Manual Transmission Sales Are Up Again This Year

Which mainstream new cars as of right now have available manual transmissions (in US or Canada)?

Honda Civic
Hyundai Accent/Venue/Veloster
Nissan Versa
Nissan 400Z
VW Jetta
Mini Cooper
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Corolla GR
Toyota 86
Chevy Camaro
Ford Mustang
Subaru BRZ

Any others?
Acura Integra

fellas, I understand those tranny's are offered but how many for sale vehicles do you think you could find in your area with a manual trans?

All the country kids learn how to drive a manual, although it's awfully hard to find a manual to learn with. The kids who don't drive are the kids who have to pay for their own insurance, and nobody wants to spend $1000+ a year when they can get their mom to drive them for free

Another thing I'm not seeing talked about here, is how advanced and superior, not to mention how much faster shifting, today's modern 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions are. When compared to how the old 3 speed automatics were, "back in the day".

When you go back to the 60's muscle car era, most every high performance car tested back then, ran a faster 1/4 mile with a 4 speed stick than it did with a 3 speed automatic. (Assuming you had a person who knew how to drive it).

Today that's not the case, because the automatics have more gears than the stick transmissions do. (Usually 6 compared to 8 or 10 the auto's have).

The ZF 8 speed for example, is a mechanical work of art. It can also take the high horsepower these modern engines can dish out. The older Torque Flight's and Hydramatics would often fail in the older muscle cars if they were pushed, because they couldn't take the power as well without breaking.

There was / is simply no comparison of yesterdays 3 speed automatics, to todays 8 and 10 speed versions. No one in the 60's produced a factory automatic transmission that could not only handle the 700+ horsepower of a Dodge Demon, but also deliver that power to the road so efficiently, as today's 8 speed ZF can.

Simply put, there is no longer any performance advantage to having a manual. If you still feel the "need" to manually shift for the fun of it, most all of these modern 8 and 10 speed automatics offered today have a shifter paddle mode to drive in.

The death of manual transmissions has been greatly exaggerated. Plenty of new cars available with a stick. Mostly VWs, but also Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, etc.
2022 was the last year for a stick in a Corolla minus the rare hot hatch. Nissan Canada offers a Sentra with a stick but you can’t get one here in the USA. I do t think you can get any Chevy with a stick now, even the Vette and Colorado.

Jeeps can be had with MT's still. Most cars are trending toward CVT's which I personally dislike. I DO like DCT's and how fast they shift but wouldn't want to pay to rebuild one. Torque converters and high speed computers allow 700HP engines to co-exist with 8 gears, big meat tires and heavy foot. I have driven and now prefer AT's over manual transmission cars as a convenience. Latte in one hand, egg Mcmuffin in other hand, cell phone in lap.....MT? j/k

Chevy Camaro only. Nissan Versa not exactly a sports car. Same with VW Golf and Jetta
Incorrect on Golf, they only make GTI(228HP) and R(320HP) which are more towards sports end of cars. Lessor Golf no longer sold here. They have a base Jetta though with manual alongside the sportier 228HP GLI.

Manual transmission vehicles pose a plethora of development problems with the auto safety systems. An automatic transmission is very predictable as it’s computer controlled.

A manual transmission vehicle is highly unpredictable so development take a lot longer for car makers to adapt their systems .

CAFE has something to with the demise of the manual gearbox
the internet and the smartphone have something else to do with the demise
general lack of interest in vehicles also has something to do with the demise
as well as the general ease of use and advantages a modern automatic transmission has
over the older manual gearbox
throw in manufacturing costs of a low volume unit, and that manual tranny is becoming the Dodo bird.
Yeah. I watched a video where the EPA had slapped a big penalty on manual transmissions because there is a momentary rise in pollutants when shifting. Apparently, when you abruptly close the throttle when shifting, there is a blip increase on emissions. So modern transmissions “hang” the throttle when someone shifts, to prevent this emissions.

It’s such a shame that emissions have to destroy the fun of driving manual cars. I really must say something like this sounds like diminishing returns to me. Let us have our manuals.

Manual transmission vehicles pose a plethora of development problems with the auto safety systems. An automatic transmission is very predictable as it’s computer controlled.

A manual transmission vehicle is highly unpredictable so development take a lot longer for car makers to adapt their systems .

Yet if you ask Euro centric design houses (not sold in us) they never mention those issues. AKA It’s a uniquely US problem

Survey wise it’s not just old farts that want sticks, it has floated 10%+ demand in this country across age brackets (down from 25% years back)
IMG_4494.jpeg

It’s not a matter that nobody wants them, the people that do increasingly don’t buy new cars and thus don’t have a choice unless they do a trans swap.

How do you know they are? And since when did being completely clueless become a "gig"? And if it is, there are a hell of a lot of people competing for the job.

And if it's such a hilarious set up, where were these videos 40 or 50 years ago?... You know, back when we were walking on the Moon because of Nazi's.
Why didn’t you quote my entire post? I explain the other possibility.

You also don’t seem to grasp today’s reality that everyone has a camera and a microphone in the pocket and can engage in street journalism, comedy, whatever at their whim.

And finally, you are at least correct about the moon landings, if it weren’t for the Nazis, your generation would not have been smart enough to even build the rockets.

st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Another thing I'm not seeing talked about here, is how advanced and superior, not to mention how much faster shifting, today's modern 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions are. When compared to how the old 3 speed automatics were, "back in the day".

When you go back to the 60's muscle car era, most every high performance car tested back then, ran a faster 1/4 mile with a 4 speed stick than it did with a 3 speed automatic. (Assuming you had a person who knew how to drive it).

