Flying question: baggage

Lots of people engage in selfish, and self-serving, behavior without regard to anyone else around them.

Flight attendants hate people with slightly oversized bags, because it makes their life harder. Frequent flyers hate people with slightly oversize bags, because they are presumptuous and selfish. And the poor person who can’t get their bag in the overhead bin because somebody else’s bag is taking up two spaces, probably hates them too.
Exactly. If the rules say you can have "one carry-on bag + one small personal item", people stretch it to mean TWO carry-on bags, one just slightly smaller than the other. And of course neither of them fits under the seat. Or the second item is something bulky or fragile, like a piece of sporting equipment, an acoustic guitar or an Easter basket. The bins fill up fast when they're filled with guitars and wicker baskets.

I am sure some airports are worse for this kind of behavior than others. MCO, for example.

As others have said, it will need to fit into the device or they will check it at the gate.

If they are going to do any travel by train or metro make sure they have bags that will fit down to coorodors and that have great wheels and handles. I've seen far too many arrive with huge bags that they can't get on the train or metro

In my experience, Air France is the absolute worst with respect to enforcing their luggage size limits and weights. Don't for a minute use anyone's advice or experience that was gleaned from flying on any other airline! If your carry-on is 1 gram over their limit, or 1 mm over one of their dimensional limits, they will slap you with a fine.

In my experience, they can be even worse than that. I once spent an hour in Charles De Gaulle arguing with a check-in agent that my baggage did not violate any of their rules. Due to prior experience with Air France, I had even brought along printed images of their own web pages with their rules on it. She still insisted on fining me. Only the intervention of her supervisor finally resolved the problem. During that hour, as the only check-in agent that morning at that desk she let the line of check-in customers build and build, without any concern on her part. She was determined to collect her fine from me, come hell or high water. Her attitude was "you are an American tourist, I know you all violate the luggage rules, and I am going to find out which one you violated so I can collect my fine".

Despite that, I still fly Air France. Once they close the door on an airplane, they are a great airline. But their French check-in agents are the worst. I just make sure that I cannot be found to be in violation of any of their most up-to-date rules, and I carry images of their own webpages of their luggage rules with me.

Be forewarned!

She was determined to collect her fine from me, come hell or high water. Her attitude was "you are an American tourist, I know you all violate the luggage rules, and I am going to find out which one you violated so I can collect my fine".
That sounds just like my mother. "I know you've broken a rule, and I will keep prying until I find out which one it was!"

United will gate check your carry on bag for free. They often ask for volunteers.

Carry on is 22x14x9. Period.

If your bag is bigger, then it’s not a carry on, and you have fallen for the empty promises of a luggage salesman.

Add an inch or two, and it won’t fit the bins on some airplanes. Airplanes vary, but older ones have very tight bins, while newer ones, like the 737 MAX have capacious bins. If you’re on a MAX with your big bag, no worries.

Because of this, TSA won’t stop you. Neither will the gate agent. Not their job.

But on that other airplane, the one with the smaller bins, everyone around you will know you’re the jerk. Particularly the flight attendants, who have a name for people like that, and I can’t use it on BITOG.

By the way, here is the professional’s preference, not cheap, and it’s heavy, but it will last a long, long time.

And fit into every overhead bin.

Astro, thanks for you recommendation for luggage. I don’t travel enough on airlines to develop a good sense for luggage requirements. You just saved me a lot of time.

Now that I am thinking about it, the 2017 incident at CDG was even worse than I originally recalled. After she walked away from her desk and made a phone call, she finally agreed that I was not violating their luggage rules. I knew that I had an additional piece of luggage, though, and she asked for my credit card to pay for that. She swiped the card and we were on our way. But when I got home I discovered that she had overcharged me by 80 Euro on my credit card. I disputed it and filed a complaint with Air France. They looked into it, agreed with me that I had been overcharged, and remitted the difference plus some extra frequent flyer miles for good will.

Only on Air France!

Astro, thanks for you recommendation for luggage. I don’t travel enough on airlines to develop a good sense for luggage requirements. You just saved me a lot of time.
You’re welcome. Though, to be clear, I was showing everyone my bag. It’s a beast. Like buying a Snap-On. Lifetime service.

For most folks, get a TravelPro. Well made. Less costly. Lighter.

I bought my wife, my mom, and my daughter a TravelPro.

One like this: https://travelpro.com/collections/c...expandable-rollaboard®?variant=20371971211362

Fits everywhere. Two wheels (my preference). Can be expanded (and then checked, of course) if you do some shopping while on a trip.

