Maybe I missed it. 2018 Equinox Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
$7,000 more for an extra 7 mpg. Some stupid people will buy it.

15,000 miles a year at 28 mpg and $2.35 a gallon for the gas model is $1,259.

15,000 miles a year at 35 mpg and $2.52 a gallon for the diesel model is $1,080.

It would take 39 years to break even.

After actually reading the article I have a question?

Where did you get $7000?

its actually a cheaper engine upgrade on the premier than the turbo 2.0 gasser.

many people will be ordering the higher level packages with the 2.0L.. so you are looking at less money for the diesel or at most a couple thousand extra.

Quote:
Compared to the gasoline 1.5-liter turbo four, the diesel commands a premium of $3740 on LT trims and $2195 on the Premier. Compared with the gasoline 2.0-liter turbo four, the LT diesel costs $1345 more, but surprisingly, the diesel costs $600 less than the 2.0-liter on the Premier trim.

So That isnt a fair comparison for $7000
That would be like comparing the Forester XT limited vs the Forester I base model and saying it costs 12000 for the engine.. when there is also a forester I limited(with fb25).. that is only a few thousand cheaper

The article ls1mike posted says the price of the Equinox starts at $31,435. The MSRP of a 1.5L Equinox is $23,580 so actually closer to $8,000.

The main objective with buying the diesel model is saving money which you aren't going to do by buying a higher trim model.

That's like those people who have gone out and bought a brand new Prius when they already own a Corolla, it's dumb. Doesn't make a bit of financial sense.

These calculations are the same with all hybrid vehicles too, from a financial standpoint they don't make sense, it takes decades for the fuel savings to repay themselves.

The article ls1mike posted says the price of the Equinox starts at $31,435. The MSRP of a 1.5L Equinox is $23,580 so actually closer to $8,000.

The main objective with buying the diesel model is saving money which you aren't going to do by buying a higher trim model.

That's like those people who have gone out and bought a brand new Prius when they already own a Corolla, it's dumb. Doesn't make a bit of financial sense.

These calculations are the same with all hybrid vehicles too, from a financial standpoint they don't make sense, it takes decades for the fuel savings to repay themselves.

I would bet the diesel is only available in a higher trim package, so in addition to the engine you're getting a lot more equipment too. Most people buying a diesel buy it for the cool factor don't want a base model.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
And then the very $$$ injector pump is due for replacement. The mighty Diesels Achilles heel!

Almost all diesels built in the last 10 years are common rail, and don't have injector pumps.

So, technical inaccuracy set aside (I did regret making that post after I failed to confirm the fueling layout of the new engine) - are there any high-dollar equivalents of the $X,XXX injector pump of yore, in todays common rail? Or is the fuel supplied to the piezo (now solenoid on this engine) injectors at, say, gasoline-comparable pressure isntead? Well... all right, there's gonna be costly emissions stuff to deal with at the vehicle's mid-life point, I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I would bet the diesel is only available in a higher trim package, so in addition to the engine you're getting a lot more equipment too. Most people buying a diesel buy it for the cool factor don't want a base model.
But if the objective is to save money on fuel, it wouldn't make sense spending thousands of dollars extra for a higher trim level.

The same LT trim level for the gas engine is $27,695, a $4,000 difference. That's comparing apples to apples.

Saving $179 on fuel per year still means it takes 22 years to break even.

$7,000 more for an extra 7 mpg. Some stupid people will buy it.

15,000 miles a year at 28 mpg and $2.35 a gallon for the gas model is $1,259.

15,000 miles a year at 35 mpg and $2.52 a gallon for the diesel model is $1,080.

It would take 39 years to break even.

Yes GM is reaching for everyone's pocket book there is no way they have over $1500 more in that engine than this gas engine. My Duramax will give me near 22 MPG on a trip if I'm not towing. But diesel here is nearly $3. Remember those cheap little VW diesel Pu's that used to get 55 plus MPG?

Last edited:
I love diesels but some other issues also come up: Cost of DEF, while usually not much on an unloaded vehicle. I bet this engine uses timing belts and probably requires a Euro oil or Dexos 2, which as far as I can ever find is much more expensive than CK4 oil.

But another aspect, which is prevalent in Saskatchewan is that sure gas is cheaper right now, it fluctuates drastically. Today is 95.9 cents/liter. Next week it could be 1.02$ a liter. Diesel just chugs along at a very consistent price.

In 2011 when I bought my 1500 gas was less than a buck a liter. In a week or two the price was 1.20$ a liter.

I now own a Cummins and love it. It is a highway monster. My 1500 hemi could never touch the real world unloaded/loaded mileage this thing gets. Sure I have DEF, expensive fuel filters (2), CCV filter once in a while and the extra mandated maintenance on the AS69RC but when I calculated my loaded miles and cost it still is better than a gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back