Today that's not the case, because the automatics have more gears than the stick transmissions do. (Usually 6 compared to 8 or 10 the auto's have).

The ZF 8 speed for example, is a mechanical work of art. It can also take the high horsepower these modern engines can dish out. The older Torque Flight's and Hydramatics would often fail in the older muscle cars if they were pushed, because they couldn't take the power as well without breaking.

There was / is simply no comparison of yesterdays 3 speed automatics, to todays 8 and 10 speed versions. No one in the 60's produced a factory automatic transmission that could not only handle the 700+ horsepower of a Dodge Demon, but also deliver that power to the road so efficiently, as today's 8 speed ZF can.

Simply put, there is no longer any performance advantage to having a manual. If you still feel the "need" to manually shift for the fun of it, most all of these modern 8 and 10 speed automatics offered today have a shifter paddle mode to drive in.
All true, but if I was buying a fun gas car to keep and appreciate, I would get the manual version while you can... An EV with some good speakers can simulate an automatic car pretty easily.
My buddy just bought a 22 Camaro SS 1LE with a manual because one of these years, its going to be the last one, and its what he wanted. Also a couple of his buddies dumped their automatic Camaro's due to the bad shift quality and they didn't want to be on the hook for a transmission.... The fact that its a few tenths slower in the quarter isn't a big deal to him.

I do wonder what the cheapest atx car is paddle shifters that rev matches downshifts well? Even my Outback shifts pretty fast in manual mode, but the lack of rev matching on downshifts makes it feel awkward in the lower gears, zipping around town, and so I leave it in D.

Wasn’t it the “smart” generations of prior that made a Nazi the head of the space program and then gave him a hero parade? And to this day you guys celebrate him as an American hero, talk about ignorance🙄
I think that was willful ignorance - "This WVB guy knows his stuff. Let's pretend we don't know about his past".

The Soviets had a joke after the U.S. launched Explorer 1 in January 1958, almost four months after Sputnik (October 4, 1957):

"We thought it would be nice if Sputnik could talk to the new American satellite, so we taught it to speak English. Unfortunately, the American satellite could only speak German."

I'm not "making them up" to be anything. This stuff is all over the place. All you have to do is look it up, or punch it into You Tube. Kimmel and Jay Leno have been doing this kind of stuff for years. While it might seem so, they're not staging this, or making it up. These kids are honestly that stupid.

These idiots don't know the simplest of questions. They can't name 3 countries on a world map. They don't know who won the Civil War. They have no idea who we fought in WW 2. And as I said, a large portion of them can't tell time on a clock face...... But they can name every Kardashian girl.

I wouldn't have made it out of the 5th grade not knowing what the bulk of these high school kids are at a total loss for today. And it's getting worse every year. It's no wonder why these kids are still living at home until they're 27 years old.

"The average age when people move out of their parent's home is somewhere between 24 and 27".
Those are the cherry picked interviews where kid did not know those facts. They omit the ones where person actually answers correctly. Media can depict whatever facts they want to sway you.

Living at home has little to do with perceived “intelligence”. There are many factors now (rent costs not inline with pay, lack of housing builds from 2010+, and tuition costs not inline with pay) that drove up numbers besides lack of ambition.

I think that was willful ignorance - "This WVB guy knows his stuff. Let's pretend we don't know about his past".

The Soviets had a joke after the U.S. launched Explorer 1 in January 1958, almost four months after Sputnik (October 4, 1957):

"We thought it would be nice if Sputnik could talk to the new American satellite, so we taught it to speak English. Unfortunately, the American satellite could only speak German."
From the people that “hired” him yes, but I’m sure a lot of Americans, I would venture to say most, were not aware that he was a Nazi. I bet to this day most don’t even realize what exactly he was responsible for in WW2 and that he should’ve been tried as a war criminal and either shot or spent the rest of his life in jail. Instead he’s an American hero.

I'm not "making them up" to be anything. This stuff is all over the place. All you have to do is look it up, or punch it into You Tube. Kimmel and Jay Leno have been doing this kind of stuff for years. While it might seem so, they're not staging this, or making it up. These kids are honestly that stupid.

These idiots don't know the simplest of questions. They can't name 3 countries on a world map. They don't know who won the Civil War. They have no idea who we fought in WW 2. And as I said, a large portion of them can't tell time on a clock face...... But they can name every Kardashian girl.

I wouldn't have made it out of the 5th grade not knowing what the bulk of these high school kids are at a total loss for today. And it's getting worse every year. It's no wonder why these kids are still living at home until they're 27 years old.

"The average age when people move out of their parent's home is somewhere between 24 and 27".
I know we're kinda getting off topic here, but I can't imagine why people are moving out older -
my first apartment was a bit less than $300/mo in the mid 2000's, that same exact unit now with minimal renovations (my current work is near it) is over $2000/mo now.

Also sidenote - I'm a millennial that's actually met Jay Leno! He had a friend here in WA whom had a steam car collection and I came to know through one of my automotive instructors in college (no idea if he's still around, this was nearly a decade ago). The brief talk I had with him he had lots of good things to say about the younger car enthusiast generation.

From the people that “hired” him yes, but I’m sure a lot of Americans, I would venture to say most, were not aware that he was a Nazi. I bet to this day most don’t even realize what exactly he was responsible for in WW2 and that he should’ve been tried as a war criminal and either shot or spent the rest of his life in jail. Instead he’s an American hero.
That information is pretty mainstream now, and has shown up in pop culture. It was a major part of the plotline in one of the early episodes of the brilliant alternative history series "For All Mankind".

WVB's autobiography was titled something like "I Aim For The Stars".

An Englishman allegedly commented that the subtitle should have been "but sometimes I miss and hit London".

Back