the visual difference and mix the two together for a compatablity test.

Wow, talk about rising the dead!!! Since 03, I've had the boat out maybe for two summers and continued to use the 2,4 C quicksilver stuff because I literally bought a "boat" load of the stuff when I first got the boat. I've recently bought the Pennzoil brand of this stuff as a backup. Anyway, haven't had a problem with it since. I started feeling a little throb on the steering wheel when turning sharp corners last year, but that's not a greasing issue, it's a gimbal issue. I've never have taken the outdrive off of the boat since I bought it. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it. Plus, I don't put a whole lot of hours on it and when not being used, it's on the trailer and sitting covered in an enclosed metal building.

Changing the coupler is a hard job. However if you pull the drive every year which you should be doing for inspection, you can use pretty much any grease. Frequency is more important than what kind of grease.

For the record, coupler can be also greased from behind the engine (zerk on a shaft, hard to see and need to bump engine a few times for good greasing position).

I use dedicated Sierra spline grease as it is different, more sticky to resist centrifugal forces.

Only on the Alpha Gen 2 or Alpha 1 that has had coupler replaced to the newer style with zerk fitting and driveshaft with o ring.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
For the record, coupler can be also greased from behind the engine (zerk on a shaft, hard to see and need to bump engine a few times for good greasing position).

I use dedicated Sierra spline grease as it is different, more sticky to resist centrifugal forces.

Mine is a '96 model and I have zerks on the coupler shaft. The U-joints on that model and above, Alpha 1, are have permanently lubed from the factory.

I believe that the 1994 and newer 3.0L/3.0LX,1993 and newer GM V6 & V8 had greasable couplers from the factory.Merc sells greasable coupler kits that will back fit most GM engines that have the alpha 1 drive and the 2 or 3 years for GM engines with the alpha 1 Gen2.
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Mine is a '96 model and I have zerks on the coupler shaft. The U-joints on that model and above, Alpha 1, are have permanently lubed from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back