Comfortable and functional pants for men

I think all my pants are stretchy now... :LOL:

I've been buying a lot of Wrangler outdoor flex from WM when their on sale... fit great and very comfortable. Only downside is longevity, being the material is thin.

Duluth Trading. They're a little pricey, but they last and are very comfortable and easy to work in.

I wore Dickies EMT Cargo Pants for years, Then North Face bought Williamson-Dickie & completely ruined the cut & material. I now wear Duluth Flex Fire Hose Cargo Pants for work exclusively......The price is worth the comfort.

Wish they had a button down work shirt with 2 pockets, I still rely on Dickies Flex work shirts.

Duluth Crew Socks & Bullpen Boxer Briefs are awesome as well.

Just found some Eddie Bauer jeans at Costco for $17. They fit a little long which is nice for when I eventually shrink them 😆. I'm 6'2 220, plenty of room in the thighs too as I don't like skinny jeans

I wear either Dickies or Lee Carpenter jeans. The last time I purchased them I bought a few pair of Lee right off their website.

Gap relax fit is what usually works for me, but they don't last too long because they are not rugged. Functional wise cargo pants are pretty good. Lee last forever but they aren't too comfortable.

I wore Dickies EMT Cargo Pants for years, Then North Face bought Williamson-Dickie & completely ruined the cut & material. I now wear Duluth Flex Fire Hose Cargo Pants for work exclusively......The price is worth the comfort.

Wish they had a button down work shirt with 2 pockets, I still rely on Dickies Flex work shirts.

Duluth Crew Socks & Bullpen Boxer Briefs are awesome as well.

I should have bought more fire hose pants while they were on sale way back when. Haven’t really thought about them until I read your post. I remember the pants running pretty small, IIRC. I bought my exact waste and it was something like 2 sizes tighter. They still worked and worked great! I’ll have to get some more when they’re sale

I found some Columbia rapid river pants that were on sale at bass pro for $39.99. They are pretty comfortable so far. I did see some interesting suggestions here though that I do intend of trying to find as well.

Is it just me or is finding comfortable pants that are also functional about impossible? Seems like jeans never fit right. Is their anything as comfortable as slacks with the functionality of a pair of jeans or cargo pants? I carry a wallet, pocket clip leatherman multi tool and keys. I always wear a belt yet I can’t seem to find something light enough to be free moving and yet durable enough to wear daily and not walk right through them in short order. Jeans usually don’t fit on my waist well and slowly want to slide down or knee movement is restricted. At least that’s the issue I have with wranglers, Levi’s just fit to small. I’m 5’10 250lbs so I’m heavier set. I’m usually a 36in waist. Do you have the same issues? Have you found a nice alternative? Budget friendly is also appreciated but I’d also pay more for something that is truly a nice fit.
I liked the L.L.Bean Relaxed fit jeans with the elastic waistband on each side. Trouble , I keep reading about how that company's products have gone to pot. Used to be, they sold top notch goods, but I guess they too have felt compelled to go the China way. I'm hoping my next order of their jeans will work for me.

I like Wrangler and Rural King jeans best. For $9.99 the Rural King jeans can’t be beat. Strong and durable even when I’m crawling on the ground or under a car. I wear them and the shorts almost everyday I’m off. For work pants I like Dickies best. At work we have Cintas ones we have to wear which are ok but either I’ve lost weight or they are really big because even with a belt I find myself constantly having to pull them up and they are my size. I’ve also got some older Craftsman work pants I like too

I purchase tactical pants from the local Army-Navy store. The brand is Tru-Spec, and the version I like is the "Men's Original".

I find that they hold up really well, are very comfortable and have nice big pockets. Been wearing them for 15 years now. By far, the best I've found. I like their shorts too.

I dislike my Tru-Spec pants. They don't fit me well and the cargo pockets eject everything I keep in there as soon as I sit down. The flaps on the cargo pockets are undersized and just won't stay closed. They are stain-repellent and do last a long time which doesn't help because I want to get rid of them. I'm happy they work.for you, though.

STS. It's summer. It's warm. I'm retired.

I wear shorts. Stretchy shorts mostly.

My nuts are happy wherever I go.

You want fancy, I'll wear my nice black Nike's and awesome Dickies, UA, other short socks. You want party, I have some super awesome Keen sandals. Hiking? Boots. Working outside? Work boots and socks. Or one of my 3 pairs of work tennie shoes.

I’ve been very pleased with my round house work jeans.

I dislike my Tru-Spec pants. They don't fit me well and the cargo pockets eject everything I keep in there as soon as I sit down. The flaps on the cargo pockets are undersized and just won't stay closed. They are stain-repellent and do last a long time which doesn't help because I want to get rid of them. I'm happy they work.for you, though.
Are we talking about the same model pants? I wear a 36 waist, and just measured the pockets at 11 inches deep. Nothing comes out, in fact if anything they are a bit too deep and my wallet rubs on my thigh muscle. The Velcro flaps measure at 3 inches and the cargo pockets 7.5 inches deep.

I just don't see those issues with the pants and shorts I purchase, in any way, shape or form.

Are we talking about the same model pants? I wear a 36 waist, and just measured the pockets at 11 inches deep. Nothing comes out, in fact if anything they are a bit too deep and my wallet rubs on my thigh muscle. The Velcro flaps measure at 3 inches and the cargo pockets 7.5 inches deep.

I just don't see those issues with the pants and shorts I purchase, in any way, shape or form.
They are True Spec Men's Original Tactical Pants. The main leg cargo pockets just won't stay closed. When I sit down with the upper legs just slightly raised, like in a car seat, the contents exit the pockets if I don't hold the pockets closed with my hands while sitting down. The Velcro patches aren't strong enough for a teenage girl's purse. Also, why noisy Velcro instead of snaps? Rear end fit is too baggy for me.

I went back to 511 cargo pants. This is the Apex (Ape X?} model. I liked the old model from 15 years ago better. The new fabric is less soft polycotton that's also a bit more noisy. On the plus side it should be a more durable material. The waist is stretchy. The deep leg pockets are quite narrow at the zipper and I avoid sticking my whole hand in there. If the openings were a 3/4 inch wider I'd be very happy. The 511 pants are lighter than the Tru Spec and they fit much better. Less baggy, more fitted. The fabric is stretchy throughout and the crotch is gusseted to allow full leg articulation.

Last edited:
Back