Comfortable and functional pants for men

Is it just me or is finding comfortable pants that are also functional about impossible? Seems like jeans never fit right. Is their anything as comfortable as slacks with the functionality of a pair of jeans or cargo pants? I carry a wallet, pocket clip leatherman multi tool and keys. I always wear a belt yet I can’t seem to find something light enough to be free moving and yet durable enough to wear daily and not walk right through them in short order. Jeans usually don’t fit on my waist well and slowly want to slide down or knee movement is restricted. At least that’s the issue I have with wranglers, Levi’s just fit to small. I’m 5’10 250lbs so I’m heavier set. I’m usually a 36in waist. Do you have the same issues? Have you found a nice alternative? Budget friendly is also appreciated but I’d also pay more for something that is truly a nice fit.

I always liked the Dickies auto shop style uniform pants. They fit well and were easy to clean. I can’t wear them for work anymore because they don’t carry a FR rating. I work in 480v electrical panels now.

I like wrangler myself ,,,I think maybe they're called relaxed fit , not sure second choice would be dickies

Not directly related but my wife got me a pair of suspenders this past Christmas from The Holdup Suspender Company, and I have to say, I’m quite happy with them. Them plus a belt tends to get the job done.

I like to dress nicely however, there is nothing as comfortable and useful as khakis and cargo pants & shorts. Just as important is what we do or don't wear underneath. And I'm not being a smarty pants(PUN intended). :LOL:

Last edited:
wrangler riggs. If you have a govx account they have lot's of choices. I like the 511 brand and another brand that escapes me. Dickies and duluth are in my rotation as well.

Is it just me or is finding comfortable pants that are also functional about impossible? Seems like jeans never fit right. Is their anything as comfortable as slacks with the functionality of a pair of jeans or cargo pants? I carry a wallet, pocket clip leatherman multi tool and keys. I always wear a belt yet I can’t seem to find something light enough to be free moving and yet durable enough to wear daily and not walk right through them in short order. Jeans usually don’t fit on my waist well and slowly want to slide down or knee movement is restricted. At least that’s the issue I have with wranglers, Levi’s just fit to small. I’m 5’10 250lbs so I’m heavier set. I’m usually a 36in waist. Do you have the same issues? Have you found a nice alternative? Budget friendly is also appreciated but I’d also pay more for something that is truly a nice fit.
I started wearing Wrangler flex waist pants because I usually have to work up a sweat and then climb into a small airplane and fly for four hours in a small seat. https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-...egory=WRG_MEN_PANTS&dwvar_NW780_color=NW788FR

I used to wear denim jeans, but once I discovered the Wrangler flex waist (and flex everything else), I have been comfortable.

I second Lee Extreme comfort pants. I got a few pairs, they are casual pants, I wear them to work.

The waistband and the entire material is very flexible.

Hands down, the Wrangler Authentics Relaxed Fit WITH the Comfort Flex waist, I've bought them without the comfort flex waist and they're entirely different.

I like the above idea from wrangler, never tried but I have something similar from LlBean which has a hidden stretch panel in the waist area on both sides, there's very little sign its there esp with a belt and my pants have never been an issue for years with that, belt or no.. THey also make Khakis and other styles with this but the price is up there... Bought the deluth pants years ago and wasn't that impressed also the pricetag is worst than Bean

Lucky jeans have been my go to for some time. They’re habitually on sale and at least once a year you can get their $100 pants for $40 a pair. I used to keep the Luckys as my going out jeans and use crappy cheaper jeans as worn jeans. I got tired of the compromise and now use Luck brand for both.

Lucky, 5.11, and the Costco $15 Kirkland are fantastic. As we age, another very comfortable jeans are the ones that look like jeans and feel like jeans but they are made of an elastic like material and they are as comfortable as sweatpants but they are jeans.

Back