2016 BMW 535d - Opinions?

Autologic was the bee's knees 10 years ago...pretty much useless these days.

Reality is, if you just need a shop to change oil, replace brakes, hang suspension parts and fix an oil leak or two, any "Euro shop" can do it. The difference is when you really have an issue, which is gonna happen on one of these, will they be the shop that can accurately diagnose it on the first visit....or will they keep hanging parts until they give up and send you to the dealer?
I'll definitely do my due diligence if I decide this is something I want. I need to visit the indy and ask them a few questions, since I'll likely need a shop for my wife's X3 at some point anyway.

Here's a pic of the 535 in question, for reference. My stupid phone camera auto-blurred too much.

2016 BMW 535d.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at 328d‘s for 4 years now. I understand the allure. The price would have to be right, because in all likelihood, the repairs for these will be heavy-handed when they hit, and you are at the mercy of a limited group of qualified techs.

I’ve been looking at 328d‘s for 4 years now. I understand the allure. The price would have to be right, because in all likelihood, the repairs for these will be heavy-handed when they hit, and you are at the mercy of a limited group of qualified techs.
I test drove a 328d as a replacement for my 335d and was not only underwhelmed but scared to death that BMW had not addressed the timing chain problem which has been a big issue in the UK.

I test drove a 328d as a replacement for my 335d and was not only underwhelmed but scared to death that BMW had not addressed the timing chain problem which has been a big issue in the UK.
Ah, that engine cannot hold a candle to M57.
M57 is a jewel among engines! Will never get over the X5 35d I got rid of.

I would stay away. Have a Google into the UK polices experience with them. Also they have had multiple recalls for emissions equipment over the years. Some cars have had engines replaced due to this as well. Bloke I work with had an engine replaced FOC on a 150,000 miles car due to issues and the recall that was on it at the time.

You can fix a bmw with just an autel... it's a painful process and I would recommend getting ista if you're going to diy anything major

You can fix a bmw with just an autel... it's a painful process and I would recommend getting ista if you're going to diy anything major
If I buy it, and I'm leaning towards "No", any major work would be done by an indy BMW mechanic. I've got bad arthritis that is getting worse and nowadays simply doing oil changes has me hurting for several days after.

A guy near my work has a very nice looking 2016 BMW 535d (Diesel) for sale with 57k miles. Right now, I'm only passively interested, but I'd like to hear BITOG's opinion on this car, or similar BMW diesel models. Depending on what you all tell me, I may look into it more. Thanks.
If you look at multiple BMW forums and the high pressure fuel pump seems to be the only real replacement over the course of 100k miles. I would give it a serious look. My only suggestion is to see if your local bmw dealership or independent repair shop can or has experience working on them.

+1

Don't test drive unless you really plan on buying it. I drove a 335D and now I've been lusting after one since. The low end torque even stock is incredible. Just effortlessly gets up to speed.
Almost like a Tesla with double the range

+1

Don't test drive unless you really plan on buying it. I drove a 335D and now I've been lusting after one since. The low end torque even stock is incredible. Just effortlessly gets up to speed.
Words of wisdom!

I made the same "mistake" years ago with an 86 325es (manual).
I was looking for another VW GTI/Rabbit and only went to "check it out" to amuse myself.

Back