Men’s pants

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking for recommendations for casual pants. Some call them technical/tactical/hiking pants.

I wear All American Clothing and Round House jeans. I wear Bill’s Khakis for my work pants when not wearing a suit.

I want some lighter, comfortable long pants for casual wear and traveling.

I do not want to look like a wannabe “operator”, or tactical trainer, or EMT. I also don’t want pants from a company that makes their stuff in a sweatshop in the third world.

Perhaps I’m asking too much, but does such a thing exist? I had seen 1620 products that looked decent, but they’re very expensive and more oriented towards hard working pants (like a comfortable alternative to my double layer carhartt pants).

So looking for some options that are decent and relatively well priced. I can go to LL bean or equivalent and buy various pants of this type but im not sure they meet my criteria. Not sure if any do…

Recommendations?

Thanks!

I beat the tar out of dickies 874 pants and they have held up and stayed comfortable for me. Not expensive either although it might be a bit beneath what you're looking for. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head where that line is made though.

Express outlet or retail store; if you registered online, they always send you coupons

Quality, style, endurance; no match for its competition

pricey yes, yet you get what you pay for

I beat the tar out of dickies 874 pants and they have held up and stayed comfortable for me. Not expensive either although it might be a bit beneath what you're looking for. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head where that line is made though.

Thanks. Not sure what you mean by beneath what I’m looking for. They’re a cross between work pants and khakis. I’m set with both, and not really what I’m looking for. But thanks!

Express outlet or retail store; if you registered online, they always send you coupons

Quality, style, endurance; no match for its competition

pricey yes, yet you get what you pay for

Not looking for jeans, and I don’t think their lines cover what I’m looking for.

Yeah I had read that. I had seen 5.11 and tru spec. Those in a more benign form (I dont need knife pockets and side pockets and tactical doodads) are about what I’m looking for, but I don’t think either of those brands are US made.

Blackhawk and 5.11 are the standard.
Sometimes LAPG gear pants are fine too (they are much less expensive ) I am literally wearing a pair right now I just ordered and unpacked to check if they still fall out true to size and they do.
Coyote Brown is what I got since Olive Drab and FDE are well represented already in my wardrobe.

Textile manufacturing in the 3rd world , helps everyone BTW.
These folks are not forced but it is a great opportunity for them of which many are proud.

PS: Never mind just read your next paragraph you "dont want to look like a wannabe operator"
The pants above are what contractors wear.
Whether they are trigger pullers, petroleum engineers onsite, DOD logisticians, etc etc

If that is "wannabe operator" then so be it (I wear these for a living BTW, so I guess that makes me a "wannabe")

Last edited:
Flint and Tinder 365 pants at huckberry.com

Last edited:
I like duluth and the prices are outrageous for not made in usa.
I'd pay even more gouging prices if they were made in usa.

Blackhawk and 5.11 are the standard.
Sometimes LAPG gear pants are fine too (they are much less expensive ) I am literally wearing a pair right now I just ordered and unpacked to check if they still fall out true to size and they do.
Coyote Brown is what I got since Olive Drab and FDE are well represented already in my wardrobe.

Textile manufacturing in the 3rd world , helps everyone BTW.
These folks are not forced but it is a great opportunity for them of which many are proud.

PS: Never mind just read your next paragraph you "dont want to look like a wannabe operator"
The pants above are what contractors wear.
Whether they are trigger pullers, petroleum engineers onsite, DOD logisticians, etc etc

If that is "wannabe operator" then so be it (I wear these for a living BTW, so I guess that makes me a "wannabe")
“Standard”? Not sure what that really means.

What I saw when at LL Bean was this:

My point is I’m not looking for “tactical” pants for the point of being “tactical”. And I don’t really want a million pockets.

And relative to third world textiles, some stuff you can’t control, some things you can… sometimes third world is the only choice. I like to try to buy stuff made in the US if I can… especially if third world name brand isn’t severely discounted commensurate with the significantly lower cost of operation and labor. I’m looking for options of that kind or similar if anyone has them. I can go to the tactical gear or 5.11 site… or LL Bean if I wanted to.

Last edited:
And sorry, maybe to be more clear, I’m not looking for canvas or denim or similar pants. Color doesn’t matter so much (dark grey or navy probably are best though), but I’m looking for something in a lighter, better moving material. I have jeans, I have khakis, I know where to get tan jean type pants.

Maybe nobody in the US makes them??

Tommy Bahama herringbone pants? 90% silk, 10% cotton. Made in USA.
They say imported on the site. Not what I’m looking for, why I’m looking for it, but these do seem to be a god summertime trouser worth a try.

As indicated before, I’m looking more for “hiking pants” for lack of better term. Lighter than denim, tougher and likely lighter than khaki, etc. The LL bean ones I linked to above were ok, the bottom of the legs seemed too wide even for me, and I have pretty well shaped, muscular calves. Looked baggy.., not sure why.

But looking for options besides the ll bean ones I linked to above.., but that sort of thing.

Not opposed to a lay flat side pocket, but don’t want baggy cargo pockets…

“Standard”? Not sure what that really means.

What I saw when at LL Bean was this:

My point is I’m not looking for “tactical” pants for the point of being “tactical”. And I don’t really want a million pockets.

And relative to third world textiles, some stuff you can’t control, some things you can… sometimes third world is the only choice. I like to try to buy stuff made in the US if I can… especially if third world name brand isn’t severely discounted commensurate with the significantly lower cost of operation and labor. I’m looking for options of that kind or similar if anyone has them. I can go to the tactical gear or 5.11 site… or LL Bean if I wanted to.
Sorry I did not mean to come across so snarky.. :sneaky:

In searching, the 5.11 fast-tac urban pants seem close to what I’d like to find…

Back