7.3 diesel Super Dutys' still fetching premium used price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty sure 245/75 16 and 265/75 16 tires will be sold for a long time. Tires like 235/85 16 are already hard to find though

Im pretty sure 245/75 16 and 265/75 16 tires will be sold for a long time. Tires like 235/85 16 are already hard to find though
The issue isn't if the tires can be purchased- the issue is can you easily obtain the tires.

A good test- call the Firestone Dealer in the following towns and see if they have a 2002 F350 Super Duty tire in stock:
Bismarck ND,
Springfield, IL
Winslow, AZ
Cookeville, TN

The above towns are all on a interstate. I would not take an even money bet that they have a 2002 F350 super duty tire on their shelf. But I would take an even money bet they have a 2005 F350 Super Duty tire on their shelf.

The issue isn't if the tires can be purchased- the issue is can you easily obtain the tires.

A good test- call the Firestone Dealer in the following towns and see if they have a 2002 F350 Super Duty tire in stock:
Bismarck ND,
Springfield, IL
Winslow, AZ
Cookeville, TN

The above towns are all on a interstate. I would not take an even money bet that they have a 2002 F350 super duty tire on their shelf. But I would take an even money bet they have a 2005 F350 Super Duty tire on their shelf.
What size are your tires? I just looked and discount tire has multiple options for 265/75 16 tires near me. Walmart doesn't though. And i don't use Firestone tire shops

Couple years ago I put my 2000 F250 2wd 7.3L diesel up for sale for $5k here in Vegas. Ad was up for 3 months and no takers . Not even a low ball. 235k miles, body not rough but not perfect, all fluids and filters fresh and new Motorcraft ball joints all around and new tires.. Makes me glad I decided to keep it seeing what they're going for now

Bismarck ND,
Springfield, IL
Winslow, AZ
Cookeville, TN

Why don't you do your test?

One last data point, from Modern Tire Dealer at the following link: https://www.moderntiredealer.com/re...es-continue-to-dominate-passenger-lt-segments

Here's the list of the 10 top U.S. replacement light truck tire sizes, plus the percent of the market they comprise, listed in parentheses:

1. LT265/70R17 (8.4%)

2. LT245/75R16 (8.2%)

3. LT275/70R18 (7.4%)

4. LT225/75R16 (6.6%)

5. LT245/75R17 (6%)

6. LT235/80R17 (4.1%)

7. LT265/75R16 (4.1%)

8. 235/65R16C (3.7%)

9. LT285/70R17 (3.7%)

10. LT275/65R18 (3.5%)

Note that there are 4 16" Tire sizes in the most common replacement tires for LT tires, including the LT265/75R16 that was typical on superdutys of the vintage you refer to at the 7th most common size. As noted, the 235/85R16s are getting harder to find though... The 265 and 245 sizes cover a lot of ground though - representing over 12% of the LT tire replacement market.

You are splitting hairs that really don't exist in all practicality...

Also, for what its worth, for LT265/75R16s Load Range E:

Discount tire in:

Grand Forks, ND (No Discount in Bismarck): 5 Different Options in stock, including Michelin, BFG, Goodyear, and Cooper
Springfield, IL: 3 Different Options in stock, including a Goodyear
Flagstaff, AZ: (No Discount in Winslow): 5 Different Options in stock, including Michelin, Goodyear, and Cooper.
Lebanon, TN: (Closest to Cookeville): 1 brand in stock, non name brand.

The harder to find 235/85R16's are also available in stock at the same locations.

Last edited:
GON, trying to convince you that heavy duty 16" tires aren't a rare thing is a lost cause and a moot point, since you already made the upgrade.

You do know that your truck has a spare mounted underneath it though, do you not?

Did you also upgrade that to 18"? Not sure that it would matter for a spare as long as the total circumference is close enough, just curious.

Personally, I like smaller rim size with taller rubber, vs. the other way around. I feel they ride better and are more forgiving of bumps and potholes and I believe they handle better in wet or icy conditions.