On US carriers, nobody seems to care much about restrictions on what can be brought aboard. This along with mostly full flights results in ridiculous enplaning and deplaning times, a worry if you have to clear immigration before getting to your connecting flight with a trip through TSA on your way to it, as we did last night. We made it with twenty minutes to spare.
Our last leg, domestic, was on a little A319 which actually took a good twenty minutes to board and get everyone's excessive carry on bags stowed, since there was not an empty seat on the plane. This little guy did have updated and enormous bins, though. We had one carry-on each and I gate checked the one with nothing essential in it.
I was musing to my wife that maybe all airlines should start charging for carry-ons, which would reduce the volume to a more reasonable level. As any economist would say, if your want to see less of something, make it more expensive.

I've never seen size be an issue, just has to be under 50lbs.

Had a "lovely" bag checker refuse a bag cause it was 52lbs in Logan a few months ago.
Most of the in state flights I do, they don't pay much attention to weight... maybe it was like 80lbs, but not 2lbs over.

I've never seen size be an issue, just has to be under 50lbs.
I have to ask, then, how often do you fly?

Because I fly often, and I see size being an issue for carry on all the time.

All the time.

About 100% of the flights when I am in economy.

First class passengers know the drill and usually have properly sized carry on bags.

I have to ask, then, how often do you fly?

Because I fly often, and I see size being an issue for carry on all the time.

All the time.

About 100% of the flights when I am in economy.

First class passengers know the drill and usually have properly sized carry on bags.
I fly every few weeks. Thought we were talking about luggage. I’ve never had a carry on.
Get 3 bags for free, so no reason.

I fly every few weeks. Thought we were talking about luggage. I’ve never had a carry on.
Get 3 bags for free, so no reason.
OK. Makes sense. The original poster was asking about carry-on luggage on Air France.

I often have checked luggage too, and they handle oversize items like skis, pretty readily. In fact, if you have an oversize set of skis, they still do your regular checked bags for free.

United will gate check your carry on bag for free. They often ask for volunteers.

Carry on is 22x14x9. Period.

If your bag is bigger, then it’s not a carry on, and you have fallen for the empty promises of a luggage salesman.

Add an inch or two, and it won’t fit the bins on some airplanes. Airplanes vary, but older ones have very tight bins, while newer ones, like the 737 MAX have capacious bins. If you’re on a MAX with your big bag, no worries.

Because of this, TSA won’t stop you. Neither will the gate agent. Not their job.

But on that other airplane, the one with the smaller bins, everyone around you will know you’re the jerk. Particularly the flight attendants, who have a name for people like that, and I can’t use it on BITOG.

By the way, here is the professional’s preference, not cheap, and it’s heavy, but it will last a long, long time.

And fit into every overhead bin.

One problem with this type of heavy duty carry-on when flying Air France is that it will restrict your carry-on contents plus your personal items to 12 pounds (14# + 12# = 26# which is their limit for Economy Class). A lighter bag will allow you to pack more stuff and carry more personal items. Something to keep in mind ...

Last edited:
One problem with this type of heavy duty carry-on when flying Air France is that it will restrict your carry-on contents plus your personal items to 12 pounds (14# + 12# = 26# which is their limit for Economy Class). A lighter bag will allow you to pack more stuff and carry more personal items. Something to keep in mind ...
Agreed. Hence my recommendation for a TravelPro.

If your carry-on is 1 gram over their limit, or 1 mm over one of their dimensional limits, they will slap you with a fine.

Good. US carriers take note.

It's gotten so bad flying id rather spend 2 days in a car than fly and be mistreated by both the airlines and my fellow travelers.

On US carriers, nobody seems to care much about restrictions on what can be brought aboard. This along with mostly full flights results in ridiculous enplaning and deplaning times, a worry if you have to clear immigration before getting to your connecting flight with a trip through TSA on your way to it, as we did last night. We made it with twenty minutes to spare.
Our last leg, domestic, was on a little A319 which actually took a good twenty minutes to board and get everyone's excessive carry on bags stowed, since there was not an empty seat on the plane. This little guy did have updated and enormous bins, though. We had one carry-on each and I gate checked the one with nothing essential in it.
I was musing to my wife that maybe all airlines should start charging for carry-ons, which would reduce the volume to a more reasonable level. As any economist would say, if your want to see less of something, make it more expensive.

That’s what the ultra low carriers do. As much grief as Spirit gets, boarding is not an issue with them since few opt to pay their carry on fee. But then again their check in limit is 40 lbs, which likely trips up a lot of passengers who are used to 50 lbs being the limit.

As for myself, I just took a tape measure to my 22” carry on spinner that I prefer to use. With wheels and all protrusions it’s about 22.5”x15”x9”. But I believe it can be jammed into most sizers and doesn’t really present an issue in most overhead bins. The key is that they’ll ask to see it in the sizer and not whip out a tape measure.

Back