2016 BMW 535d - Opinions?

One last update to this thread, then I'll start a new one with anything new and noteworthy. So, before I bought the car the seller told me he had never had any recall repairs done, and a NHTSA recall check showed zero open recalls for this car's VIN. But he gave me a copy of the most recent service performed by our local BMW dealer in June '23, and it clearly stated that the EGR cooler recall was performed. So either he withheld the info, or didn't remember it, or simply didn't know. His wife's name was on the service paperwork so I'm going to assume he just didn't know the details of what was done. He's a retired Air Force guy who seemed like a great dude, he just didn't strike me as a DIY car guy, which is fine; not everyone geeks out over cars/maintenance like we do.

One last update to this thread, then I'll start a new one with anything new and noteworthy. So, before I bought the car the seller told me he had never had any recall repairs done, and a NHTSA recall check showed zero open recalls for this car's VIN. But he gave me a copy of the most recent service performed by our local BMW dealer in June '23, and it clearly stated that the EGR cooler recall was performed. So either he withheld the info, or didn't remember it, or simply didn't know. His wife's name was on the service paperwork so I'm going to assume he just didn't know the details of what was done. He's a retired Air Force guy who seemed like a great dude, he just didn't strike me as a DIY car guy, which is fine; not everyone geeks out over cars/maintenance like we do.
IIRC one of the EGR recalls was a different tune that would lower the EGR flow when possible, so that the EGR cooler wouldn't plug with soot as fast. All my research is on the 335d though

IIRC one of the EGR recalls was a different tune that would lower the EGR flow when possible, so that the EGR cooler wouldn't plug with soot as fast. All my research is on the 335d though
Honestly, I have no idea exactly what the EGR recall repair entails, except what is stated as the corrective action in the recall. It states:
Replace the EGR cooler and clean the EGR intake pipe
Replace the coolant line from exhaust gas recirculation cooler to coolant pump
Perform an air intake manifold test through ISAT and based off the results of the test plan, replace the intake manifold (if test failed)
Register the new EGR cooler through ISTA

So I assume all of these things were done on mine back in June. But in reality, I'll never know with 100% certainty.

Honestly, I have no idea exactly what the EGR recall repair entails, except what is stated as the corrective action in the recall. It states:
Replace the EGR cooler and clean the EGR intake pipe
Replace the coolant line from exhaust gas recirculation cooler to coolant pump
Perform an air intake manifold test through ISAT and based off the results of the test plan, replace the intake manifold (if test failed)
Register the new EGR cooler through ISTA

So I assume all of these things were done on mine back in June. But in reality, I'll never know with 100% certainty.

When the EGR cooler fails the exhaust gases can melt the intake causing a boost leak or fire.

Plastic intake? Would be nice if there was an aluminum one available.
That’s a great idea if you want to ensure the coolant from the failed EGR cooler goes into the cylinders and hydraulics the engine.

This can and does happen currently but more commonly the intake melts first saving the engine.

Back