I have the same 2002 F350 but with the 6.8L V10 gasser and a 4.3 rear/ short bed. Very reliable truck. Not an issue, but the front end does have manual grease points, some of the zerks require a special fitting to get to unless front wheels are removed. I just spent $1200 on lower front seat leathers, new lower cushions, and new seat heating element.

The four speed auto trans in this truck is regarded as very reliable.
Here's my group's work truck, a 2002 F350 4x4 6.8 l. We ran this one from 2002 to 2013. We towed three ATVs on the trailer. It served us well.
008 INROCS inspection - truck & trailer (logo obscured).jpg

Reactions: GON
I've noticed most tire shops don't carry a lot of stock. It gets delivered to them on the truck multiple times per day.
This^^^^
Many tire shops cannot stock the myriad of sizes in use today and they buy from a local tire distributor. They are in stock with same day or next day delivery in a big warehouse. There is very little incentive to tie up money in inventory in their shop.

This^^^^
Many tire shops cannot stock the myriad of sizes in use today and they buy from a local tire distributor. They are in stock with same day or next day delivery in a big warehouse. There is very little incentive to tie up money in inventory in their shop.
This route is inevitable for everything car-related. Not just tires. Even for parts it's too hard to have everything in every parts store but with big investments in DCs and hubs it's possible to get almost everything same-day or worst case next-day.

Reactions: CKN
Well worth it. My wife and I still daily drive 1999 superdutys with the 7.3. Both over 600,000 miles. Extremely reliable. Any issues and their symptoms are well known and fairly easy to diagnose.

Reliability, capability, and economy of a modern diesel or gasser doesn't come close.

Spray with oil, no rust. We have other vehicles also, but those two are our dailys for good reason.

I've experienced them in a fleet situation as well and they were excellent compared to anything else we've ever had.

Not sure I concur that the 16's will be readily available by a top manufacturer in "E" rating over the long haul. My life experience says that tire in 16" E rating is a risk in future availability. I went to great lengths to get the 18" rims to mitigate the risk.
Not sure if you're aware of how many GM Expresss/Savana 2500 & 3500 vans there are on the road! Just about ALL of them take LT245/75R16E tires, 265s will fit but they can rub in the front. 17s & 18s are becoming more common, but IMHO the 16 LREs are still king. FYI-if I need to tow something a long distance, I actually carry TWO spares... Last thing I want is to lose a tire in the middle of "scenic nowhere"! As I've stated before here. we had an '04 E-350 with the 7.3 PSD make it over 660K on the original engine & transmission. Lots of towing, too! By the end, the 4R100 had enough updates that they were getting pretty bulletproof with semi-regular fluid changes.

Reactions: GON
GON, trying to convince you that heavy duty 16" tires aren't a rare thing is a lost cause and a moot point, since you already made the upgrade.

You do know that your truck has a spare mounted underneath it though, do you not?

Did you also upgrade that to 18"? Not sure that it would matter for a spare as long as the total circumference is close enough, just curious.

Personally, I like smaller rim size with taller rubber, vs. the other way around. I feel they ride better and are more forgiving of bumps and potholes and I believe they handle better in wet or icy conditions.
A 2500 or 3500 truck beats on you (unless overloaded like most of ours)-the taller rubber is a LOT easier on the old back! Friends of mine have actually had leaves removed from the back springs to try to mitigate the abuse (misguided, drive the car unless hauling).

The premium price for quality older vehicles doesn't surprise me at all. If you spent any time in poorer countries this has always been the case. If a new F350 is $80K, then a good condition 20 year old one is at least worth 1/3. Their valued based on their utility to move people and goods from place to place. A used one will do that same job, just with a few more repairs occasionally needed. So its worth a lot to them. Any vehicle is.

Its long been the case in the Western world that any older vehicle was junk and should be disposed of. Proof is walk through a wrecking yard and look at all the 10 year old vehicles, not smashed, not rusted out, but obviously unloved and mistreated by their owner and something broke so they scrapped it.

Perhaps the sudden value of older vehicles is simply part of our path away from our unsustainable disposable society? Lots of people claim to be green, but the carbon footprint of a vehicle on the road already is always smaller to maintain the existing, rather than scrap it and invest the carbon to build a new one - no matter what gas mileage it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back